Stalin Organ - First spotted by...

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
LegalAssassin

Stalin Organ - First spotted by...

Post by LegalAssassin » 19 Dec 2003, 23:09

Who was it? Was it finnish scouts, and if so, which finnish scouts?

Anybody know?

(PS: How the hell do you spell that in russian, anyway?) :P

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Stalin Organ - First spotted by...

Post by Robert Rojas » 20 Dec 2003, 09:00

Greetings to both citizen 'Legal Assassin' and the community as a whole. In reference to your inquiry of Friday - December 19, 2003 - 10:09pm, old Uncle Bob would like to suggest the following thread for your perusal. The thread in question is simply entitled as KATUSHAS and it is located within the EQUIPMENT OF THE ALLIES & THE NEUTRAL STATES section of the forum. The author goes by the nom de plume of Witness and its creation date is Wednesday - November 27, 2002 - 3:40am. I believe you will find the answer of which you seek within this thread. I hope cousin Witnesses thread proves to be relevant to your interests. In anycase, I would like to bid you a wonderful day over the land of the midnight sun.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob 8)

Ike_FI

Re: Stalin Organ - First spotted by...

Post by Ike_FI » 20 Dec 2003, 12:47

LegalAssassin wrote:Who was it? Was it finnish scouts, and if so, which finnish scouts?

Anybody know?

(PS: How the hell do you spell that in russian, anyway?) :P
Mr. Rojas is referring to the following thread:
http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11209

According to my knowledge, it was couple of months later when the Finns first encountered Soviet Katjusha's. Below is a picture of one projectile that landed unexploded into Finnish positions late in the war.
Attachments
rocket.JPG
M-31 Soviet Rocket
rocket.JPG (37.84 KiB) Viewed 965 times

LegalAssassin

Re: RE: Stalin Organ - First spotted by...

Post by LegalAssassin » 20 Dec 2003, 18:48

Robert Rojas wrote:Greetings to both citizen 'Legal Assassin' and the community as a whole. In reference to your inquiry of Friday - December 19, 2003 - 10:09pm, old Uncle Bob would like to suggest the following thread for your perusal. The thread in question is simply entitled as KATUSHAS and it is located within the EQUIPMENT OF THE ALLIES & THE NEUTRAL STATES section of the forum. The author goes by the nom de plume of Witness and its creation date is Wednesday - November 27, 2002 - 3:40am. I believe you will find the answer of which you seek within this thread. I hope cousin Witnesses thread proves to be relevant to your interests. In anycase, I would like to bid you a wonderful day over the land of the midnight sun.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob 8)
Thanks, but I'm referring to the first time it was actually spotted. First finnish and first german spotting, when and who saw it?

Liked the info, cheers!

Harri

Post by Harri » 20 Dec 2003, 20:56

According to Finnish P. Kantakoski troops of 12. Panzer-Division were the first Germans to encounter Katyusha fire on 12.7.1941 during the battle of Smolensk.

I couldn't find out when Finns exactly met Katyushas but I have an idea it happened later in Olonets during the Autumn 1941 - like Ike suggested too. I think I have also heard that Finnish LRP troops would have met launcher vehicles somewhere before that but I don't remember any details. But I try to find this piece of information.

LegalAssassin

Post by LegalAssassin » 22 Dec 2003, 01:47

Harri wrote:According to Finnish P. Kantakoski troops of 12. Panzer-Division were the first Germans to encounter Katyusha fire on 12.7.1941 during the battle of Smolensk.

I couldn't find out when Finns exactly met Katyushas but I have an idea it happened later in Olonets during the Autumn 1941 - like Ike suggested too. I think I have also heard that Finnish LRP troops would have met launcher vehicles somewhere before that but I don't remember any details. But I try to find this piece of information.
The reason for me asking is that my relative who was in the scouting bussines during the Winterwar was in the group who were the first to see a Katyusha among either finnish or all axis troops.

Thanks!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”