Soviet-Finnish Winter War 1939-1940 (first three days)

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Octavianus

Soviet-Finnish Winter War 1939-1940 (first three days)

Post by Octavianus » 26 Jun 2002 11:23

Ave populus,

Does anyone know any details about the crossing of the Soviet Red Army troops at Rajakoki, Joutselka, Lipola on November 30th respectively December 1st 1939. I am especially looking for any details about the small skirmishes at Palkeala, Terijoki and Usukirkko. Any help is appreciated. As always:-)

Thanks,

Octavianus

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 26 Jun 2002 16:31

I'll try to find something for tomorrow,after i check my bookshelf.Now i must repare myself for first episode of Band of Brothers in Finnish tv :D

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 27 Jun 2002 16:10

First three days of Winter War.

Guarding the border in Finnish side were 21600 men of protection/frontier guard units,with 71 guns/mortars and 29 anti tank guns.They were faced 120ooo men of the first wave of Russian 7th army with 900 guns/mortars and 1400 tanks.Main Russian attack was aimed to Terijoki(whitch offered best and shortest roads to Viipuri) and against Lipola.Finnish troops at frontier were not expected to stop the enemy but only delay it's advance and destroy houses(to deny from enemy a warm shelter),bridges etc.Troops fought well,althought sometimes they withrew too easily(because ill cordinated communication with other units and of course men were inexperienced to war) but Russian advance was slow and they were inexperienced too.2.12.39 two falce rumours (that Russians were beached to puumala and they had advanced to Sormula in main line)caused needless rethread from Vammelsuu.First skirmished had caused Russians some casualties but Mannerheim was less than satisfied,he had wanted more active defence at border but that would propably caused Finnish troops to be cut-off and simpy drown under Russian masses.

And now some details.

In Rajajoki was 2st and 1st frontier guard company and behind that jager battalion 1 in Terijoki.Finnish frontier guards shot couple of Russians and detonated railroad bridge in Rajajoki(about 10 Russians were defusing 300kg of tnt when it was detonated).1st company was under captain Erkki Paloheimo command.1st jaeger battalion stopped Russian advance in Matinmaki.That was first day of war in Rajajoki/Terijoki.

In lipola were 2th jaeger battalion.Russian marched in closed formation to Levonmaki base in Midle of Lipolan village.Finnish defenders thought that they were withrawing Finnish border unit and Russian stormed base with heavy fire and handgrenades.Crew of 2 Finnish mg were killed,little over 10 men.They were propably among first Finnish kia in Winter War.Heavy fire pinned Russians to base and they were unable to continue even 2 tanks came to reinforce.1.12 Russians gave harrashing artillery fire but in afternoon loud talk and movement indicated oncoming attack.With infantry fire support Russians attacked but Finnish artillery and mortar barrage stopped it to dead on tracks.Clearly barrage was surprise to them.2.12 Finns withrew from Lipola.

That's all i could scrape together.

Chears Juha.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”