Pictures from Tali-Ihantala battles commemoration 2.7.2004

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Bair

Post by Bair » 09 Jul 2004, 19:36

Hi there,

Russian veterans were not present at the event, which is a bit of a pity, IMHO. I tried to find Russian veterans of Tali-Ihantala battle but only managed to find two of them, both of very old age and unable to attend due to poor health.

I think that most of the Russian veterans are not even aware that there was Finnish volunteer Waffen SS battalion and Russian police who were observing the event are not good in identifying Finnish decorations.

As I was translating for Helsingin Sanomat journalists at Vuosalmi (the article was published on 7.7), where Soviet and Finnish war veterans met, the Russian vets did not have anything against the Finns at all, and the Finnish veteran also softened after talking to them a bit (in the beginning he did not want to see them at all).

With best regards,

Bair

jasteri

Post by jasteri » 09 Jul 2004, 19:59

Yes, this event was organised by the Finns and I don't think much of it was mentioned in the Russian press. At least I didn't see any russian vets, only official russian representatives and a few police. I was tould that this was the first time russian officials let Finns organise such a big event.

Here is a picture of a Waffen-SS commemorative cross that is actually for sale in a finnish Internet auction. The price is now over 720 EUR, partly because of the small number (under 200). Not a very clear picture but you get the idea. Can submit better pictures if you want but I thought this was fun because it's for sale!

Cheers,

Jasteri
Attachments
muistoristi.jpg
muistoristi.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 09 Jul 2004, 20:02

Bair wrote: I think that most of the Russian veterans are not even aware that there was Finnish volunteer Waffen SS battalion and Russian police who were observing the event are not good in identifying Finnish decorations.
Why don't they have an internet in Russia.

Here is finnish SS volunteer ( Viking ) history:

http://www.feldgrau.com/finland.html

They were always in the toughest spots and lost a lot of men + all their armed vehicles.

best regards,

Juke T / Oulu

jasteri

Post by jasteri » 09 Jul 2004, 20:03

Sotka wrote:Thanks Jasteri for sharing these great pics!

Regards,

Tuomo A.
I have more pictures and should get even more soon if you want to see more please let me know. Also have digi-video footage.

Regards,

Juuso

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 09 Jul 2004, 20:09

About the Ostmedaille. Does anyone know could this man be one of the so-called "division mens" - part of Finnish volunteers that were deemed by their earlier battle experience fit to be integrated to Wiking without training (unlike the untrained men that were trained as an batallion unit and arrived to Mius-river at the end of january 1942) - it was still winter allright - but did the "batallion boys" receive Ostmedaille ?? The Winter War medal he is carrying would suggest that he might have indeed fought from June-41 in east front.

Mark V

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 09 Jul 2004, 20:32

Topspeed wrote:
Why don't they have an internet in Russia.
Heh, heh :| :oops:

Friendly advice: Take it easy and slow down a bit Topspeed.

Regards, Mark V

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 09 Jul 2004, 20:52

Ok Mark V,

That was a little bit arrogant. I can only say they had no idea what SS meant when they left Finland. Certainly tought it was just like the original Hochen-Lockstedt sorta jaeger stuff like during WWI.

I recall they have not much " hanged around " with those SS-medals after the WW II.

JT

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 09 Jul 2004, 21:00

Topspeed wrote:
I recall they have not much " hanged around " with those SS-medals after the WW II.

JT
For several decades after war there surely weren't many opportunies to show that medal.

Thankfully times have changed.

They say that sons don't appreciate what the fathers have done - but grandsons do.

Mark V
Last edited by Mark V on 09 Jul 2004, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 09 Jul 2004, 21:04

I think that also "battalion boys" should be with Ostmedaille also.The award for for service between 15.11.41-14.4.42.Finnish battalion went to action in January 42,so they should be "worthy" for it.I did have a look to photos and atleast few men of the "battalion boys" did wear the Ostmedaille.

Cheers/Juha

Ps. Thanks Jasteri for the pics and Bair for "East experties".Good work with that HS article :D

Cheers/Juha

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 09 Jul 2004, 21:11

Juha Hujanen wrote:I think that also "battalion boys" should be with Ostmedaille also.
I though that also.

Still, it would be fashinating to have on of the "division mens" in that picture. Still posssible, because he has those Winter War -era medals.

Regards, Mark V

jasteri

Post by jasteri » 09 Jul 2004, 21:28

Mark V wrote:
Topspeed wrote:

JT
For several decades after war there surely weren't many opportunies to show that medal.

Thankfully times have changed.

They say that sons don't appreciate what the fathers have done - but grandsons do.

Mark V
---Off topic but anyway----
Medals that finns received from Germany during the WWII were never de-nazified as in germany even if a veteran wore them. But as we all know during the past decades especially in the 60's and 70's our veterans didn't unfortunately get the respect they deserve.

/juuso

Canon in D

Post by Canon in D » 09 Jul 2004, 23:20

Wow! Fascinating indeed, thanks for the pictures!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”