WoW, just a lingvo-Q

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Aleksei22
Banned

WoW, just a lingvo-Q

Post by Aleksei22 » 17 Aug 2004, 20:06

Hello, all

WoW, just a lingvo-Question.

Sotamarsalkka == Marshall ( rank mil. ) ????????????

ps. "==" - means IDENTICAL .

Thank you.

-----------------
Attachments
Sotamarsalkka.jpg
Sotamarsalkka
Sotamarsalkka.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 1543 times

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 17 Aug 2004, 20:08

Field Marshal.

Aleksei22
Banned

Post by Aleksei22 » 17 Aug 2004, 20:12

Hanski wrote:Field Marshal.
Hello, Hanski

My next Q -

Field Marshal == Marshall of Finland ?????

Thank you.

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 17 Aug 2004, 22:32

Suomen Marsalkka = Marshal of Finland
Sotamarsalkka = Field Marshal

If I remember correctly, the former was more like a formal honourary title than an official military rank, and higher, while the latter was an official rank. In practice, neither of these has ever been granted to any other person than Mannerheim.

Think of the Russian ranks
Marshal Sovietskii Soyuz
Feldmarshal

Harri

Post by Harri » 17 Aug 2004, 22:34

C. G. E. Mannerheim's official military rank was Cavalry General because there is no such ranks as Field Marshal or Marshal of Finland in Finnish Army. These both were actually "honorary titles" granted by Finnish Parliament. Title Marshal of Finland was given on 4.6.1942 at Mannerheim's 75th birthday.

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 19 Aug 2004, 11:57

Harri wrote:C. G. E. Mannerheim's official military rank was Cavalry General because there is no such ranks as Field Marshal or Marshal of Finland in Finnish Army. These both were actually "honorary titles" granted by Finnish Parliament. Title Marshal of Finland was given on 4.6.1942 at Mannerheim's 75th birthday.
Actually, the rank of sotamarsalkka (Field Marshal) was an official rank in the Finnish military. The rank of Suomen Marsalkka, on the other hand, was an honorary title.

In Finnish http://www.mannerheim.fi/10_ylip/s_arvoni.htm
In English http://www.mannerheim.fi/10_ylip/e_arvoni.htm
In Swedish http://www.mannerheim.fi/navi-r/10_keh.htm
In German http://www.mannerheim.fi/navi-d/10_keh.htm

Harri

Post by Harri » 19 Aug 2004, 23:42

No, I don't agree, both are unofficial honorary titles. Finnish Defence Forces has never had such military ranks. The text on Mannerheim page don't support your claim:
On 19 May, 1933, Mannerheim was awarded the title of Field Marshal in connection with the 15th anniversary of the end of the War of Independence.
arvo[nimi] = title
sotilasarvo = [military] rank

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 20 Aug 2004, 16:01

Harri wrote:No, I don't agree, both are unofficial honorary titles. Finnish Defence Forces has never had such military ranks.
Sorry, you're wrong. Not a definitive source, but you're welcome to check the matter: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotilasarvo
The text on Mannerheim page don't support your claim
Actually, it does: "The idea of entitling him Marshal of Finland came up, as there were no ranks above the rank of Field Marshal in the Finnish army."

Harri

Post by Harri » 20 Aug 2004, 20:04

No, you are wrong. There were/are no military rank of Field Marshal in Finland. General is our highest military rank.

There is a mistake in the text if it says something else. Read this again:

On 19 May, 1933, Mannerheim was awarded the title of Field Marshal in connection with the 15th anniversary of the end of the War of Independence.

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 20 Aug 2004, 21:16

The Finnish encyclopedia Facta 2001 lists Sotamarsalkka as one of the military ranks used in Finland. The encyclopedia further notes that in the statute given in 1964 this rank is not listed.

Also, the Finnish-language pages of http://www.mannerheim.fi/10_ylip/s_arvoni.htm clearly distinguishes between arvo and arvonimi. I think the Finnish-language version should be here seen as primary.

This is in accordance with several other sources that have dealt with this matter. But of course, this military rank was created for Mannerheim and no other officer has ever been promoted to that rank.

Suomen marsalkka, on the other hand, is clearly a honorary title.

regards,
Tapani K.

Harri

Post by Harri » 20 Aug 2004, 21:46

I have seen also older (than 1964) lists of Finnish military ranks and there have never been rank of Field Marshal. I agree the difference between title and rank is not significant in this case because only one person had (or even could have) that one. If Field Marshal really was an official military rank in Finland it was created only for one specific person and it is thus equal to honorary title (or in practice a "pay class" like they used to be in state's jobs :wink: although Mannerheim was officially retired officer in the 1930's). The way Mannerheim was titled was also similar to other titles (based on a proposal by someones).

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 20 Aug 2004, 21:57

My Pikku jättiläinen, 1941, also lists Sotamarsalkka as a military rank.

I think it is fairly clear that when this rank was created it was
a) seen as a military rank basically like any other
b) created especially for Mannerheim.

regards,
Tapani K.

Harri

Post by Harri » 20 Aug 2004, 22:37

Tapani K. wrote:I think it is fairly clear that when this rank was created it was
a) seen as a military rank basically like any other
b) created especially for Mannerheim.
OK. I was wrong. :oops:

I should have checked earlier from the P. Huhtala's "Reserviupseeri" (1940) I have. On page 558 it says:
- Officers.
Officers' military ranks in land and air forces and in coastal artillery are:
- Generals:
---- Field Marshal,
---- General (Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry etc.),
---- Lieutenant General,
---- Major General.
It seems that Field Marshal was one of the Generals. Interestingly there is no equal rank in the Navy, probably because navy was earlier led by coastal artillery officer (Lt.Gen. V. Valve).

It is also interesting that there could have been also other Generals than Infantry (Heinrichs), Artillery (Nenonen) and Cavalry General (well none if Mannerheim is not counted). In practice there have been none other later (all were Infantry Generals, even A. Ehrnrooth), I think?

Thank you for correcting me!! :D

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 22 Aug 2004, 19:35

Harri wrote: It seems that Field Marshal was one of the Generals. Interestingly there is no equal rank in the Navy, probably because navy was earlier led by coastal artillery officer (Lt.Gen. V. Valve).
The Finnish Army isn't and wasn't very large, so the need for that many general/flag officers wasn't that great. The practical side of the matters could be affected by a top heavy organization. In other words, there was no need for a Grand Admiral or Admiral of the Fleet, or something similar, since the whole army (army, navy and air force) was small and led in reality by the single Field Marshal.
It is also interesting that there could have been also other Generals than Infantry (Heinrichs), Artillery (Nenonen) and Cavalry General (well none if Mannerheim is not counted). In practice there have been none other later (all were Infantry Generals, even A. Ehrnrooth), I think?
I'm not entirely sure. A friend of my family, major general Pehr-Johan Gummerus, died in the late 60s and he was a signals general. He wore his single lion on the purple background of the signals troops, not the current red of a general officer.

I've been meaning to buy this book for a long time, but if you have access to it, you could check the matter.

"Palokangas, Marko:
Itsenäisen Suomen sotilasarvot ja -arvomerkit - Suomen maavoimien sotilasarvomerkkijärjestelmä ja arvoasteiden merkitsemistavat vuosina 1917 - 2000" Apali Oy (Military Ranks and Rank Badges of Independent Finland)

Thank you for correcting me!! :D
No, problem. :)

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 22 Aug 2004, 21:26

Earldor wrote:I'm not entirely sure. A friend of my family, major general Pehr-Johan Gummerus, died in the late 60s and he was a signals general. He wore his single lion on the purple background of the signals troops, not the current red of a general officer.
If there was a single lion in the late 1960's that means his rank was Kenraalimajuri, Major General, without reference to the service in his official title.

The use of the prefix referring to the particular service, such as Jalkaväenkenraali (Infantry General), Tykistönkenraali (Artillery General), or Ratsuväenkenraali (Cavalry General) required the rank of a full General, with three lions.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”