The comemmoration ceremony of Tali-Ihantala battles

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Bair

Post by Bair » 05 Jul 2004, 21:21

Hi there,

well, of course everyone (or almost everyone) knows about this in Russia. The only thing is what you would like to stress....

I think it sounded like that in the Russian media: President V. Putin placed flowers at grave of Mannerheim, the first President of Finland and Marshal of Finland. Marshal Mannerheim started his military career in the Russian Imperial Army where he grew from a cadet to a General. Marshal Mannerheim was also Commander-in-Chief of Finnish Armed forces during WWII and later President of Finland again.

Again, as I say, you can write the truth, but in a very generalized and vague manner so that it looks good for almost any audience. :D

Also, Mannerheim was such a multi-faceted and multi-cultural person that there are always aspects of his biography that can be highlighted while others can be omitted 8O

with best regards,

Bair

Harri

Post by Harri » 06 Jul 2004, 17:37

Bair wrote:I think it sounded like that in the Russian media: President V. Putin placed flowers at grave of Mannerheim, the first President of Finland and Marshal of Finland. Marshal Mannerheim started his military career in the Russian Imperial Army where he grew from a cadet to a General. Marshal Mannerheim was also Commander-in-Chief of Finnish Armed forces during WWII and later President of Finland again.
Actually (then) Cavalry General G. Mannerheim was the first Regent of Finland [Valtionhoitaja, literally "Administrator of the State"]. Between 1918 and 1919 (I don't remember the exact dates) we had two temporary Regents, Mannerheim and P. E. Svinhufvud, before the first State President [Tasavallanpresidentti] K. J. Ståhlberg was selected in 1919.

To be quite accurate all former presidents are called just Presidents [Presidentti] and only the president "in power" has the title "State President".

Bair

Post by Bair » 08 Jul 2004, 23:33

I think I found where Kallelovo is:

this is the Russian version of name Kaljala, right next to the old border between Termola and Old Valkeasaari.

This must have been a stage of fighting right after beginning of great Soviet offensive in June 1944.

with best regards,

Bair

Mek

Post by Mek » 09 Jul 2004, 00:13

Bair wrote:I think I found where Kallelovo is:

this is the Russian version of name Kaljala, right next to the old border between Termola and Old Valkeasaari.

This must have been a stage of fighting right after beginning of great Soviet offensive in June 1944.
Great :) Thank you :) I had a hunch it might be somewhere near
Valkeasaari. There must've been a some fighting (probably smaller scale fighting) in 1941 too, in Kallelovo. The number of casulties, and the
papers I have says, that the person I was doing research on was there in
1941, but not in 1944. Glad to know where Kallelovo is anyways.

Regards,
-Pete

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”