Unknown volunteer Danish pilot found?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Harri

Unknown volunteer Danish pilot found?

Post by Harri » 20 Aug 2004, 21:22

According to Col. Procopes files (SA T6571/3) in Finnish Military Archive there would have been yet one nore unknown Danish pilot at Winter War, Lt. Hans Fenger. According to this source he would have been in Flying Regiment 2 (LentoR 2) and fallen on 17.2.1940.

Has anyone heard of this unknown Danish volunteer and was he really pilot?

sisudk

Re: Unknown volunteer Danish pilot found?

Post by sisudk » 20 Jun 2017, 08:37

Hello Harri

Hans Fenger was a Danish lieutenant (premierløjtnant) who served with Nylands Dragon Regiment who fell i combat on the Karelian Isthmus.

Best regards

Johnny

Claes Johansen

Re: Unknown volunteer Danish pilot found?

Post by Claes Johansen » 02 Jul 2017, 13:40

The complete story of Hans Fenger can be found in the book shown below. The book comprises a number of biographical essays on Danes who volunteered for foreign war service during the period mentioned in the title (those on the cover of the book are Danes in the Waffen-SS). There are also some stories about the Danish pilots in the Winter War, though not as many and as in-depth, of course, as there are bound to be in Thomas Petersen's forthcoming book. Still, if you are one of those who collect books on Finland in WWII, I think this one would be worth to include, particularly if you can read Scandinavian languages. (Most Finns I know who are reasonably good at Swedish find it possible to read Danish, too, at least after a while when they have learned to ropes. If you can read Norwegian, it is even less of a problem to read Danish.)

https://www.liveboox.com/9788702074062/danskere-i-krig
Attachments
danskere-i-krig.jpg
Ystävällesin terveisin, the Tanskalainen

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”