Finnish Tank Units in June 1941

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Jari

Finnish Tank Units in June 1941

Post by Jari » 22 Aug 2004, 14:57

What I have figured out is that in addition to the Panssaripataljoona (Tank Battalion) of Lagus there were also Armoured Car Platoons or Amphibious Tank Platoons for each Army Corps. I have also found references to T-26's captured at front being put to service by the Infantry Divisions on their own initiative, but I don't know much about how this was handled or how common it was.

What might I be missing?

Harri

Re: Finnish Tank Units in June 1941

Post by Harri » 25 Aug 2004, 19:34

Jari wrote:What I have figured out is that in addition to the Panssaripataljoona (Tank Battalion) of Lagus there were also Armoured Car Platoons or Amphibious Tank Platoons for each Army Corps.
You are quite correct. There were both independent armoured car platoons [Panssariautojoukkue] and so called "water tank platoons" [Vesivaunujoukkue] equipped with six captured amphibious T-37 or T-38 light tanks.

The importance of the latter ones was minimal and platoons didn't see much action because they were basically unsuitable and obsolete for any combat duties. I think there were only three such platoons. As far as I know these tanks were mainly used in towing and transport duties (instead of horses).

Armoured car platoons were more important because they could fought even with tanks and protect supply routes. As far as I know there were three platoons which had only three BAF (BA-3, 6 or 10) armoured cars each. Lighter armoured cars (BAB) were usually attached to Armoured Battalion and Jäger Battalions.

Now I'm looking for the number (name) of each unit and their leaders' names. Is there any info available on them?
Jari wrote:I have also found references to T-26's captured at front being put to service by the Infantry Divisions on their own initiative, but I don't know much about how this was handled or how common it was.
Maybe there have been more such cases but at least the 1st Division formed unofficial armoured detachment [Panssariosasto / 1.D] led by one 2Lt. (later Lt.) L. Törni - of whom you perhaps know? Detachment was known on its long arm-ended swastika emblems which were not painted in typical black but in blue.

The details of this unit are partly unclear to me too, for example when exactly it was formed and who commanded it before Törni (if anyone). He was in Germany as a volunteer in SS-Wiking but returned back to Finland already during summer 1941. I don't either know when the unit was suspended. The number of their tanks varied but at one stage it consisted of one T-28, one or two T-26s and at least one BAF armoured car. There are several photos on the unit in the History of Continuation War (but don't ask in which part). Maybe someone knows more about this unit too? Juhas?

There was also another semi-independent Christie Detachment [Christie-Osasto] formed on 2.9.1941. It was a platoon-sized unit with six BT-7 tanks. It was led by Lt. O. Keskinen. Detachment operated mainly with Jäger Battalions and Armoured Battalion. I'm looking for the information when this unit was suspended?

Jari

Post by Jari » 25 Aug 2004, 22:33

Thanks! My knowledge of these platoons is very limited. 1st Division was the one that I knew had something like that going on (they also had the letter P painted on them after the Divisional Commander Paalu), but I had no further details. Interesting that Törni was involved... I think I'll check Tuokko's 1st Division history.

Jari

Post by Jari » 26 Aug 2004, 13:35

Alright, I found this:

"On the 19th of August an armoured detachment (panssariosasto) was formed into the Division, and then attached to the Light Detachment (Kevyt Os.) 8 and subordinated to its commander. The detachment included a tank platoon, commander 2nd Lieutenant (vänr.) Lauri Törni, and armoured car platoon, commander 2nd Lieut. Paukkala. Initially Törni had three light tanks (T-26's) and Paukkala had three armoured cars. Later on the detachment also got some heavier captured tanks to its use. The detachment participated in the Division's fighting all the way to Karhumäki (Medzhvedogorsk, IIRC)." (1. Divisioona 1941-1944, page 134)

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 26 Aug 2004, 15:26

Harri,the Christie Detachment was suspended 16 September 41.The tanks were worn-out and they were send to Varkaus and personel added to Armoured Battalion.

Cheers/Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 26 Aug 2004, 18:34

Thank you both. I didn't remember there was that accurate information on armoured detachment in the history of 1st Division. What was your source Juha?

Any more info on separate amphibious tank platoons or armoured car platoons? "Rare" sources?

JTV

Post by JTV » 27 Aug 2004, 09:06

Harri wrote: Any more info on separate amphibious tank platoons or armoured car platoons? "Rare" sources?
I am not sure how "rare" the sources were, but here is what I could find from my old notes (I am not sure about the source, most probably E. Käkelä's "Laguksen miehet - Marskin nyrkki", but could be also from "Tankkirykmentistä Panssaripataljoonaan 1919 – 1949" by P. Huovinen or "Suomalaiset Panssarivaunujoukot 1919 – 1969" by P. Kantakoski).

FINNISH ARMOURED UNITS OF DIVISIONS AND ARMY CORPS IN 1941:

2. Panssari Auto Joukkue (2nd Armoured Car Platoon):
- Vehicles: 3 x BA-20M armoured car
- Subordinate of 2nd Army Corps (II AK), subordinate of 2nd Division starting 3rd of July 1941

5. Panssari Auto Joukkue (5th Armoured Car Platoon):
- Vehicles: 3 x BA-10 armoured car
- Subordinate of Ryhmä O (Group O) in Uimaharju
- In October 1941 armoured cars replaced with T-37/T-38 amphibious tanks

7. Panssari Auto Joukkue (7th Armoured Car Platoon
- Vehicles: 3 x BA-10 armoured car
- Subordinate of 7th Army Corps (VII AK) supporting Light Detachment 15 (Kevyt Osasto 15)

Kevyt Hyokkaysvaunu Joukkue (Light Tank Platoon)
- Vehicles: 3 x T-37/T-38 amhibious tanks
- Subordinate of 12th Brigade (12. Prikaati), support of Infantry Regiment 12 (JR 12). Later subordinate of 6th Division (6. DIV) supporting its Infantry Regiment 33 (JR 33).

4. Panssari Auto Joukkue (4th Armoured Car Platoon):
- Vehicles: 3 x armoured car
- Subordinate of 4th Division (4. DIV) belonging to 4th Army Corps (IV AK)
- 15th of July 1941 one of the armoured cars transferred to Vesivaunujoukkue.

Vesivaunujoukkue (Amphibious Tank Platoon):
- Vehicles: 3 x T-37/T-38 amphibious tank
- Subordinate of 4th Division (4. DIV) belonging to 4th Army Corps (IV AK)
- 15th of July one armoured car added to platoon and the platoon renamed as Erillinen Panssariauto Joukkue (Seperate Armoured Car Platoon)

1. Panssari Auto Joukkue (1st Armoured Car Platoon):
- Vehicles: 3 x armoured car
- Subordinate of 10th Division (10. DIV), later suborinate of 6th Army Corps (VI AK)

Those of these units that actually took part to battles were: 1st, 2nd and 7th Armoured Car Platoons and Separate Armoured Car Platoon.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 27 Aug 2004, 15:33

My source was Käkelä:Laguksen Miehet-Marskin Nyrkki.

Cheers/Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 27 Aug 2004, 19:25

Of course just the book I don't have and don't find from library (although I have red it years ago). I have to obtain it. Thank you all.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”