Help in tracking my grandfathers warpath

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Steady

Help in tracking my grandfathers warpath

Post by Steady » 23 Aug 2004 11:39

Greetings military experts!

I have been studying lately the Winter War warpath of my grandfather, who used to live in Kivennapa. He belonged to 3. Rajakomppania (border company).

He fought in Joutselkä (started the war by defending his own farm!), Muolaa, Salmenkaita and Kuparsaari. During Continuation war, he belonged to the 10. Viestipataljoona (signals battalion).

I was not able to find any decent information about 3. RajaK from the Internet, but that is not surprising given it was a small unit and always fought as part of bigger formation, so not expecting much on that.

Do you people have good informative internet links on the aforementioned battles? Also pictures of Kivennapa are appreciated, found some but there must be more.

Also I am interested in information on 10. Viestipataljoona, that unit was used for many things, so it should be mentioned here and there.

Eisenfaust

Post by Eisenfaust » 23 Aug 2004 15:46

Have you asked the Sota-arkisto (Military Archives) for a permission to see his records? That might be helpful in some way.

Mrks

Post by Mrks » 23 Aug 2004 15:59

Eisenfaust wrote:Have you asked the Sota-arkisto (Military Archives) for a permission to see his records? That might be helpful in some way.
And do not do the same mistake I did and order them directly to your home. It will be a long wait, close to half year for me, there are huge queues. You can ask them to seek them out for you and you can go and take copies for yourself if you live near Helsinki.

http://www.sota-arkisto.fi/inet/henkiloasiakirjat.htm

Steady

Post by Steady » 24 Aug 2004 18:57

Thak You for your contribution guys!

I will have to buy some books on this matter. Especially the unit histories will be difficult to come by... but they will be worth it.

Mek

Post by Mek » 26 Aug 2004 20:02

Dear all,

I am having samekind of problem in my research, hard to find unit histories, or informations especially about small units. I think visiting War Archives and reading the units War Diaries would be great information source, but have to visit Helsinki for that.

There is also a thread http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=24317 where there are lists of books about different Units, I found that to be helpful.

Just in case have to ask if somebody might know a book, or other good information source, I am looking for information on Kev.Os.16 (light detachment 16) in Continuation War especially June - September 1941.

Regards,
-Pete

Harri

Post by Harri » 26 Aug 2004 20:14

This may be useful for someone. It is link to .pdf (Adobe Reader) file which contains the list of (most) Finnish units and their (secret) unit numbers used during the Continuation War. Take a look:

http://www.sota-arkisto.fi/pdf/kopsa.pdf

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”