Pictures of Winter-Continuation War.

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
User avatar
Christian W.
Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 10 Aug 2004 18:26
Location: Vantaa, Finland

Pictures of Winter-Continuation War.

Post by Christian W. » 04 Sep 2004 12:34

If you have any pictures related to Winter-Continuation War, please post them here. Any pictures of Lapland War ( though i doubt there are many ) would also be welcome here.

Here are some for the start. :wink:

1. Finnish troops inspecting captured Soviet tank.

2. Finnish troops being moved to the front via train in 1941.

3. A picture of Finnish Stug III Ausf G crew ( in fact, top crew ) in front of their Stug. On the left is commander Börje Brotell, next to him is loader Armas Launikko next to Armas is gunner Olli Soimala and finally there is driver Sulo Kauppi. ( see the wooden logs )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Marcus
Member
Posts: 33963
Joined: 08 Mar 2002 22:35
Location: Europe

Post by Marcus » 04 Sep 2004 13:29

Please provide proper credit for the photos you post, thanks.

/Marcus

Andreas Lärka
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Mar 2002 06:43
Location: Pornainen, Finland

Post by Andreas Lärka » 04 Sep 2004 17:51

Marcus Wendel wrote:Please provide proper credit for the photos you post, thanks.
At least the third picture is an "SA-kuva", an official Finnish Army photograph.
You still have to ask the Finnish Army permission to publish them, and the publising fee is 46 € / picture...

Andreas "been there - done that" Lärka

User avatar
Christian W.
Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 10 Aug 2004 18:26
Location: Vantaa, Finland

Post by Christian W. » 04 Sep 2004 20:06

Ouh, my apologize. Here are the sources.

The Stug crew is from http://www.achtungpanzer.com/stug.htm

The picture where the troops are inspecting Soviet tank is from http://www.heninen.net/raatteentie/kuvia/vanha_e.htm

As for the train picture, im sorry but i lost the link. :?

User avatar
Jari
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: 18 Aug 2004 11:32
Location: Finland

Post by Jari » 04 Sep 2004 20:27

In case someone doesn't know, here's lots of photos:
http://sodatkuvina.cjb.net/

Andreas,
46 €??? 8O What does FDF do with that money? Buy used Leo's from Bundeswehr?

Christian,
I think I've seen that train picture elsewhere in some unit history (JR 48 or 51?) and it is from the mobilization in June 1941. Troops being trained to east border. But, I could be wrong so don't bet your soul on that... :)

User avatar
Christian W.
Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 10 Aug 2004 18:26
Location: Vantaa, Finland

Post by Christian W. » 04 Sep 2004 21:08

Picture from http://sodatkuvina.cjb.net/images/Jatko ... raita.html

Those German officers, it is kind of hard to see but any idea of their military rank or who they are? Me? I have no idea. :? As it is said on the site the picture was taken in 1943 in Lapland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tero
Member
Posts: 559
Joined: 24 Jul 2002 07:06
Location: Finland

Post by Tero » 04 Sep 2004 22:40

Andreas Lärka wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:Please provide proper credit for the photos you post, thanks.
At least the third picture is an "SA-kuva", an official Finnish Army photograph.
You still have to ask the Finnish Army permission to publish them, and the publising fee is 46 € / picture...

Andreas "been there - done that" Lärka
From the IPMS hubbub (:)) where I lifted this link:

http://www.kuvastory.fi/oikeus.htm#28

It says if the photo is published before 1966 (and/or is more than 50 years old) the photo is not copywrite protected under the law. By definition that would render war time SA pictures free for publishing without express permission.

Of course crediting the source is an entirely different matter.

User avatar
Kormy
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: 02 Sep 2004 17:10
Location: Finland,Espoo

Post by Kormy » 05 Sep 2004 03:53

Tero wrote:
Andreas Lärka wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:Please provide proper credit for the photos you post, thanks.
At least the third picture is an "SA-kuva", an official Finnish Army photograph.
You still have to ask the Finnish Army permission to publish them, and the publising fee is 46 € / picture...

Andreas "been there - done that" Lärka
From the IPMS hubbub (:)) where I lifted this link:

http://www.kuvastory.fi/oikeus.htm#28

It says if the photo is published before 1966 (and/or is more than 50 years old) the photo is not copywrite protected under the law. By definition that would render war time SA pictures free for publishing without express permission.

Of course crediting the source is an entirely different matter.
Well, i got book "viisi sodan vuotta, edition 1952" which has over 500 pages of pictures, but iss it legal to scann them and post some over here? There are some pictures about lapland war too..

Tero
Member
Posts: 559
Joined: 24 Jul 2002 07:06
Location: Finland

Post by Tero » 05 Sep 2004 05:49

Kormy wrote:
Tero wrote:
Andreas Lärka wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:Please provide proper credit for the photos you post, thanks.
At least the third picture is an "SA-kuva", an official Finnish Army photograph.
You still have to ask the Finnish Army permission to publish them, and the publising fee is 46 € / picture...

Andreas "been there - done that" Lärka
From the IPMS hubbub (:)) where I lifted this link:

http://www.kuvastory.fi/oikeus.htm#28

It says if the photo is published before 1966 (and/or is more than 50 years old) the photo is not copywrite protected under the law. By definition that would render war time SA pictures free for publishing without express permission.

Of course crediting the source is an entirely different matter.
Well, i got book "viisi sodan vuotta, edition 1952" which has over 500 pages of pictures, but iss it legal to scann them and post some over here? There are some pictures about lapland war too..
That is a tricky one. :)

The pictures as such may not (or may be as the case may be) be copywrite protected but I do not know what happens when they are printed into a book which may be copywrite protected.

Andreas Lärka
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Mar 2002 06:43
Location: Pornainen, Finland

Post by Andreas Lärka » 05 Sep 2004 12:33

Jari wrote:46 €??? 8O What does FDF do with that money? Buy used Leo's from Bundeswehr?
Amoung other things, yes... :P
The price is a bit juicy, but it seems like we don't have any other choice if we want to publish the pics legally.

Andreas Lärka
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Mar 2002 06:43
Location: Pornainen, Finland

Post by Andreas Lärka » 05 Sep 2004 12:57

Tero wrote:By definition that would render war time SA pictures free for publishing without express permission.
Indeed. But as I published an article in the latest IPMS "Mallari" -magazine using 3 SA-pictures I (or IPMS actually) really had to pay 46 € / picture.
I actually got a letter from PvKK reminding me about this after the article had been published. I had bought the publising right so much earlier that they had forgot(!) that I had payed for them...

Anyway. PvKK Kuva-ala handles the SA-kuva -rights, and they say that they have the copyright for all the Finnish official wartime pictures. We can buy prints for personal use for about 2,50 € / picture, but if we want to publish the pics we'll have to pay 46 € / picture.

Let's say that one should publish SA-pics once without paying and that one in court should win over PvKK regarding the publishing fee.
What about next time one needs pictures? PvKK is located on the Santahamina garrison in Helsinki. For some reason I believe that getting permission to enter the garrision area could be somewhat hard after that...

User avatar
Bair
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 01 Nov 2002 14:32
Location: Finland, Helsinki

Post by Bair » 05 Sep 2004 21:26

Hi there,

I think I posted links to those galleries already, but just a reminder (plus my webpage is a bit hard to navigate :oops: )

http://www.mannerheim-line.com/jr29.htm

http://www.mannerheim-line.com/kahonen/enterkahonen.htm

http://www.mannerheim-line.com/hospital ... l_main.htm

with best regards,

Bair

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”