'American' Finns in Soviet Army

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Bair

Post by Bair » 21 Sep 2004 19:25

2 Rauli:

Once again=) I´m getting curious. Are you talking about "korpikommunisti"? This battle that went through from 1945-1948?

I am talking about the civilians who ended up on the territory captured by the Red Army in 1939 in Suomussalmi area. They were moved to a labour camp in Kinetzma (Kintismäki) in some 100-150 kilometers eastwards into Eastern Karelia. Some people went there voluntarily, believing Soviet propaganda that life in USSR was better than in Finland (as I mentioned, economic situation on the Finnish side of the border in Suomussalmi was quite bad in 1920s and 1930s). Quite many Finns died in that camp of starvation, but the Russians did not have much food for themselves, so it was not a planned extermination of civilians but bad planning of the whole affair by the Russians. according to different estimates 14-20 people died in the camp of hunger and several more died onthe way back to Finland.

After the end of Winter War, an agreement was reached by the Finnish and Soviet goverments about return of civilians to their homes. Out of those who went to Kintezma only 5 decided to stay in USSR, the rest went back to Finland. There 26 Finns were sentenced to different prison terms for state treason and cooperation with the Soviet authorities.

Source: Hostages of Winter War by Sergei Verigin, Einar Laidinen and Jussi Kämäräinen, Petrozavodsk - Joensuu - Suomussalmi 2004

2 Tero:

The fact is most, virtually all, mature male Finns who emigrated from Finland or USA to USSR during the 1930's was eliminated.

The same is true about almost everyone who came to live into Soviet Union from abroad in 1920-1930s. :( One exception that I can think of is a Swedish communist who went to Russia in 1920s, then served in Red Army in WWII as a propaganda officer and then lived peacefully till the end of his life in Leningrad/St Petersburg, teaching Scandic languages in Leningrad University.

This is true. But how many of them was able to return to Finland ?

all of them as per agreement between Finnish and Soviet governments. See the brief note above.

with best regards,

Bair

mk1126

Re: 'American' Finns in Soviet Army

Post by mk1126 » 13 Oct 2017 15:33

Does anyone know of a list of Finn-Americans who emigrated to Karelia? Who passed away over there? Who came back?

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 14 Oct 2017 11:06

mk1126

Post by mk1126 » 24 Sep 2018 22:46

Topspeed -

Truly not all the Finns, nor Canadian-Finns, nor the American -Finns were executed in Uncle Joe's manic purges. I had a great aunt that could not get back out but lived out her life in Petrazovadsk as did a good number of others. There was a brief documentary about these remaining Finns who went to Karelia in hopes of building that 'utopia". over there and had been basically left in place. They are all gone now with perhaps some next generations left.
Mayme Sevander was also an exception as others.
Kiitos Mikael

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”