Akseli M. Antila

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Steen Ammentorp

Akseli M. Antila

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 28 Oct 2004, 18:30

Could anybody provide information on Akseli M. Antila, Minister of Defence Finnish Democratic Republic Dec. 1939 - Ma. 1940.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

Jari

Post by Jari » 01 Nov 2004, 16:01

I tried to see if I could find any biographical information on the members of Kuusinen's government from the Uni library, but couldn't find anything, sorry. Nothing ever came out of the government and it only functioned as an instrument of propaganda, so its ministers haven't interested researchers so much as individuals.

But I didn't look very hard...

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 01 Nov 2004, 16:24

He was also commander of the only Army Corps of so-called People's Army of Finland during the Winter War, holding the rank of komandir brigady (kombrig).

A quick google found a statement that he died in Moscow in 1948.

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 01 Nov 2004, 17:43

Here's what I've found in diverse sources, mainly from Markku Salomaa's Punaupseerit.

First of all, Salomaa gives his name as Akseli Edvard Anttila, the 'M' probably derives from Russian sources -- Akseli's father's name was Mooses, which would give him the Russian patronym Moisejevich or something like that.

Salomaa gives his date of birth as 1897 and death 1953. During the Finnish Civil War of 1918 Akseli Anttila fought on the Red side, being a member of the District Staff of Kymenlaakso in south-eastern Finland. He emigrated to Soviet Russia in 1918. Afterwards Anttila graduated from the Frunze military academy and embarked a career as professional officer.

On 11 November 1939 kombrig Akseli Anttila was promoted to komdiv and ordered to mobilize the 106th Rifle Division in Soviet Karelia. Soon this division was enlarged to the 1st Finnish Army Corps of the 'People's Army of Finland'. On 30 November the Winter War started and on the next day Anttila became Minister of Defense in the 'People's Government of Finland'.

I have very little on Anttila's further service. His rank became that of General-major in 1940 but he got no further promotions. There's a mention that he took part in the battle of Berlin in 1945, and at some point of his career Anttila was awarded the Order of Lenin. There's probably more about his pre-war career in Salomaa's book, but as it lacks an index ( :x ), it's hard to find anything.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 01 Nov 2004, 22:09

Thanks Mikko,

Very Interesting. According to Michael Parrish in his "Sacrifice of the Generals : Soviet Senior Officers Losses 1939-1953" Antila also served as CO 71st RD, Assistant CinC Karelian Front & Deputy CO34th RC during the Winter War. It woud be interesting to know his WW2 record!

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 02 Nov 2004, 11:40

BTW, his surname is Anttila with two t's! :)

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 02 Nov 2004, 11:51

Mikko H. wrote:BTW, his surname is Anttila with two t's! :)
I have no doubt that in Finnish his name is with two t's ;-) However it appears that when his name is transcribed from its Russian version it is only with one t. Both Parrish in his previous mentioned book (English) has it with one t and so does Kurt Mehner & Jaroslav Stanek in their: “Armee unter dem Roten Stern” (German) So I think that I’ll stick with that although not correct in Finnish ;-)

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 02 Nov 2004, 16:19

Not much but few years ago i posted following to forum:

Few better known Finns in Red Army.

Kalle Ahonen fought with reds in Finnish civil war and fled to SU.He went to Red Army and fought as Major in Winter War.Known as Karl Ottovits Ahonen he fought as Regiment commander against Germans and did rise to rank of Liutenant Colonel.He fought in Poland and in 23.2.45 he was mentioned in Stalins order of day for "liberation" of town Poznan.He was praised for crossing of Oder and battle of Berlin.

Walter Valli fought also with reds in Finnish civil war and fled to SU in 1922.He was chief of staff in IR126 but didn't saw action in Winter War.As Colonel he was commander of that Regiment in Continuation War.Late December 41 he commanted 1st Skibrigade but was relieved from this duty,when he refused to attack without recon.Under another commander brigade attacked and was decimated.Valli was called to relive it's remains.Brigade was refitted and named as 33th indepent Skibrigade.It did operate under Valli in Maaselän Isthmus as recon role.Valli was aid of Division in Murmansk 43 and in 44 he did command 30th indepent brigade in Svir river.Later he was aid of 71.Division commander in Baltic.

In 71.Division were lots of Finns and Karelians.Like it's commander Generalmajor Akseli Anttila,commander of IR126 Ivan Mikhailovits Petrov(alias Toivo Vähä) and his brotherVille Vainio who was Battalion commander.Captain Poikolainen was also Battalion commander.Captain Paavo Kataja was battalion commander in IR52/71.Division.
Ingrian(area around St.Petersburg,immigrated by Finns in 17th century) Pietari Tiikkiläinen did became first hero of SU in 7.Army.

Cheers/Juha

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”