The official AHF Winter & Continuation War quiz thread

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
John Hilly

Re: The official AHF Winter & Continuation War quiz thread

Post by John Hilly » 18 Feb 2013, 16:39

This officer's post war career was very successful and he became highly respected.

With best,
J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 21 Feb 2013, 18:23

Another hint:
This.jpg
This.jpg (146.63 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
+
hint.jpg
hint.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
With best,

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 22 Feb 2013, 18:13

Sorry that my last hint could only be solved in Finnish. It just accure to me until late.

Another hint: His obligatory retirement age was raised from 60 to 65 years.

With best,

JTV

Post by JTV » 22 Feb 2013, 20:01

General Lauri Sutela?

Jarkko

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 22 Feb 2013, 20:44

That was Lauri Sutela alright. President Kekkonen wanted to keep Sutela longer as the CO of the FDF and not let him retire at the age of 60. Thus the obligatory retirement age of the CO of the Finnish Defence Forces was raised to 65.

Photo source:
http://www.tunturisusi.com/susihg.jpg
http://www.mantools.fi/media/k2/items/c ... 3c1_XL.jpg

Your turn Jarkko!

With best,

JTV

Post by JTV » 22 Feb 2013, 21:06

Thanks J-P. Hopefully this does not turn out to be too difficult.

Question: December 1939 - January 1940 General Headquarters of Finnish Armed Forces (Päämaja) published series of publications sharing a common name and having ten parts marked with Roman numerals I - X (1 - 10). What was the name used for these publications?

Jarkko

JTV

Post by JTV » 24 Feb 2013, 01:09

And back into giving hints...

First hint: These publications all have text SALAINEN (CLASSIFIED) in their front cover.

Jarkko

JTV

Post by JTV » 24 Feb 2013, 20:36

2nd hint: All publications of this 10 part series except parts 1 and 3 contained following text in last double page or close to it.

"Lähettäkää nopeasti tiedot taistelussa saamistanne kokemuksista tehokkaaksi havaituista taistelu-menetelmistänne, vihollisen taktiikasta ja aseistuksesta sekä omista taisteluväline y.m. keksinnöistä Päämajan koulutusosaston taktiselle toimistolle kaikkien joukkojemme tietoon saatettavaksi yhteisen päämäärän hyväksi."

translated:

"Please, deliver in swift manner information about your experiences about fighting methods that you have found effective, enemy tactics, enemy weaponry and your own inventions concerning for example ordnance materials to Tactical Office (Taktinen toimisto) of Training Department (Koulutusosasto) of GHQ of Armed Forces (Päämaja), so the knowledge can be delivered to our troops for common goal."

Jarkko

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 26 Feb 2013, 16:37

No idea, but a wild guess:
"Kenttäohjesääntö I-X"

With best,

JTV

Post by JTV » 26 Feb 2013, 21:23

John Hilly wrote:No idea, but a wild guess:
"Kenttäohjesääntö I-X"
Good try, but unfortunately not correct. :(

Hint: This particular series of ten publications was basically a Winter War era predecessor of Continuation War era Taktillisia ym. tietoja vihollisesta (Tactical and Other Information about the Enemy) leaflet series and served very much the same function. The publications of this particular series are solf-cover, little bit smaller than A5 in size and not really much beyond leaflets themselves. Most parts have just 14 - 16 pages, with some of the last parts having around 25 - 30 pages.

BTW: Kenttäohjesääntö (Field Regulations Manual) manuals that were in use during World War 2 contained only parts I, II, II2 and III. Anyway, it is nice that you mentioned these, since they are very much related to the bigger issue involving this question.

Jarkko

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 27 Feb 2013, 19:36

How about these? (Although I found issue XI too!)

Taktillinen opas I-XI
Taistelutoiminnassa ja koulutuksessa huomioonotettavaksi
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/taktilline ... /256100710
http://www.hagelstam-antikvariaatti.fi/ ... ode/100621

With best,

JTV

Post by JTV » 27 Feb 2013, 21:20

Excellent J-P - Taktinen Opas (Tactical Guide) is the correct answer. :D I recently visited library of Maanpuolustuskorkeakoulu (National Defence University) in Helsinki, they only had (multiple) parts I - X, so I assumed that there were only 10 parts in this series. I was already starting to wonder if this question was too difficult.

Anyway, as mentioned this series of small publications was published by Tactical Office (Taktinen toimisto) of Training Department (Koulutusosasto) of GHQ of Armed Forces (Päämaja) during Winter War. Just like the later Continuation War era Taktillisia ym. tietoja vihollisesta (Tactical and Other Information about the Enemy) they served a very important function in educating Finnish troops about new equipment, tactical development and any other information that the combat unit could be expected to find useful. What made this especially important was the lack of other publications serving the purpose of assisting wartime tactical development and spreading the new tactical ideas among officers of Finnish Army. During World War 2 the most important official tactical manuals of Finnish Army were Kenttäohjesääntö (Field Regulations Manual) and Jalkaväen ohjesääntö (Infantry Regulations) series of manuals, since these had been published in late 1920's - early 1930's, they were already partially outdated by 1939. Still, the only real update to them was Muutokset JO I:een ja JO II2:een (Changes to Infantry Regulations I and II2) published in 1941 and even it did not contain much of tactical development beyond going through the new infantry organisations resulting from re-organising done after Winter War and showing how to manoeuvre with these new kind of units in very basic level.

I have to note that Taktinen Opas series makes very interesting reading, since it provides a peek to development of things. Most parts contain instructions for anti-tank and anti-aircraft warfare. For example when it comes to antitank-warfare one can note that:
- Part 1 already tells about molotov cocktails and satchel charges and how to use them (although methods are yet very smart at this point since there does not seem to be much knowledge about weak points of Soviet tanks).
- Part 2 indicates that industrially manufactured molotov cocktails were already in production and gives details about antitank-hand grenade and first satchel charges.
- Later parts of the series give more detailed information about Soviet tanks. They also provide possible organisations for creating antitank-companies equipped with satchel charges, molotov cocktails and antitank-mines.
- By part 10 also industrially manufactured standardised satchel charges (2 kg, 3 kg and 4 kg) have gone to mass-production and detailed information for their effective use is available.

Other often featured subjects include observations about Soviet use of signals (flares etc), Soviet tactics and use of sissi units. Part 3 stands out from rest of the series - it is an interrogation manual containing questions that were to be asked from captured POWs. The whole series was published in two language versions - Finnish and Swedish language version, with exception of part 3 which contains both languages in same publication.

Over to you J-P.

Jarkko

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 28 Feb 2013, 19:51

Thanks Jarkko. You question was pretty hard as you suspected. It took lot of pondering and googling to find these very little known booklets.

A new one of FAF:
Messerschmitt_Bf_109G-2.jpg
Messerschmitt_Bf_109G-2.jpg (14.52 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
In spring 1943 Finland purchaced its first 30 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 fighters from Germany. Out of the first planes, 16 were factory news and 14 repaired newish planes. They were retrieved in two batches.

How many of the 14 of the second collection batch managed to make their way from Bavaria to Helsinki unharmed and how many landed in Malmi together (on the same formation)?

With best,

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 01 Mar 2013, 22:34

Harmed in this case means technical failures and accidents.

With best,

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 05 Mar 2013, 18:21

DC-2 “Hanssin Jukka” followed these Messerschmitts carrying maintenance men and also pilots who had to have their planes left behind, at least temporarily.

To help solving this obviously difficult question, here's a hint:
Only one pilot had to travel onboard DC-2 “Hanssin Jukka” to Malmi airport, Helsinki.

With best,

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”