The official AHF Winter & Continuation War quiz thread

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 14 Feb 2005, 21:20

I kinda disagree: a captain giving orders to a lieutenat colonel ?
There could have been an office for HQ to operate with unit at they disposal, but it was not leading the antiaircraft artillery around in Helsinki and in Suomenlinna.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Feb 2005, 21:28

Captain Paul Rosokallio?

Regards, Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 14 Feb 2005, 21:33

Juha got it right: Capt. Paul Rosokallio it is. Over to Juha.
Topspeed wrote:I kinda disagree: a captain giving orders to a lieutenat colonel ?
There could have been a office for HQ to operate with unit at they disposal, but it was not leading the antiaircraft artillery around in Helsinki and in Suomenlinna.
Lietenant-Colonel who? Where was this? And When? 8O

I think you are not very familiar with the Finnish anti-aircraft defense during the Winter War? Helsinki for example was defended by separate heavy and light anti-aircraft batteries and sections led by 2nd Lieutenants, Lieutenants and only one Captain (S. Helppi, 54th Movable Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery).

Command centre of Helsinki air defence was called "Ilmapuolustuksen aluekeskus 15" (IPAK 15) [Regional Centre of Air Defence 15]. It was commanded by Capt. P. Rosokallio. During the Continuation War unit name was "30. Paikallinen torjuntakeskus" (30.P.Tk.) [30th Local Repulse Centre] and was led by Major Paul Rosokallio. It belonged to Air Defence District 1 (It.Piiri 1) which was suspended on 28.2.1942.

Ilmatorjuntarykmentti 1 (It.R 1) [Anti-Aircraft Regiment 1] was formed on 10.12.1942 and its Commander was Maj. P. Rosokallio until on 12.3.1943 was replaced with Lt.Col. P. Jokipaltio.

Satisfied now, Juke? :D

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 14 Feb 2005, 21:45

No during Winter War lieutenant colonel Ekman commanded ErItPsto which was the predecessor of ItR 1.

I think IpAk 15 was more like a separate unit with own surveillance and light batteries. I could be wrong.

Harri

Post by Harri » 14 Feb 2005, 21:57

Topspeed wrote:No during Winter War lieutenant colonel Ekman commanded ErItPsto which was the predecessor of ItR 1.
I think IpAk 15 was more like a separate unit with own surveillance and light batteries. I could be wrong.
You are. During the Winter War there were no Anti-Aircraft Battalions just separate batteries every here and there. Secondly Lt.Col. Tor Ekman was the Anti-Aircraft Commander of Home Troops. So basically he was the superior officer to Capt. P. Rosokallio. IPAKs were the true anti-aircraft command centres in Finland during the Winter War. IPAK 11 was at Turku, IPAK 15 at Helsinki, IPAK 51 at Tampere and IPAK 2100 (really 2100) at Viipuri. During the Continuation War organization was different.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Feb 2005, 21:58

Topspeed wrote:Ok my second guess is Torvald Erik Ekman. Lieutenant Aake Pesonen and Heavy Battery 51. scored first bomber. First ever commander was Karl Henrik Alexander Schreck. Major Juhan Wilhelm Paasikivi was only replacement before lieutenant colonel Ekman took over Er.ItPsto as it was first named.
Toisen maailmansodan uhka johti joukko-osastotasoisen ilmatorjuntajoukon perustamiseen Helsingin suojaksi 1. tammikuuta 1938 Suomenlinnaan. Näin syntyi Erillinen Ilmatorjuntapatteristo (Er.ItPsto), jonka komentajaksi Seinäjoen sotilaspiiristä siirettiin everstiluutnantti Karl Henrik Alexander Schreck. Hänen kautensa Erillisen Ilmatorjuntapatteriston komentajana jäi lyhyeksi, sillä hänet määrättiin jo 3.tammikuuta Ilmatorjuntarykmentin komentajan sijaiseksi Viipuriin. 15. tammikuuta Erillisen Ilmatorjuntapatteriston teknillisen toimiston päälikkö majuri Juhan Wilhelm Paasikivi määrättiin patteriston komentajan viransijaiseksi. Näin alkoi jo yli 60 vuotta kestänyt Helsingin Ilmatorjuntarykmentin historia.

Vuodet 1938-1945
1938 lopulla euroopan poliittinen kehitys ja konkreettinen sodan uhka sai aikaan muutoksia muualla puolustusvoimissa, kuin myös Erillisessä Ilmatorjuntapatteristossa. Ensimmäinen päivä tammikuuta 1939 Tasavallan presidentin sotilaskäskyllä Erillisestä Ilmatorjuntapatteristosta tuli Ilmatorjuntarykmentti 1, jonka sijoitus paikaksi määrättiin Suomenlinna. Rykmentin komentajaksi siirettiin everstiluutnantti Torvald Erik Ekman Sotakorkeakoulusta. Tammikuun 5. päivänä rykmentti otti vastaan 128 alokasta. Rykmentin varustus oli alussa niukkaa. Tykki kaluston raskainta päätä edustivat helmikuussa saadut kaksi 76mm Vickers ilmatorjuntakanuunaa mallia 1934. Ennen talvisotaan, eli alle vuodessa rykmentin kalusto saatiin vähintäänkin siedettävälle tasolle. 10. 9. 1939 kotiutettavista varusmiehistä määrättiin osalle välittömästi "ylimääräisiä harjoituksia." Öisin kuljetettiin syys-lokakuussa ammus- ja kalustotäydennyksiä Katajanokalta Suomenlinnaan ja Santahaminaan. Sotaan varauduttiin.

30. marraskuuta 1939 kello 9.15 annettiin ensimäinen ilmahälytys Helsingissä. Hetkeä myöhemmin ensimäiset pommit iskeytyivät Helsinkiin. Ilmatorjunta avasi tulen Neuvostoliittolaisia pommikoneita vastaan Suomenlinnasta. Luutnantti Aake Pesosen johtama 51. Raskas patteri kirjasi ensimäisen pudotuksen. Helsingin ilmatorjunta sai tuli kasteen. Samalla se osoitti olevansa kykenevä tehtäväänsä puolustaa pääkaupunkia. Tämän se hoitikin ansiokkaasti talvisodan ajan. Talvisodan pommituksissa Helsingissä 120 sai surmansa ja 252 haavoittui.
http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/joukot/helitr/historia.dsp

Book, Helsingin Ilmatorjuntarykmentti 1938 - 1998, Defensor Capitolii:
Lokakuun 10. päivä (1939, JT) merkitsi rykmentille monia muutoksia. Rykmentin komentaja, everstiluutnantti Torvald Ekman oli komennettu Kotijoukkojen ilmatorjuntakomentajaksi ja majuri Paasikivi määrätty rykmentin komentajan sijaiseksi... Rykmentti oli myös perustanut ilmapuolustusaluekeskuksen (IPAK 15), mutta siiitä ei julkinen päiväkäsky kerro...

Regards, Juha

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 14 Feb 2005, 22:04

So I was right. The IPAK 15 was under ErItPsto which in fact commanded the whole AAA in Finland in 1939.

Harri

Post by Harri » 14 Feb 2005, 22:15

We are talking about the time between 30.11.1939 - 13.3.1940, not any peace time things. That's the way it is.
Thanks Juha.

As far as I know Maj. J. Paasikivi was somewhere in duties of Supreme HQ (Päämaja) during the Winter War (IIRC in Sweden?). Read for example from the book "Tuli-iskuja taivaalle - Ilmatorjuntajoukojen taistelusta talvi- ja jatkosodassa" [Fire Strikes into the Sky - On the Combat of Anti-aircraft Troops in Winter and Continuation War] by Aake Pesonen (Kirjayhtymä, 1982).
Last edited by Harri on 14 Feb 2005, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 14 Feb 2005, 22:15

Harri wrote:
Topspeed wrote:No during Winter War lieutenant colonel Ekman commanded ErItPsto which was the predecessor of ItR 1.
You are. During the Winter War there were no Anti-Aircraft Battalions just separate batteries every here and there. Secondly Lt.Col. Tor Ekman was the Anti-Aircraft Commander of Home Troops. So basically he was the superior officer to Capt. P. Rosokallio. IPAKs were the true anti-aircraft command centres in Finland during the Winter War. IPAK 11 was at Turku, IPAK 15 at Helsinki, IPAK 51 at Tampere and IPAK 2100 (really 2100) at Viipuri. During the Continuation War organization was different.
I think you are confused with terms; Patteristo is Psto and Ptri is a battery so few batteries may have been under IPAK 15 but even that was under ErItPtri that was situated in Suomenlinna.

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 14 Feb 2005, 22:16

Topspeed wrote:

"The IPAK 15 was under ErItPsto which in fact commanded the whole AAA in Finland in 1939."

...and if we continue this chain of command (is it called so in English) upwards we can say that Mannerheim commanded the whole Finnish defence forces 1939, and thus also the AAA in Helsinki, or...?

Just a little comment with regards from

Esa K

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Feb 2005, 22:18

Topspeed wrote:So I was right. The IPAK 15 was under ErItPsto which in fact commanded the whole AAA in Finland in 1939.
Topspeed wrote:Ensimmäinen päivä tammikuuta 1939 Tasavallan presidentin sotilaskäskyllä Erillisestä Ilmatorjuntapatteristosta tuli Ilmatorjuntarykmentti 1
The ErItPsto ceased to exist before Winter War as you earlier quoted. IPAK 15 was the HQ of the Helsingin Ilmapuolustusalue (Hgin IPA).

Regards, Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 14 Feb 2005, 22:21

Despite of Juke's attempt: Juha's turn.

Ps. I'm well aware of the difference between Battalion and Battery, so don't even try. :P

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 14 Feb 2005, 22:23

Why is it Juhas turn when I answered correctly already on previous page ?

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Feb 2005, 22:24

Harri wrote:Despite of Juke's attempt: Juha's turn.
I nearly forgot that this was a quiz section :oops: Just a moment

Regards, Juha

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 14 Feb 2005, 22:32

Toisen maailmansodan uhka johti joukko-osastotasoisen ilmatorjuntajoukon perustamiseen Helsingin suojaksi 1. tammikuuta 1938 Suomenlinnaan. Näin syntyi Erillinen Ilmatorjuntapatteristo (Er.ItPsto), jonka komentajaksi Seinäjoen sotilaspiiristä siirettiin everstiluutnantti Karl Henrik Alexander Schreck. Hänen kautensa Erillisen Ilmatorjuntapatteriston komentajana jäi lyhyeksi, sillä hänet määrättiin jo 3.tammikuuta Ilmatorjuntarykmentin komentajan sijaiseksi Viipuriin. 15. tammikuuta Erillisen Ilmatorjuntapatteriston teknillisen toimiston päälikkö majuri Juhan Wilhelm Paasikivi määrättiin patteriston komentajan viransijaiseksi.
Paasikivi was Schrecks replacement from Jan. 15th 1938 to Jan.1 1939. Thereafter Lieutenant Colonel Ekman was the commander of Itr 1:s ( whose predecessor was ErItPsto) which commanded also IpAk 15.

Juha just stated here that Defense Capitolii mentioned that IpAk 15 was under ItR1.

Harri let me translate the red text above: The threat of WW II caused to form an army detachment nieveau level antiaircraft group to defend Helsinki 1st of Jan 1938 in Suomenlinna-fortress.

Is that correct english ?

Which part of Lieutenant Colonel Ekmans position as the supreme commander of AA defence of Helsinki during the Winter War do you find hard to understand ?
Last edited by Topspeed on 14 Feb 2005, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”