Dancing forbidden in Finland-Why?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Henric Edwards

Dancing forbidden in Finland-Why?

Post by Henric Edwards » 02 Sep 2002 12:51

Why was dancing forbidden in Finland during the war years? I believe my grandmother gave me an explanation a while back, but my notes are unfortunately in another city right now so I though I'd throw out the question here. :)

~Henric Edwards

JTV

Re: Dancing forbidden in Finland-Why?

Post by JTV » 02 Sep 2002 14:08

Henric Edwards wrote:Why was dancing forbidden in Finland during the war years? I believe my grandmother gave me an explanation a while back, but my notes are unfortunately in another city right now so I though I'd throw out the question here. :)

~Henric Edwards

Having fun by dancing was seen immoral while soldiers were dying at front. Permissions for having parties with dancing could be acquired from police for special occations (weadings, betrothment etc...). Unpermitted "corner dances" were also arranged even if dancing was officially forbidden. Dancing was forbidden from 1939 to 1948, so forbiddance continued even sometime after WW2. Specially tango remained very popular among Finns from 1910's to 1960's and Finns developed their own kind of tango during that time. Tango had some popularity among older generations (read: those who didn't learn to dance disco first) even after, but it was not until 1980's that Finnish tango and old dance hall culture regained their popularity in a big way. Nowadays in Finland old style dance halls are very popular during summer time and also lot of young people enjoy dancing in there.

Henric Edwards

Re: Dancing forbidden in Finland-Why?

Post by Henric Edwards » 02 Sep 2002 14:20

JTV wrote:
Henric Edwards wrote:Why was dancing forbidden in Finland during the war years? I believe my grandmother gave me an explanation a while back, but my notes are unfortunately in another city right now so I though I'd throw out the question here. :)

~Henric Edwards

Having fun by dancing was seen immoral while soldiers were dying at front. Permissions for having parties with dancing could be acquired from police for special occations (weadings, betrothment etc...). Unpermitted "corner dances" were also arranged even if dancing was officially forbidden. Dancing was forbidden from 1939 to 1948, so forbiddance continued even sometime after WW2. Specially tango remained very popular among Finns from 1910's to 1960's and Finns developed their own kind of tango during that time. Tango had some popularity among older generations (read: those who didn't learn to dance disco first) even after, but it was not until 1980's that Finnish tango and old dance hall culture regained their popularity in a big way. Nowadays in Finland old style dance halls are very popular during summer time and also lot of young people enjoy dancing in there.

Thank you very much for the response. :)

~Henric Edwards

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”