Norwegian volunteers

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Valtoro

Norwegian volunteers

Post by Valtoro » 12 Feb 2005, 18:18

Hello,

I'm looking for some more information about the (ca) 727 Norwegian volunteers that fought in Finland in the first Winter war. They were integrated in the SFK. Many of the Norwegians went straight from fighting in Finland to fight in their own country when Germany invaded on april 9th. They fought on their own just like the Norwegian volunteers in Spain during the Civil War there. Without the offical support of the Norwegian Government, but the Norwegian public did donate clothing to Finland.
I've searched the net for information without finding much..

http://www.saima-park.org/scandinavian_ ... ghting.htm

regards,
Valtoro.

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 13 Mar 2005, 21:37

Nothing? :?
I was hoping for something when I looked the response the other posts got (Your guys are after all the experts on the Winterwar around here :D )

Here's one story about a norwegian volunteer from the Winter war during the invasion of Norway. He tried to stop a German tank with a hand grenade he had taken with him from Finland, but it was a dud, so the attack failed.

/Valtoro.

Milorg

Post by Milorg » 14 Mar 2005, 04:07

AFAIK: two died, not all saw combat. NCOs and officers where giwen leave to late to serwe in combat. Norway as a state delivered old field guns and a lot of amo. Just from the top off my head... :wink:

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 14 Mar 2005, 04:42

Milorg wrote:AFAIK: two died, not all saw combat. NCOs and officers where giwen leave to late to serwe in combat. Norway as a state delivered old field guns and a lot of amo. Just from the top off my head... :wink:
Thanks for the information (finally some answers)! Regarding the Norwegian officers, I most recently found out that a higher ranking Norwegian Officer from the General Staff was sent to Finland as an "Railroad inspector" :)

/Valtoro.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”