Amazing but true!!!!!!

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Juha Hujanen

Amazing but true!!!!!!

Post by Juha Hujanen » 04 Sep 2002, 18:10

Here's some stories from Finland during WW2.They could be called amazing but true,little known facts or.... Take your pick.

The robbery of liquorstore in city of Kajaani

During February 42 6th Division was on skimarch from Salla front to rear into small city of Kajaani.They were returning from heavy battles and were looking forward some rest.A rumour spread among men that Germans had promised a centimeter of cognac for every kilometer they skied.That helped men endure 2 weeks and 500km that march taked.When weary and thirsty men arrived to Kajaani,they were disappointed.There wasn't cognac,no rest but troops were regroupped for further action on different front.To make things worse,Divisional commander Generalmajor Vihma made thoughtless speech.In that he said if men had thought that they had had rough times,they were wrong.They were going to heavy battles and many of men would die.Men were less than enthuasiastic,especially men of I/IR54.They began call themselfes "deaths battalion".
In barracks moods were dark.They were going to front tomorrow.Atleast they wanted to drink.But there was no alcohol for men.Officers could buy alcohol from liquerstore and go to restaurant but it was denied from lower ranks.Some alcohol could be buyed from blackmarked but that wasn't enough.Soon over thousend thirsty men wanted more.Later things got out of hand.Few men were arrested for drunkness and were put on towns jail.Twenty men decited to free their comrades.They stormed jail and freeed their friends.Then they went to towns liquerstore,smashed windows and distributed alcohol to crowd of men waiting on street.184 bottles of liquer was stolen.Soon drunked mob was creating havoc on town.Shots were fired in air,men were out of controll.I/54 commander Major Salonmies tryed to controll events and did go to barracks were his men drinking.He was beaten and quite possible could have been killed,but some more sober men did get him out.He ordered officers to tame their men but they were wiser and let things calm down.Some more men were arrested by police and again men went to free them.Shots were fired to air but militarypolice arrested the rescue squad.The liquer ran out and men went to sleep their head sober.Surprisingly damages were light.Main offenders were arrested and in morning men marched to train to be transportted to front.Divisional commander was at rage and tryed to arrest men who's breath stinked.Men shouted less than kind words to him and he almoust reached for his pistol.Things weren't helped by burst from light mg to chimney of station.
In courtmarchall 9 soldiers were convicted.One men did get 6 years of hard labour,5 others did get lighter sentenced.3 got light sentenced whitch were served at their units.
The riot was censored from press.Not many even today know about this event.But goverment was deeply concerned about incident.But men from participating units regarted "rioters" as heroes.Afterall they did provide liquer to thirsty men.I have seen a homemade medal,made from liquerbottle cap.It has text "Kajaani" and it's a shape of cross.It's for memory of "battle of Kajaani" :P

Later some more....
Juha

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 04 Sep 2002, 18:42

Great story! I'm very much looking forward to more of the same. :)

~Henric Edwards

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 04 Sep 2002, 19:42

In summer 42 Fokker C.X recon plane went to mission.Pilot was 1Lt Mannermaa and observer 2Lt Paavo Kahla.The pilot was new and inexperienced and flew too low over road in enemy rear.A Marching Russian company fired the plane with rifles.Kahla shouted to pilot to pull up,when he noticed pilots head hanging unnaturally to side of his cockpit.Altitude was only 50 m.Luckily pilot had managed pull stick little backwards and plane was rising slowly.Plane was too low to parachute and Kahla didn't want to go to pow camp.Plane was going slow circle and was flying steadily.Kahla desited try to climb from outside to cockpit(Fokker C.X was old bi-plane,where pilot sit in front and observer behind him in open cockpit).Kahla opened his belt and pulled himself over slippery glass of cockpit..He clawled inch by inch towards,trying place his feet somewhere solid and drag by his hand forward. The plane flyed 300km and propeller stream tryed throw him down.His parachute was on his belly and made crawl harder but he didn't want'to take it off,he would need it if he had to jump.Suddenly he saw that ripcord had stuck somewhere and chute began to open.White silk started to pour out and chute began to fill.Kahla had to take his other hand off from plane,so he could reach his knife.The chute was dragging him out of plane and he was holding on just on one arm!.He managed to reach knife and cut cords off just before he was about loose his grip.No he was witout parachute on the top of plane in enemy terrotory with dead pilot on sticks.He however managed pull himself to cockpit,into lap of dead pilot.He wasn't qualifield pilot but he managed bring plane to home airfield.Because of dead pilot,stick didn't go enough backward and plane went over at landing.Mechanics were mildly said surprised when Kahla emerged from cockpit unharmed.
It was found that one bullet had penetrated pilot Mannermaa's hearth.
The knight of Mannerheim cross Paavo Kahla was killed as Major in war against Germans.He was shot down by AA.

Juha

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 04 Sep 2002, 20:09

Keep 'em coming Juha. :)

~Henric Edwards

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 05 Sep 2002, 19:50

The potatoes of pappa.

WO Yrjö"pappa"Turkka's unit fighter squadron 34 was located in Utti airfield in summer of 43.Turkka's family was allowed to live in cottage near airfield and he lived with his family and he even had a little garden.On one sunny day of June he was working on his little potatofield when near living old man came.Old man said"here you just work in your potato field when others are fighting in front"."Well,someone have to do this as too"pappa replied.Old man said"i must go to town,it's too easy for you flyboys" and off he wentAfter sometime phone ringed."Theres a big airfight in Gulf of Finland.Get here and go there"ordered the Squadron chief.Turkka raced with his bicycle to airfield,jumped in his Bf 109 and fly towards fight.Soon he saw a LaGG 5 and went after it.Just before he was about to shhot,he noticed 3 Russian fighter at his tail.Turkka turned the nose of his 109 down and managed to level his plane just few meters over the sea.Russians pulled up too soon and one LaGG 5 flew to his gunsight.Turkka fired and Russian crashed in the island of Lavansaari.Other Russians disengaged.Turkka returned to home airfield,reported to his commander and went back to his potatofield.Soon old man returned from town."You havent got much work dono,haven't you?".he said."No,it's have been too hot day" pappa said.Old man said"well,atleat i did managed get my business done".He left shaking his head and mumbling"it's too easy for flyboys".

And now some sad short stories.

Soldiers are always thirsty and sometimes try to make alcohol from everything.One was called "tank track".It was made from anti-freeze by pouring it to tank track in heavy sub-zero tempeatures.Poison would freeze to track and alcohol would came down to bottle.Naturally method had its hazards and blindness and deaths were not uncommon.Other "alcohol" was called "Rommel".It was wood alcohol mend to cars.One unit,gas protection company 25 suffered to it worst casualties in whole war.6 men killed in one drinking session.

In IR8 during attack phase was mysterious deaths during action.They were shot from behind but no enemy was seen.Later in one attack one man noticed how young gypsy man from one company raised his rifle and shot Private Jyrkinen from behind.Man who saw this tryed to shoot gypsy but murderer noticed him and ran to Russian side.It was found that gypsy had shot many other men.He had watched who win at cardgame lots of money and then shot that man in combat from behind and taked the money.The murderer however made error,when he told to Russians why he deserted.Russians did share same feeling against man who murdered his own men as Finns and hapless gypsy was returned to nomansland.Murderer pleaded for mercy but all the weapons in frontline started to shoot him.Russians and Finns.

That's all folks.

Juha

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 05 Sep 2002, 19:58

Juha Hujanen wrote:
That's all folks.

Juha
Aww, come on! Just a few more?! :)

~Henric Edwards

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 05 Sep 2002, 20:07

Sorry, if I say any comment on the last one, I risk banning from the forum... :oops:

~Ovidius

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 05 Sep 2002, 20:23

Hehheh,Ovidius you got a dirty mind :lol:

Henric,mayby if you mail me a pretty redhead Swedish secretary to do typing...

Ps.you got a killer avatar.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 05 Sep 2002, 20:34

Juha Hujanen wrote:Hehheh,Ovidius you got a dirty mind :lol:

Henric,mayby if you mail me a pretty redhead Swedish secretary to do typing...

Ps.you got a killer avatar.
Well, I'll see what I can do. :)

Yes, I'd like to think that I have the coolest avatar on the forum. But I'm biased of course. ;)

~Henric Edwards

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 09 Sep 2002, 13:34

Hujanen- I can so well understand Stalin's comment that 'the Finns are a recalcitrant people - and perhaps best left alone'. Sisu - eh?

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 09 Sep 2002, 18:59

Yeah,if i remember right uncle joe did say that Finns are recalcitrant people,they must be hit with hammer,that they would understand.Joe also said in Teheran:"nation(Finland),that had fight so bravely for its independence,must be respected.

Cheers Juha

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”