Himmlers visit to Finland

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
User avatar
Harri
Member
Posts: 4214
Joined: 24 Jun 2002 11:46
Location: Suomi - Finland

Post by Harri » 07 Apr 2005 17:34

Maybe a separate thread would be needed?

At the beginning of the Continuation War Infantry Regiment 29 (JR 29) belonged to 11th Division (11.D) led during the whole war by Col./Maj.Gen.(26.4.42) K. Heiskanen. His nickname was "Kylmä Kalle" [Cold Carl]. Other regiments of 11.D were JR 8 (called regiment of the "unknown soldier") and JR 50 which remained active until the end of the war. Basically 3.D defended/advanced towards east and north-east and 11.D towards north (sea was in the south and Sweden in the west). JR 29 formed by Kokkola Civil Guard District (Kok.skp) was suspended in 1942 and became additional fourth battalion of JR 8 (IV/JR 8 ). JR 50 had three battalions. Both JR 8 and JR 50 were so called "recruit regiments" which had young personnel and trained recruits. The additional IV/JR 8 became IV Battalion / 15th Brigade (IV/15.Pr.) in May 1943. I think your uncle was in that unit?

The battles south from the town of Kemi took place during the so called Lapland War. Finns invaded to Tornio north from Kemi and cut German routes. 3rd and 11th Divisions were shipped to Tornio while 15th Brigade advanced northwards along the coast roads towards Kemi with Armoured Division (Ps.D) on its right side.

User avatar
USA_Finn
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 23:45
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by USA_Finn » 08 Apr 2005 08:03

Harri wrote:Maybe a separate thread would be needed?

His nickname was "Kylmä Kalle" [Cold Carl].


"Kylmä Kalle" makes for a fine American pun: a "Kylmä Kalla" or a cold fish is someone with a bad personality.

Which German units did JR29 battle during Operation Birke, the German withdrawl from Finland, Sept - October 1944?

thx

Matti

User avatar
Topspeed
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: 15 Jun 2004 15:19
Location: Finland

Post by Topspeed » 08 Apr 2005 08:57

USA_Finn wrote:
Harri wrote:Maybe a separate thread would be needed?

His nickname was "Kylmä Kalle" [Cold Carl].


"Kylmä Kalle" makes for a fine American pun: a "Kylmä Kalla" or a cold fish is someone with a bad personality.

Which German units did JR29 battle during Operation Birke, the German withdrawl from Finland, Sept - October 1944?

thx

Matti


Excellent Matti Cold Fish indeed.

User avatar
Harri
Member
Posts: 4214
Joined: 24 Jun 2002 11:46
Location: Suomi - Finland

Post by Harri » 08 Apr 2005 16:13

Matti, you didn't read my post carefully enough. JR 29 was suspended and only its one battalion remained as IV (4th) Battalion of 15th Brigade. In military passports such "forgot" unit changes were common so don't take that information as "God's words". Kalle is a name equal about to name Carl but "kala" with one "l" only is a fish.

Kemi was defended by elements of 6. SS-Geb.-Division Nord, 7. Gebirgs-Division and Divisions-Gruppe "Kräutler". These elements belonged to Kampfgruppe West which secured German southern flank between Gulf of Bothnia (sea) and lake Oulujärvi.

User avatar
USA_Finn
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 23:45
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by USA_Finn » 08 Apr 2005 17:30

Harri wrote:Matti, you didn't read my post carefully enough. JR 29 was suspended and only its one battalion remained as IV (4th) Battalion of 15th Brigade. In military passports such "forgot" unit changes were common so don't take that information as "God's words". Kalle is a name equal about to name Carl but "kala" with one "l" only is a fish.

Kemi was defended by elements of 6. SS-Geb.-Division Nord, 7. Gebirgs-Division and Divisions-Gruppe "Kräutler". These elements belonged to Kampfgruppe West which secured German southern flank between Gulf of Bothnia (sea) and lake Oulujärvi.


Kalle on kylmä kala.

A new thread is started on this topic. Thank you for your help.
viewtopic.php?t=75126

Matti

User avatar
Harri
Member
Posts: 4214
Joined: 24 Jun 2002 11:46
Location: Suomi - Finland

Post by Harri » 08 Apr 2005 17:38

USA_Finn wrote:Kalle on kylmä kala.


:? In which language - or in which dialect? Never heard of that before. :oops:

User avatar
USA_Finn
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 23:45
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by USA_Finn » 09 Apr 2005 07:23

Harri wrote:
USA_Finn wrote:Kalle on kylmä kala.


:? In which language - or in which dialect? Never heard of that before. :oops:


Harri, in American slang a cold fish is an individual devoid of humor or personality.

User avatar
tigre
Member
Posts: 9056
Joined: 20 Mar 2005 11:48
Location: Argentina

Re: Himmlers visit to Finland

Post by tigre » 05 Aug 2020 19:02

Hello to all :D; a complement..................................

SS-Reichsführer - Kestenga sector.

Source: https://www.picuki.com/tag/kestenga

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”