Marshal Mannerheim´s children in France during war, true?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Antti V

Marshal Mannerheim´s children in France during war, true?

Post by Antti V » 27 Mar 2002, 20:17

This may be bit hard question but surely someone knows answers to these questions :)

Finland´s Marshal C. G. E. Mannerheim had two children from his marriage with noble Russian Anastasia Arapova. They get divorced in 1919. Their children names were Anastasie (b. 1893 d. 1978) and Sophie (b. 1895 d.1963).
I would like to know where did they live during WW2. I have heard that they did live in France whole their life, also during WW2. Is that true? How were they treated by Germans/Allies because what they were? Or was they just regular women and nobody did know who their father was?

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 27 Mar 2002, 21:35

From what I could find om http://www.mannerheim.fi the children moved from France to Finland in 1913. Sophie lived in Switzerland and England during the first world war, moved back to Finland in 1918 but later moved back to France where she helped with campaigns for Finland during the Winter war.

Anastasia moved to England and became a nun, but she left in the 30's. Don't know where she went after that.

Sorry, that's the best I could do. :)

Anastasia

~Henric Edwards

JariL

Sophie in Paris

Post by JariL » 28 Mar 2002, 10:17

Hi Antti,

Sophie did not get any favours from the Germans. Mannerheim sent her some money during the war but it was very difficult. I don't know why Mannerheim did not use his position to improve the situation of her daughter but my guess is that he did not want to "owe" anything to the Germans. In his world if you asked a favour you were short one and that was not the way he wanted it to be with Hitler.

Regards,

Jari

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 28 Mar 2002, 14:10

You are right, JariL. Mannerheim really didn´t wanted own anything to Hitler or Germans. Is here any book about Mannerheim´s children and their life?

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”