Another question for the Finns. :)

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
subskipper

Another question for the Finns. :)

Post by subskipper » 11 Mar 2002, 19:31

Here's the deal; My grandfathers "soldbuch" or soldiers passport, sais that he was with the 9th company of JR4 during his time at the front. His records from the Sota Arkisto claim that he was in the 7th and 11th companies during his time in the 8th division. Which source would you claim to be the most accurate? I know it's more of a judgement question, but I would appreciate some input in this matter.

Regards

~Henric Edwards

JTV

Tought to say

Post by JTV » 12 Mar 2002, 09:38

Could be all three or error in either of the two documents. 7th Company would be in 2nd Battalion while 9th and 11th would be in 3rd Battalion. Unfortenately the war-time paperwork is not always complete or too accurate. I assume that you found the info at Sota-arkisto from kantakortti (= master card). Based on personal experience (from checking the documents of my grandfather from Sota-arkisto) I would doubt the information at "kantakortti" more then the one in "sotilaspassi" (= soldiers passport). I doubt that no markings were usually done to "sotilaspassi" during the war, but to "kantakortti" the markings were done during the war. Usually there was little time to make markings or check the information during the war, so I would consider "sotilaspassi" bit more reliable :?

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 12 Mar 2002, 10:32

JTV,

Yes I did get the info from the kantakortti. I really appreciate your input. If I go by his own account he claimed that his friend Väinö Kaatranen was in the company "above" his so to speak (ie 10th). I just checked the database over killed Finnish soldiers and Kaatranen was in the 10th company. That indicates that my grandfather indeed was in the 9th company.

~Henric Edwards

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 12 Mar 2002, 20:02

My experience is that if your grandfather (or who ever) is from ceded areas, those kantakorttis are mainly rewritten after war. Propably much info from memory. And therefore those may not be valid. My grandfather´s military pass did include much such info what were not marked at all into Sota-arkisto´s records. And vice versa unfortunately. I´m not sure which one I should believe more. But mainly I do know what he did and when by family´s older members.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 12 Mar 2002, 21:36

Nice to see you here Antti! :-) Thanks for the input. Unfortunately he doesn't remember all that much about what unit he was in so my only source is the soldiers passport and the kantakorttis.

~Henric Edwards

Patrick Edwin Cooley

Post by Patrick Edwin Cooley » 14 Dec 2003, 08:50

:D

Hello!

Did your grandfather fight in "Operation Barbarossa", Henric?

Or did he volunteer for Finland in the earlier "Winter War"?

Just curious!

Thank you very much!

:D

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”