Soviet Cannibalism during Winter and Continuation war

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Tero T

Soviet Cannibalism during Winter and Continuation war

Post by Tero T » 17 Nov 2005, 04:23

Good Day!
Well here i am asking for help on a topic that is not that pleasant. I purchased off ebay a photo that came from a respectable dealer in western Finland. The photo are the remains of a Soviet soldier that was dissected and eaten by his comrades. I understand that the Finns had encircled this unit during winter and the unit would not surrender more than likely due to NKVD personnel amongst them. Has anyone heard of this and when and where it happened . My father served in the Maaselka area of north Karelia during WWII and was with Pion25 and later with Pion 29/3 company attached to JR56. He passed away 9 years ago and if I showed him the picture I am sure he would state a mine did this . I am reluctantly posting the picture as it might cause Tuco to have nighmares but here it goes and I appreciate any information because it will be part of my next display as grim as it is. Regards Tero T
Last edited by Tero T on 24 Nov 2005, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 17 Nov 2005, 15:12

Hi

Yes, a very unpleasant topic, but, if I remember this correct, have not my litterature at hand when writing, there was documented cases of cannibalism in the Soviet 1. Partisan Brigade wich during July - August 1942 was operating behind the Finnish lines in the Maaselkä area. Initially the Finnish Frontierjäger Batallion 5 and then two batallions from !2.Brigade was chasing it, and was at several moments near to encirkle the partisans. As said, will remember that there was found out during the chase that members of the Partisan Brigade had been eating their comrades.

Regards

Esa K

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 17 Nov 2005, 17:17

Thanks for the info. I will try to dig out my books to see if it is mentioned in some of the unit histories Sinineen Prikati comes to mind. Here is the pic that did not come through on the first pass. Tero T
Last edited by Tero T on 17 Nov 2005, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 17 Nov 2005, 17:33

Tero T, I´m not a moderator here, but think it´s against the AHF forum rules to post atrocity photograps here:

From the forum rules section:
2. Atrocity photographs

Atrocity photographs are not specifically covered in the forum rules. The policy here is, if the photos are "graphic," the contributor should post a link to the photographs, rather than the photographs themselves, so that the other viewers have a choice as to whether or not to take a look.

That leaves us with the question of what is "graphic." This is apparently discretionary with the moderator/host. Here's my view on it:

I don't care who is supposed to have committed the atrocities in the photographs. Whether the subject matter is Nazi, communist, ethnic, regional, racial, religious or any other type of atrocity, links and descriptions should be posted for the following classes of photographs and illustrations:

(a) Mutilated persons, alive or dead;

(b) Severed body parts, insufficient in themselves to constitute a person; and

(c) Dead persons who are not only dead, but who clearly appear to be the worse for wear.

There are specialty sites which cater to necro-voyeurs, but this isn't one of them. In case of doubt, ask first via private message.

Noncomplying posts will be deleted without warning.

regards

Esa K

Dmitry

Post by Dmitry » 17 Nov 2005, 17:40

Maybe the soldier was killed in an explosion and here we can see collected body parts?

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 17 Nov 2005, 18:02

I remember seeing a picture with remains of skinned Soviet soldier who was eaten by his comrades.If i remember correctly they were lost from their unit and finally captured by Finns.This too was from Maaselkä area.

Regards/Juha

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 17 Nov 2005, 20:35

My apologies . Please remove it. I know it is graphic and not meant to offend . I think though it gets across the total brutality of war which I know in the western media is glossed over. I play by the rules so please remove it or do I. ? ThanksTero T

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 18 Nov 2005, 13:15

Hi.

1. ...and, I´m sorry if the tone in my latest post sounded a bit patronizing, but it was just meant to say that I have observed here at the different AHF-forums that often pictures of that kind is leading to lots of off topic arguing etc etc, so think thats one more reason to the rule about the atrocity photograps here.

2. Back to topic, cause I think I totally understand your point with the posting... As you said:
I think though it gets across the total brutality of war which
In this book: Suomi sodassa : Talvi- ja jatkosodan tärkeät päivät. Helsinki 1982, theres a short text about the destruction of the 1. Partisan Brigade, and it´s there I have found the mention about cannibalism in the brigade, but theres just one line about it, it goes something like this in English: "In the path of the partisans was found those who had starved to death, cannibalism and wounded that had been drowned in a small lake..."

Regards

Esa K

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 18 Nov 2005, 15:24

Terrve!
Thanks for the lead and I will check into that book. I kind of suspected this pic was out of order . Anyhow the information received has given me direction. Kiitoksia! Thanks Tero T

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 18 Nov 2005, 15:31

Esa,

thanks co-mod :)
You were right about the atrocity photograps, they can be linked here, but as different kind of people (underage etc) visit this Forum, posting them here is not advised.
Esa K wrote:In this book: Suomi sodassa : Talvi- ja jatkosodan tärkeät päivät. Helsinki 1982, theres a short text about the destruction of the 1. Partisan Brigade, and it´s there I have found the mention about cannibalism in the brigade, but theres just one line about it, it goes something like this in English: "In the path of the partisans was found those who had starved to death, cannibalism and wounded that had been drowned in a small lake..."
Here is also few mentions about the same subject from the past:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... t&start=15

Regards, Juha

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 19 Nov 2005, 17:39

Thanks I have reviewed the book and found the statement you mentioned. Actually a good article on the destruction of the 1st partisan brigade. This happened july August of 1942 yet my picture and others I have seen were winter. I wonder if the fine young cannibals were elsewhere during the war or earlier in the Winter war. Tero T

osip

Post by osip » 22 Nov 2005, 23:24

this is propaganda

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 22 Nov 2005, 23:33

osip wrote:this is propaganda
Care to elaborate? :lol:

osip

Post by osip » 23 Nov 2005, 00:11

War is broke out.

Bolshevism is great and terrible .And all good for glorious victory

Tero T