Russians getting rude

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Juha Hujanen

Russians getting rude

Post by Juha Hujanen » 04 Oct 2002, 19:09

This was found written in door of church of Hiitola by retreating Russians in 41.Picture of this among other material was send to Arcbishop of Canterbury after he was wishing good luck to Russian in fight against Germany.
Quite catchy slogan and propably summs well Russian feelings towards Finland at the time :lol:
Attachments
rude.jpg
rude.jpg (72.17 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 04 Oct 2002, 19:30

What does it say, I think it says 'Vittu' but I'm not sure?

regards

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 04 Oct 2002, 19:40

Well,it's say"f*ck you Finland".Both words are wrongly spelled :lol:

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 05 Oct 2002, 15:27

With all due respect, but what about the authenticity of that photograph?

Firstly, it doesn't look to me at all like a chuch door, but rather like the door of a storehouse or some other very mundane building, or indeed a gate in a fence - isn't there really empty space above the door on the left?

Secondly, the text in white does not appear more grey towards the left side of the picture, as you would expect because the lighting is dimmer there. In other words, it looks like the text would have been added later by manipulating the photo.

The text is however misspelled in a way that one might expect someone to do, who has been used to the cyrillic letter "Y" meaning the sound "U" in Finnish. Of course, this insult is quite primitive, and thus not very impressive in its content.

By the way, what was the message of the Archbishop of Canterbury? I remember vaguely him having either prayed or wished for the defeat of Finland, but what exactly was the context?

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 06 Oct 2002, 16:37

Hi hmonenen.Picture is genuine.It did suffer in scanning(i've had scanner only for week :oops:).
You must realise that war had run over that area twice and Russians had used church for everything than it's original purpose.Even as toilet.The door propably isn't original but have been replaced with another door.And most likely it's not main door.
Things did gone like this.When Finnish army recaptured Hiitola in 41(it was lost in pece treaty in 40),they found church profaned.Chaplain in Finnish army Antti Rantamaa writed a story about that and it was published in newspaper called Suomen Sosiaalidemokraatti(Finnish Social Democrat).Headline of story was:Profaned house of lord-open letter toArcbishop of Cantertbury.During Winter War Cosmo Gordon Lang,the Arcbishop of Canterbury,asked all members of his church to pray for succes and wellbeing for"little but so brave army of Finland,in it's strugle against Stalin".When Germany attacked to Russia,he asked to pray for Russians.Anyway,story was published in 3.9.41 and on next day it was translated to German in their embassy.Then things escalated.Story was published in Germany in Zwölf Uhr Blatt called big newspaper.Germans even translated story in English and 40000 leaflets were dropped to London!.
After the war,in negolatins in treaty of Paris one Brittish negoatiator said to Finnish negoatiator that they were deeply offented that German propaganda had had great material from that episode.

Regards Juha

Bair

Post by Bair » 04 Nov 2002, 12:34

Hi there,

there is one more similar picture taken on Karelian Isthmus, I think in Kivenappa - the church has the same inscription on the door. It is also misspelled, written with 2 o's on the end.

It was probably on oder of some polituks that such things were written all aound Karelian Isthmus.

regards,

Bair
http://www.mannerheim-line.com

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”