SS-Aufseherinnen Haase

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Wobbler

SS-Aufseherinnen Haase

Post by Wobbler » 06 Apr 2003, 18:38

In the book "Return to Auschwitz" by Kitty Hart-Moxon she tells a story about been caught trying to smuggle a small tin of sardines to her mother.
She tells:"It was the venomous SS woman Haase who triumphantly pulled the tin out."

I have tried to get more information of this SS woman without sucsess.

Is there anybody out there who got any information on this SS woman to share , I would be more than happy.

dylan

Haase

Post by dylan » 06 Apr 2003, 21:08

The camp woman list one woman with the name Haase in Auschwitz.

Haase christa no further information ( birthday or birthplace )

regards dylan

Jeremy Dixon

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 06 Apr 2003, 22:24

Her name is Elizabeth Hasse, not Haase

Born: 24 January 1917

She was Fraulagerfuhrer at Budy sub-camp. She arrived at Auschwitz in October 1942 and first acted as head of the womens work detail at Rajsko sub-camp. Then she directed the womens penal company. In 1944 she became head of the womens work detail at the womens camp at Birkenau, she held this post until January 1945.

Wobbler

Post by Wobbler » 10 Apr 2003, 14:03

Many thanks , trbooks , for the clearification of the subject , it helped me alot.
Also thanks to dylan for the response

regards Wobbler.

Francoise

Post by Francoise » 02 Jun 2007, 00:15

Kitty Hart wrote "I am Alive". Is "Return to Auschwitz " the same book, or a sequel?

I loved Kitty's spirit,and the way she described herself as a "cunning dodger" who got extra rations and "didn't do a stroke of work." Hee, hee. Good one!

kinga1212

Re: SS-Aufseherinnen Haase

Post by kinga1212 » 19 Nov 2010, 18:27

I see I'm not the only one looking for some information about this woman (but I'm looking 7 years later).
I found name Hasse in a book 'Five Chimneys' by Olga Lengyel. Hasse's first name wasn't there.

nahty

Post by nahty » 09 Feb 2012, 09:51

Hasse was mentioned and discussed in the context of personal encounters at Auschwitz & Auschwitz II in the book entitled Rena's Promise: Two Sisters in Auschwitz. A very cruel woman as she is depicted.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 11 Feb 2012, 22:17

I've moved this thread from the Women's section to the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes section, where it's more likely to receive additional information.

~Vikki

ansata1976

Post by ansata1976 » 13 Sep 2017, 02:49

Berta Martha Elisabeth Hasse (born Berger)
24.12.1917 in Görlitz
SS-Aufseherin in Ravensbrück, Auschwitz-Birkenau, Budy
Before 1945 KL Ravensbrück
Since 10.1942 Kommandoführerin subcamp Budy (Brzeszcze-Budy)
1943 KL Auschwitz-Birkenau
1944 Kommandoführerin KL Auschwitz-Birkenau
End 1944 she left Auschwitz because she was pregnant
arrested by the Soviets 15.11.1945
She was tried and sentenced to death by shooting by the Soviet Military Tribunal 10.09.1946 (Executed 03.10.1946)

Wobbler

Post by Wobbler » 13 Sep 2017, 15:48

Great layout - ansata1976 !!
This filled in a lot of blanks for me in my records.

Thanks a lot.

Regards Wobbler

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 02 Jan 2018, 16:17

On January 5 (some claim 6) 1944, four Jewish women from Union factory underground group were publicly executed by hanging in the new women's camp (next to Auschwitz I) for sabotage related to the sondercommando revolt (October 7, 1944). These were Rosa Robota, Ella Gartner, Regina Safir, and Estera Wajsblum. I have read two separate testimonies (by Bella Hazan and Sara Gutfreund, who witnessed the hanging and its aftermath) that one of the condemned women, Estera Wajsblum, was not dead when removed from the gallows by prisoner nurses serving at the camp's infirmary. She was taken by them to the infirmary and the nurses tried to bring her to life, but an SS Aufseherin came in and shot her. Gutfreund specifically named Hasse for this murder.

One problem - the date is inconsistent with the above statement by Ansata 1976 that pregnant Hasse left Auschwitz at the end of 1944. Could it be early January 1945?

Wobbler

Post by Wobbler » 02 Jan 2018, 20:14

Great to see that this thread is still alive!!
Dear Yull
Read your post with interest.
Looked up the matter in "Auschwitz Chronicle" from the archives of Auschwitz memorial and German federal archives and it was logged in on jan 6th.
It took place in the new extension camp in Auschwitz 1 for women working in Unionwerke.
The execution took place in two stages. Two of the women mentioned was hanged during the evening roll call in the presence of men and women working the nightshift at Unionwerke and the other two was hanged after the return of the squad working the dayshift.
The First Protective Custody Commander Hössler was in command and screams to the croud that "All traitors will be destroyed in this manner".
No record on Hasse´s murder or the failure of the hanging , but of course they would not put that down on a paper.

I read a interesting essay called "Auf den spuren von Annelise Franz" in german some time ago,and it turn out that Anneliese Franz was the older sister of Elisabeth Hasse and she was also a SS-Aufseherinnen working together with Hasse at Auschwitz, and she stated that Hasse had found out that she had become pregnant after a love affair with an SS-man called Phillip .... right at the very end of 1944.
It is therefore most likely that she still was in duty and present in the camp on Jan 6th.

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 03 Jan 2018, 15:34

Thanks. This also fits with the dates of Hasse's service at Auschwitz in the post of Jeremy Dixon above.

The confusion about the dates of execution (January 5 or 6, 1945), which appears in several testimonies, perhaps is due to the fact that it was performed in two separate stages, as you noted above (first Regina Safir-Spirstein and Ella Gartner and then Rosa Robota and Estera Wajsblum), so all Union workers, day shift and night shift, could share the horrific experience.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 06 Jan 2018, 18:09

Wobbler wrote:[...]
Looked up the matter in "Auschwitz Chronicle" from the archives of Auschwitz memorial and German federal archives and it was logged in on jan 6th.
It took place in the new extension camp in Auschwitz 1 for women working in Unionwerke.
[...]
No record on Hasse´s murder or the failure of the hanging , but of course they would not put that down on a paper.[...]
Do you mean the serial "Zeszyty Oświęcimskie = Hefte von Auschwitz = Auschwitz Studies" or the book "Kalendarz wydarzen w KL Auschwitz"? In case you´re talking about the later:

Since when took the Bundesarchiv (= German federal archive) part in the publication of this book? I own the original Polish version and the author is the Polish historian Danutra Czech, published by National Museum Auschwitz - Birkenau in 1992.
Where from do you have the information that the execution took place in the so called "Lagererweiterung" in Auschwitz I? There is no word about this, it´s just "in the evening at the women camp in Auschwitz I".
Why should a Polish historian hesitate to mention such scene? She described/mentions much more cruel actions in the book.

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 08 Jan 2018, 11:23

History1:
Where from do you have the information that the execution took place in the so called "Lagererweiterung" in Auschwitz I? There is no word about this, it´s just "in the evening at the women camp in Auschwitz I".
The hanging took place at the Lagererweiterung - the extension (expansion) of the women camp.

Two separate testimonies from the book "The Union Kommando in Auschwitz" by Lore Shelly, UPA, 1996:
"...where hanged in front of the kitchen barracks in the new camp extension", Clara Heimann, Shelley, p. 245
"...were publically hanged in front of the kitchen block at the women's extension camp in Auschwitz I", Mara Cige', Shelley, p. 302.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”