Carl Clauberg and artificial insemination

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Yuli

Carl Clauberg and artificial insemination

Post by Yuli » 19 Mar 2019, 12:58

Many books and websites describing the dreadful Nazi doctor Carl Clauberg's (in)human experiments mention the following :

"Clauberg also (i.e. in addition to sterilization experiments in Block 10) conducted artificial insemination experiments on 300 women at Auschwitz. Adding to their physical abuse, he reportedly taunted the women by telling them that he inseminated them with animal sperm and that monsters were now growing in their wombs".

What is the primary evidence that this really happened? What was the purpose of the project presumably supported by Himmler, and how was it carried it out?

Thank you for any information on this topic.

wm

Re: Carl Clauberg and artificial insemination

Post by wm » 20 Mar 2019, 22:59

The Lagerältester of the hospital, Władysław Fejkiel only mentions Clauberg's negative demography experiments and tests of non-iodine contrast agents in his books, so it's most likely one of the gossips and myths produced so frequently by the prisoners.

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 21 Mar 2019, 11:55

Yes, it seems these were rumors, perhaps perpetuated by Clauberg himself, who likely had also a perverted sense of humor.

I do have further questions about block 10.

1. It is well known that Schumann was conducting X-ray sterilization experiments in Block 30 of women's camp in Birkenau. This is were Clauberg started his own intrauterine injection experiments before moving to Block 10 in main camp. But what was Schumann doing in Block 10? Apparently he had a section allocated to his work. Were the two "scientists" collaborating or competing in the development of mass sterilization techniques?

2. The camp's official "brothel" (a disturbing name for a place of sex slavery) was in Block 24. Why is block 10 also mentioned as housing a brothel? There is a recent book by Sommer “Das KZ Bordell” which my give some information about that, but it has not been translated to English.

Thank you for your replies.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 21 Mar 2019, 19:53

> Why is block 10 also mentioned as housing a brothel?

Where?

wm

Post by wm » 21 Mar 2019, 20:23

I suppose block 10 was more suitable than the wooden barrack (and mud) in Birkenau.
Schumann sterilized in Birkenau, and removed internal organs for further research in Auschwitz I.

The two scientists weren't collaborating or competing, it was two separate developments, pursued because success any of them wasn't assured. And because Clauberg concerned himself with women, Schumann mostly with men.

According to Stanisław Kłodziński (in his "Z zagadnień ludobójstwa: "sterylizacja" i kastracja promieniami Roentgena w obozie oświęcimskim. Dr Horst Schumann") Schumann (or rather his mentor Victor Brack) was first - in 1941. Supposedly he regarded the Holocaust as un-German and preferred sterilization of all Jews, but Hitler rejected his proposal for some reason.

In the end, Clauberg was successful (according to him it was possible to sterilize up to 1000 people per day per doctor) and Schumann not. Schumann admitted that X-ray sterilization was impractical in his final report in 1944.

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 21 Mar 2019, 21:42

wm: Schumann sterilized in Birkenau, and removed internal organs for further research in Auschwitz I.
According to Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum publication "Auschwitz 1940-1945 - The Prisoners", page 356 (English addition), the removal of sex organs by Schumann's team (prisoner physicians Dering and Samuel) were performed in hospital blocks 21 and 28 in Auschwitz I. So the question of what was he doing in his block 10 laboratory is still open.

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 21 Mar 2019, 22:15

Sergey Romanov: Why is block 10 also mentioned as housing a brothel?
Robert J Lifton: "The Nazi Doctors", pages 270-271 (1986)
Reading it again I now think he got it wrong, His description of the Block 10 brothel befits that of the "puff" in Block 24.

wm

Post by wm » 21 Mar 2019, 23:24

That's true it was in the hospital. According to Kłodziński, in block 10 he performed his usual X-ray experiments but on Jewish girls from Thessaloniki.
It was 15 girls 17-18 years old, between March and August 1944.
According to Polish Underground, the block (or its part) was called: Hyg. Lab. Unterstelle der Waffen SS Süd-Ost.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 22 Mar 2019, 08:47

Yuli wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 22:15
Sergey Romanov: Why is block 10 also mentioned as housing a brothel?
Robert J Lifton: "The Nazi Doctors", pages 270-271 (1986)
Reading it again I now think he got it wrong, His description of the Block 10 brothel befits that of the "puff" in Block 24.
So it is not described as a brothel. Merely a place where prostitutes lived for some time apparently before being transferred elsewhere (which makes sense).

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 22 Mar 2019, 15:18

Sergey Romanov: So it is not described as a brothel. Merely a place where prostitutes lived for some time apparently before being transferred elsewhere (which makes sense).
In which case I wonder whether the temporary housing of female sex slaves in Block 10 - if that was the case - was connected to the fact that the block contained two sterilization centers. I read somewhere that women selected for serving in the "puff" were sterilized. Is there any evidence for that (which would render the word 'merely' inappropriate)?

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 22 Mar 2019, 15:54

Where did you read that?

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 22 Mar 2019, 21:18

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_ca ... rld_War_II
German camp brothels in World War II
"Some of them underwent forced sterilizations as well as forced abortions, often resulting in death.[3]"
3. Nanda Herbermann; Hester Baer; Elizabeth Roberts Baer (2000). The Blessed Abyss: Inmate #6582 in Ravensbruck Concentration Camp for Women (Google Books). Detroit: Wayne State University Press. pp. 33–34. ISBN 0-8143-2920-9. Page 34 of the introduction, which refers to prostitutes in Nazi camps in general.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”