Story behind this 12th SS photo

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
snookie

Post by snookie » 02 May 2006, 16:54

Juha Hujanen wrote:Earlier discussion of same subject:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... tlerjugend

/Juha

Thanks for the link Juha!
There was some interesting/funny stuff to be found there....mainly these:
Andreas wrote:Is there any proof the soldier in question was...beaten up at all?
Andreas wrote:and if so, beaten up after he surrendered?
another gem
Andreas wrote:My understanding of a combat environment is that injuries/bruises are easily acquired, without the need for someone to use a fist to help.
Yep, he was so clumsy that he kept on falling face first until he broke his nose and swelled his left eye shut...probably before the Canadians got there....

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 02 May 2006, 18:00

Rob - wssob2 wrote:If we want to learn the story behind the photograph, we will need the information I asked about earlier.
N "Steel Inferno", Michael Reynolds devotes a whole chapter to allied warcrimes in Normandy.
Having read Steel Inferno multiple times, I would counter that Reynolds as an author and researcher tends to whitewash Waffen-SS warcrimes and close affinity to Nazi ideas. His claims WRT to allied war crimes tend to be heresay allegations more than documented facts.
I cannot remember in which text I mentioned above it is in, but the author stated that anyone caught wearing camouflage might not make it back to the prisoner collection pens.
But most SS troops captureed at Normandy did make it to POW collection points.

BTW practically all 12th SS "Hitler Youth" troops were issued cammo fatigues.

The fact that they were fighting SS troops seems to be common knowledge at least down to the Allied battalion staff level, so why would Canadian troops assume that all Germans wearing camoflauge were snipers?

IN one of the references above they also mentioned that anyone carrying some sort of allied war souvenier or a sniper RARELY was taken prisoner.
I assure you that GI accounts of the ETO also mention the danger of being captured with souveniers. It is a bad idea to get captured by a guy when you have his dead buddy's rank tabs and girlfriend photo in your fatigue jacket.
That eye swelled shut looks more like a rifle butt or fist/boot type wound as opposed to shrapnel...but since we do not have definitive proof one way or the other, I guess we can believe whatever we want about how he received his wounds.
The panzergrenadier could have walked into a barn door or had the barrel of a 88mm gun clock him on the head. Snookie is right - unless we get the background information, we're just speculating.
And then I must ask you Rob, doesn´t you think that Allied soldiers could and committed warcrimes against
German Soldiers and espeacially SS Soldiers?
As I mentioned earlier, most accounts of Canadian war crimes against SS troops tend to be hearsay and they tend to be brought up in context of arguments attempting absolve 12th SS CO Kurt "Panzer" Meyer for the execution of Canadian POWs during the first week of the Normandy campaign.

Whatever war crimes committed by Allied troops during the Normandy campaign - either by Canadians or 101st AB troops as documented by historians like Reynolds and Bando - tend to be spontaneous, unpremeditated acts committed immediately after combat actions against a prisoner or small groups of prisoners, and I am certain that those same type of crimes of passion were committed by 12th SS troops as well.

However, what you will not find on the Allied side is the deliberate execution of POWs after they have been interrogated by the regimental staff - as you do with "Panzer" Meyer and the SS-PGR 25 at the Abbaye Ardenne on June 7th-8th, 1944.

BTW - 12th SS troops are documented for killing at least 40 Canadian POWs within 48 hours of the landings on the Normandy beachheads. You will have a hard time convincing me that these killings were in reprisal for Canadian war crimes. Little fishes - we'll throw them into the sea - right?
When I read your post you are always defending Allied soldiers
and in you point of view they must have been angels,
Not angels, but the "good-guys" of WWII. They fought to liberate Europe.
I have a photo of two SS-soldiers who after the war was brought to the former KL Dachau as POW´s and they on the photo also
badly beated, fate of those two SS-soldiers is unknown, the is held in a very small room where they even can´t stand on their
feet, and the capture of the photo is saying that he SS-men had to stay attention every time the door opened, but they had to
do on their knees. The photo is taken in May 1945. I wonder what the Geneva konvention is saying about
that kind of treatment. I know that many will say that the SS got what they deserved, but I think that´s wrong to justify the allied treatment
Having reseached the liberation of Dachau exhaustively, I assure you that whatever mistreatment US troops and former KZ inmates meted out to Germans captured at the installation pales in scale to the massive crimes committed by the SS at the installation in the fortnight preceeding the camp's liberation.
I can name how many incidents as ever, but one is on April 29, 1945 in Weibling were 43 SS-soldiers (regular Troops) was sumaliry
shot by members of the 42 US Div.
I already wrote a thread on it in the Warcrimes section. It's an unsubstantiated allegation based on a 1980 article by Andrew Mollo.
I have always thinked about those to SS-men and wondered what the
US Officers did to prevent that kind of treatment of German POW´s. Did they had to learn the "Rules of Engagement" and the
Geneva Convention at West Point or which Cadettacadamy they entered.
You know Georg, on Sept 6th, 1944 Belgian partisans captured "Panzer" Meyer - they literally hauled him out his hidey-hole in a chicken coop at Spontin. They were all ready to string Meyer up on the nearest lamppost but it was US troops who protected Meyer from summary execution and got him safely to a POW collection point. (BTW this is all documented in Vol II of H. Meyers history of the division. Hubert Meyer,was, as you know, the IA of the 12th SS division and Panzer Meyers chief of staff.)

Shouldn't the GI's get credit for that?

BTW maybe this young panzergrenadier is one of the triggermen at Ascq.

Care to discuss what the 12th SS did on April 1, 1944?
At first I have to once more state that I know that the Waffen-SS and the German Army did comitt Warcrimes, as I stated in my last post.

IN Weibling there is a memorial of those 43 dead SS-Soldiers at the farm nearby there is also a witness still alive (?) who saw the whole action. I can post a couple of photos from that memorial if you want, I haven´t got the info from Mollo or elsewhere.

If we can justify all the crimes made by the Allied with comments "There is no proof" we uses the same language
as Furission, Irving, Butz etc. We must be able to reason that without doubts this and that must have happened.
I have meet several SS-vets and many of those had not good things to say about the Canadians, one I once knew
listed who was worst, and he served at the eastern front the whole war.
1. Chechz
2. Russians
3. Poland
4. Canadians
5. US
6. UK

He surrendered to the English army, much because of what other had said to him, aviod the US and Canadian army
he also had disguised himself wearing a PZ-Jacket, but a friend of him told him to remove that because of the Skulls
on the tabs, because the Allied would find him as a member of the SS-T division.

In Fürbringens book there is photos of dead members of the Hohenstaufen division they have been badly mutilated, their hands are tied together and their legs as well and then theyhave been hanged up into some trees. After that the Russians have made the most spectaculare things with those SS-Soldiers. But with your opinion they must have tied themself and in some way used their bajonets etc. to do such things to themself or...? Because we have no proof of what happened, or was it just the Russians who comitted warcrimes against the Germans? If so we are back to such statements as the Irving etc uses to justify their beliefs.

If we go back to Dachau I know that you think it was right to slaughter those SS who still was in the camp. But I not sure, I think the world would have looked better if we could have read the reason why they worked in camp and that those men had been brought into justice. Instead there have started a long discussion about those killings and why they did it.
I posted in the warcrimes sector parts of a mail I have gotten from a US vet who was there on April 29, 1945, and he admit that at that point didn´t know that the SS-men who was there was from regular Waffen-SS troops. Go back and read what I wrote.

OK I can agree that the cause of the Allied soldiers was good, to remove Hitler from power etc. But if they where all good guys I don´t know. All armies have their bad eggs, even the SS had and many of them was punished of it. But if we look at the latest war the US was involved in, not many thinks of Saddam Hussein, instead of that you think of Guantanamo Bay and Abu Garibh Prison and the treatment of the prisoners there. Still the Geneva Convention.

//Georg

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 02 May 2006, 19:19

Ok Qvist, I'll bite...
There is nothing to bite. Leave the moderating to the moderators, that's all.
Riddle me this, how does the murder of SS troops at Dachau (by US troops and liberated camp personnel) during the liberation of the camp have anything to do with the photo that started this thread?
That issue was not brought up by Rob.

cheers

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 02 May 2006, 19:59

The original post in this thread asked about known facts regarding the photograph in question. It did not specifically or exclusively ask about the injuries of the Waffen-SS soldier, and made no direct suggestion regarding the nature of the damages. The inquiry was broad.

The subsequent discussion has presented little information about the photograph except for the unit of the Waffen-SS soldier and the nationality of the Allied soldier. The discussion regarding the photograph also seems greatly influenced by personal oppinion, which is in direct opposition to the original purpose of the thread.

It is not helpful to reply a question with unsourced oppinion, and it would be advisable that the posters keep this in mind in future posts in the thread.

Furthermore, while the subsequent discussion if interesting and certainly within the scope of how the thread had turned out, it should be remembered that the discussions on the forum are based on facts, not hearsay and oppinion.

Specifically, I would like to direct my remark at snookie, who challenges Rob regarding the survivability rate of POWs by stating that it would be impossbleto find the survivability rate, while at the same time having previously made implied statements to the contrary:
snookie wrote:the author stated that anyone caught wearing camouflage might not make it back to the prisoner collection pens
Rob - wssob2 wrote:But most SS troops captureed at Normandy did make it to POW collection points
snookie wrote:I would like to ask though, how do you know that most POWs made it to the POW collection points? Sources please? (impossible task my friend and I hope that the moderator deletes your unsourced posts)
If it should be impossble for Rob to prove that the majority of POWs did survive, it would be equally impossble to prove that the majority didn't survive.

Christian

snookie

Post by snookie » 02 May 2006, 21:00

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote: If it should be impossble for Rob to prove that the majority of POWs did survive, it would be equally impossble to prove that the majority didn't survive.

Christian
Listen Christian, I know Rob is on your little "approved" poster list around here (and I am not) but do not try to insult our intelligence here with this BS...that he cannot prove his claims and (you say) I cannot prove mine, therefore he is off the hook.

What crap!

You are supposed to source your posts around here and his statement WAS NOT and COULD NEVER be sourced as opposed to my post which listed three sources of allied troops killing POW's...3 of many I could give. In the Bando book on the 2nd armored division "Breakout" I believe there are approx 20 instances of crimes committed by those troops.

Therefore I can prove (with sources) that it did happen often...often = many did not make it to the collection pens.

Proven, case closed.

Rob also states that the American's saved Meyer (in his little Hidey-hole) from the Belgians and he wants them to be applauded for that. I'll source the the Comedian Chris Rock in one of his shows he was stating how he hears Blacks stating "well I take care of my kids"...like they deserve a prize for doing what is right. The same goes for Rob's allied troops saving Meyer...Rob my man, that is what they are supposed to do!

Killing or kicking the crap over a surrendered enemy is wrong no matter what army you fight for.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 May 2006, 21:06

Everyone, get back on topic and keep a civilized tone.
The topic here is that particular photo and the Waffen-SS soldier pictured, not war crimes in general, crimes of the Waffen-SS or the Allies nor anything else.

/Marcus
Last edited by Marcus on 02 May 2006, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 May 2006, 21:08

A post continuing off topic was removed.

/Marcus

Jarkko Hietala

Post by Jarkko Hietala » 02 May 2006, 21:11

Soldier on that picture could have wounded in combat or while he was taken to prisoner. It is not sure did he try to surrender or was he forced to surrender by knocking him out with rifle end.

War is mutual violence and cruelty surely both side commit lots of things that hit on grey zone in the laws of war.

snookie

Post by snookie » 02 May 2006, 21:16

Jarkko Hietala wrote:Soldier on that picture could have wounded in combat or while he was taken to prisoner. It is not sure did he try to surrender or was he forced to surrender by knocking him out with rifle end.
I believe the only approved answers here would be (a) we do not know what happened, or (b) we do not know what happened but it certainly wasn't that smiling Canadian that broke his face.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 May 2006, 21:18

snookie,

If you don't have anything of value to add to the topic of the thread, don't post. That kind of posts do nothing to improve the discussion.

/Marcus

snookie

Post by snookie » 02 May 2006, 21:34

Marcus Wendel wrote:snookie,

If you don't have anything of value to add to the topic of the thread, don't post. That kind of posts do nothing to improve the discussion.

/Marcus
When I do add something...like clarity, like sources...you delete.
Odd how some of the off-topic, un-sourced items stay...hhhhhmmmm
How about if you just tell me what to write to avoid all that nasty deleting?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 May 2006, 21:35

I've removed only one post in this thread and that was because it was going further off topic, but I think you wrote it before you read my above post about returning on track.

/Marcus

Kurz Patrone

Post by Kurz Patrone » 03 May 2006, 01:18

Tha fact remains to me that the soldier was clearly beating up by his
captors,and they are pretty happy about it, you wont convince me other wise,
i just want to know what specific unit was he from and in what battle
was he taken prisioner.

Rajin Cajun

Post by Rajin Cajun » 03 May 2006, 04:22

Well I think its a little beyond obvious the man was beaten because of the swelling. Allied war crimes deniers love to say its shrapnel, bullets, etc. when if it was his face would be a gaping hole not sticking out two feet.

Jarkko Hietala

Post by Jarkko Hietala » 03 May 2006, 21:03

Hitler Jugends was dangerous and fanatical troops that have teach to accept as true 100% to Hitler, Hitler Jugends also committed war crimes and other type of cruelty while fighting. They suffered more casualties than majority of other German units because of their fanatical and reckless type of fighting. Most of them died because they wanted to die for Hitler and his cause.

So if they was not very dear troops among allied that makes sense.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”