actual Red Army order?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
coldam
In memoriam

actual Red Army order?

Post by coldam » 30 Oct 2002, 02:21

As a young person after WW2
I often heard,
usually from
ex-soldiers of the Wehrmacht,
that
when the first Units of the Red Army crossed into
Prussia
they actually received an army order
to rape:

'..brecht den Stolz der deutschen Frauen...'
- break the pride of the German women .

I found similar quotes attributed to I. Ehrenburg
on several 'neo-german' websites...

Could this be true?
or was it perhaps put in circulation by Goebbels ?

who knows more?

Oleg?

thanks,

...peter

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 30 Oct 2002, 03:27

the only orders I saw were quite the opposite ( http://www.iremember.ru/artillerymen/shutc/shutc.html )
as for Ereneburg you can find his articles on the net http://www.thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=9595 - this one for example. as far as I know the most horrific cries were actually put in his mouth by German propoganda.
Journalist, novelist, poet - Ilya Ehrenburg (1891-1967) was one of the most important Russian cultural figures of the twentieth century. A political exile from czarist Russia, he spent years in Paris as a bohemian poet and later became Izvestia correspondent in Western Europe. He was one of the few distinguished Soviet writers to survive Stalin. Ehrenburg's novel The Thaw lent its name to the critical period following Stalin's death. His memoirs People, Years, Life outraged the Kremlin in the sixties for describing a conspiracy of silence that had prevailed under the dictator. In this groundbreaking biography, Joshua Rubenstein tells the story of one of Russia's most controversial and enigmatic figures.
Ehrenburg was a young Bolshevik who turned anti-Communist, then two decades later became a spokesman for Stalin. He was an assimilated Jew who fought anti-Semitism, and a Russian patriot who was both mistrusted by orthodox Communists and denounced by Hitler as his main enemy. As a Jew, he was said to have betrayed his people; as a writer, his talent; as a man, his conscience.

Yet Ehrenburg retained a measure of personal integrity. He helped other writers, including Anna Akhmatova, Osip Mandelstam, and Boris Pasternak. He battled censorship and championed European art in Moscow. His circle of friends included Pablo Picasso, Amedeo Modigliani, Diego Rivera, Ernest Hemingway, Isaac Babel, and Andre Malraux.

Starinov

Re: actual Red Army order?

Post by Starinov » 30 Oct 2002, 15:34

coldam wrote:'..brecht den Stolz der deutschen Frauen...'
- break the pride of the German women .

I found similar quotes attributed to I. Ehrenburg
on several 'neo-german' websites...
I saw that kind of quotes several times but as far as I know only Ilya Ehrenburg said that.... Many authors used this sentence as if it was a official order.

coldam
In memoriam

Post by coldam » 30 Oct 2002, 22:33

As a Russian AND a Jew

Ilya Ehrenburg literally had millions of valid reasons to
absolutely hate Germans.

But:
1) did he write that sentence?
2) was it an 'Army Order' ?

...peter

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”