German researches in war crimes during WW2 on German soil

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Sergey
Banned

German researches in war crimes during WW2 on German soil

Post by Sergey » 05 May 2006 20:55

Who are leading German historians that investigate war crimes in Germany?

What are their opinions, estimates, conclusions?

There were many refugees in Germany. They could be questioned about alleged war crims in 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and so on. Has it been done?

I understand that in DDR it was unlikely had been done until 1989. But after the unification of Germany it was possible. Have historians used this opportunity?

Thanks!

nickterry

Re: German researches in war crimes during WW2 on German soi

Post by nickterry » 05 May 2006 21:29

Sergey wrote:Who are leading German historians that investigate war crimes in Germany?

There were many refugees in Germany. They could be questioned about alleged war crims in 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and so on. Has it been done?

I understand that in DDR it was unlikely had been done until 1989. But after the unification of Germany it was possible. Have historians used this opportunity?

Thanks!
war crimes committed by who against which groups? There are many many historians one could name, covering all different kinds of war crimes on German soil.

Sergey
Banned

Re: German researches in war crimes during WW2 on German soi

Post by Sergey » 05 May 2006 21:33

nickterry wrote:
Sergey wrote:Who are leading German historians that investigate war crimes in Germany?

Thanks!
war crimes committed by who against which groups? There are many many historians one could name, covering all different kinds of war crimes on German soil.
I mean war crimes against German civil population (ethnically German) committed by foreign troops. More specifically by Soviet troops.
Last edited by Sergey on 06 May 2006 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 05 May 2006 21:34

I guess my namesake means the crimes against the German population (perhaps particularly the Soviet ones).

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 05 May 2006 21:34

Oops.

:wink:

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 May 2006 23:46

Sergey -- Prof. Franz Seidler and Alfred de Zayas have done a fair amount of research into the subject. They have at least one published work: Kriegsverbrechen in Europa und im Nahen Osten im 20. Jahrhundert.

Sergey
Banned

Post by Sergey » 06 May 2006 05:36

David Thompson wrote:Sergey -- Prof. Franz Seidler and Alfred de Zayas have done a fair amount of research into the subject. They have at least one published work: Kriegsverbrechen in Europa und im Nahen Osten im 20. Jahrhundert.
Mr.Thompson!

It would like to encourage our friends to be more specific and shed light on other questions that I held. I don't think that respected professors are the only reseachers on the subject in Germany. Moreover, I suppose that there is a lot of publications in German newspapers (available on the WEB) with detailed summary of the investigations and relible statistics. Is my supposition true? Has anybody seen such publications in the leading German newspapers? (also in British or American ones). I repeat I mean namely German reseaches.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 06 May 2006 06:54

Sergey -- You wrote:
It would like to encourage our friends to be more specific and shed light on other questions that I held. I don't think that respected professors are the only reseachers on the subject in Germany.
What are you talking about?

You also wrote:
Moreover, I suppose that there is a lot of publications in German newspapers (available on the WEB) with detailed summary of the investigations and relible statistics. Is my supposition true? Has anybody seen such publications in the leading German newspapers? (also in British or American ones). I repeat I mean namely German reseaches.
You might find detailed summaries of investigations and reliable statistics in scholarly journals or books. I doubt that you'd find much more than a book review, if that, in newspapers.

Sergey
Banned

Post by Sergey » 06 May 2006 08:05

David Thompson wrote:Sergey -- You wrote:
It would like to encourage our friends to be more specific and shed light on other questions that I held. I don't think that respected professors are the only reseachers on the subject in Germany.
What are you talking about?
Dear mr.Tompson!

I'm not a native English-speaker so let me know if my initial post on this thread is unclear. I repeat (and it is only one point): after the unification of Germany professional historians had got an excellent opportunity to question inhabitants of villages and small towns in the former DDR that wittnessed Soviet occupation. Has it been done in 1989 or later? If not then why? If yes then what are the results? Maybe you don't know the answers but I hope that at least you understand their meaning pretty well.

By the way my Mother-in-law lived in a big Ukrainian village and was a girl during German occupation. She is not aware about even one war crime committed by German or Italian soldiers. However, Kalmyks that wore German military uniform raped dozens of Ukrainian lassies. Place, time and number could be easily established even now.

I ask about similar investigations performed by German historians.
David Thompson wrote:You might find detailed summaries of investigations and reliable statistics in scholarly journals or books. I doubt that you'd find much more than a book review, if that, in newspapers.
It is a bit strange. By contrast other war-crimes were depicted in newspapers, in the most reliable news-sources (on the BBC for example).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/64344.stm

I would not like to discuss this particular case in Vietnam. Simply I demonstrated that publications in the main-stream mass-media about war crimes is not something special.

Anyway, thank you for attention. I understand you answer as you are unaware about even one publications in respected German newspapers about war crimes committed by Soviet troops on the German soil.

Regards!

Sergey
Banned

Post by Sergey » 06 May 2006 08:39

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 06 May 2006 08:42

Oh damn , that is Knopp ! You can't take him serios , he would sell his grandma to "produce" new "sensations" concerning WW2 .

He is well known for his "style" of investigation here in Germany .

Jan-Hendrik

Sergey
Banned

Post by Sergey » 06 May 2006 08:57

http://www.bpb.de/themen/6QLFUQ,2,0,Kol ... andel.html
From February to December 1946 organized evacuations took place in arrangement with the allied ones. About 1.5 million humans came into the British and - until November 1947 - 1.84 million into the Soviet zone. Altogether nearly 3.5 million Germans left the old east areas in this time.[ 19 ] Still to 1950 isolate transportation with women, children and old persons from East Prussia came, where above all young women for the Soviets had had to carry hard labour out, or from Polish internment camps such as Jaworzno and Potulice, in which member of the German minority for the hard labour had been consulted. The Germans, which remained after 1950 in Poland, "were polonisiert": They had to accept Polish names and explain themselves as Poland.
I recognize that German women worked in the camps for displaced persons (they had to work). But take into acoount that Soviet Union simply hadn't resourced to feed millions of Germans while own population suffered from a lack of food. My parents remember that time.

The Germans worked of cattle farms for example to feed themselves. Do you think that another decision was possible?

Sergey
Banned

Post by Sergey » 06 May 2006 09:00

Jan-Hendrik wrote:Oh damn , that is Knopp ! You can't take him serios , he would sell his grandma to "produce" new "sensations" concerning WW2 .

He is well known for his "style" of investigation here in Germany .

Jan-Hendrik
At least we agree that there are different accounts. Lackily Nemmersdorf is not the only German village so if suppositions of Göbbels propaganda were true then there was a lot of other examples, other villages with the same fate.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 06 May 2006 09:01

Sorry , but I don't understand your question really...

Do you ask if if it was neccessary to force civilists into Gluag-like camps ?

Jan-Hendrik

EDIT : If you really suppose that it was just Goebbels-Propaganda just get & read this :
Dokumentation der Vertreibung der Deutschen aus Ost-Mitteleuropa
Gesamtausgabe in 8 Bänden

ISBN 3-423-59072-2
http://www.dtv.de/_images/cover640/59072.jpg

which was punlished by the Bundesministerium and contains many , many reports from the archives !

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”