Ex-Nazi removed from Space Hall of Fame

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Von Schadewald

Ex-Nazi removed from Space Hall of Fame

Post by Von Schadewald » 18 May 2006, 23:15

Hubertus Strughold's name deleted for having experimented on humans
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/717572.html

zeitgeist1

Post by zeitgeist1 » 05 Jun 2006, 10:12

Absolutely ridiculous, then again the ADL is the one that suggested it and that isn't surprising.

spirit.of.sacrifice

Post by spirit.of.sacrifice » 05 Jun 2006, 12:24

absolutely ridiculous indeed..

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 05 Jun 2006, 14:45

A humble two cents here, and by no means do I wish to sound callous, apologetic etc. If it does, I apologise from the outset, as it is not my intention. I hope this post is not so opinionated as to warrant a reprimand for it.

I have never heard of this gentleman before but I too, as with the previous respondents, became a little angered by this move. Okay, his name has been "linked" to human experimentation, and if something more had been able to become substantiated, then he should have been tried along with the other scientists and not brought over to the US and employed in the space program. This truly is a bad case of jumping the gun, especially in the light of this assertion by Susan Seligman:
she said she did not know of him personally conducting experiments.
The degree, if any, of his involvement has not, as much as can be ascertained from the above quote, not been investigated.

Why have Brooks Air Force Base and Ohio State University, and now, this latest organisation, the New Mexico Museum of Space History bent over to the demands of a lobby group (no matter which group, ethnicity, religion or agenda any said organisation is promoting) with no investigation launched into the allegations of the alleged "links" to human experimentation. Talk about prejudging...

I can understand a particular lobby group's agenda to promote their cause, I have no problem with that, I don't think anyone else here would either, but such esteemed organisations as those listed above, who not only brought Hubertus Strughold over to the US, but saw its space program probably to a lesser or greater extent benefit from his contributions and to be repaid like this, over a "linked" clause, even though there was the above quoted admission by Seligman, truly is preposterous, but also a sad indictment on those organisations who would bend over willy-nilly to politically correct dictates, without aforethought or investigation, and without any reflection on the said person's contribution to possibly the greatest scientific endeavour launched by humanity.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Jun 2006, 20:36

Wikipedia article on Dr. Strughold, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubertus_Strughold :
Dr. Hubertus Strughold (1898-1987) was born in Westphalia, Germany. He was educated at Göttingen and received a doctorate in 1922. He is the author of over 180 papers in the field of space medicine. For this reason, he has been called "The father of U.S. space medicine". Strughold was brought to the United States at the end of World War II as part of Operation Paperclip and subsequently played an important role in developing the pressure suit worn by early American astronauts.

In 1949 Strughold was made director of the Department of Space Medicine at the School of Aviation Medicine at Randolph Air Force Base in Texas (now the School of Aerospace Medicine at Brooks Air Force Base). Randolph’s aeromedical library was named after him in 1977, but later renamed because documents from the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal linked Strughold to medical experiments in which inmates from Dachau concentration camp were tortured and killed. As the head of Nazi Germany's Air Force Institute for Aviation Medicine, Strughold participated in a 1942 conference that discussed "experiments" on human beings carried out by the institute. The experiments included subjecting Dachau inmates to torture and death by being immersed in water, placed in air pressure chambers, forced to drink sea water and exposed to freezing temperatures. Strughold had denied approving the experiments and said he learned of them only after World War II.

In May 2006 Dr. Strughold's name was removed from the International Space Hall of Fame by unanimous vote of the New Mexico Museum of Space History's board.[1] Strughold's name was also removed from Brooks Air Force Base's aeromedical library in 1995 and his picture was removed from the mural "The World History of Medicine" at Ohio State University in 1993.
Best wishes,
~ Mike
Attachments
Strughold2.jpg
From www.daviddarling.info/ images/Strughold.jpg
Strughold2.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Strughold1.jpg
From www.schwarzsilber.de/ apix/strughold1.jpg
Strughold1.jpg (7.42 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 28 Jun 2006, 12:10

Looks like a bad nazi in the upper pic.....and more lika a Joda in the second.

How many of the PAPERCLIP dudes were known nazis with a "criminal record" ?

snookie

Post by snookie » 28 Jun 2006, 16:38

He looks like a Luftwaffe doctor in the top picture...nothing else.
Do you have super-powers that include x-ray visor to see his NSDAP membership card and to see evil deeds on his heart?

Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 28 Jun 2006, 20:26

snookie --Keep personal comments about other posters out of our discussions.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 29 Jun 2006, 13:13

snookie wrote:He looks like a Luftwaffe doctor in the top picture...nothing else.
Do you have super-powers that include x-ray visor to see his NSDAP membership card and to see evil deeds on his heart?

Innocent until PROVEN guilty.
I was referring to the typical evil nazi of the post war film industry....nothing more. He is probably clean as a whistle as most of the nazis.

FB

Post by FB » 29 Jun 2006, 14:04

Just out of curiosity and premitting that I don't know the specific case. I have always wondered how the moral istances that indeed stays behind the deletion of Mr. Strughold's name from the Space Hall of Fame behave in front of the results of his, and others, researches. If he really did such human experiments or not it's immaterial with regards of my questions.

What I wonder is if the results of that human researches, carried on by Nazi scientists, have been used, and how, and by whom. Are we, perhaps, enjoying (a bad word here, I know and I apologize for its use, but my limited knwledge of the English language lacks a better term) the results of those orrendous experiments? And, if so, are the results of an orrendous crime orrendous themselves, or not? If we can be condemned for using, even without knowing it, money coming from illecit businesses, shouldn't the results of those crimes be treated just the same?

Best regards

Daniel Laurent

Post by Daniel Laurent » 30 Jun 2006, 08:26

Hi, everybody,

If this Doctor was "linked" to experiments on human beings, what about Werner von Braun who couldn't ignore HOW his V1 and V2 were manufactured at Peenemunde and later in the Dora killing machine ?

Have a look THERE

IMHO, it was absolutely normal to use those scientists after WW2, and we had few in France, well the one we could afford :lol:

But to honor them looks to me scandalous.
Those scientists were at high level in the Nazi hierarchy and their importance increased with the military difficulties of the IIIrd Reich. Remember that Hitler was dreaming of and Goebells talking about the "secret weapons". At that level, none of them could ignore that all their experiments, trials ans production was done by slave labour dying of mistreatment and starvation.

Regards
Daniel

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 30 Jun 2006, 10:05

I think all this is a matter of whom we are talking about.
Werner v. Braun is mentioned The USA is in some ways
very twice edged in their way of whom should be expelled
from their country or as in this matter removed from "hall of fame"
Werner von Braun and many of his staff was after the war established
in the USA to help them with their rocket program, and
today you have a lot of roads and other public places named after him
what they hae forgotten is that Werner von Braun was a member of the SS
his rank was SS-Sturmbannführer, his program with V1 and V2 hadn´t been
possible if they hadn´t all the workers from different Concentration Camps
such Buchenwald, Dora, Neuengamme and others as well.

Others who just have been guards at KL´s or just have been members of the
SS have been removed from the USA after the war. One of those was
Conrad Schellong, Ok he was a guard at Dachau during the mid 30´s
but during that time the regime wasn´t that hard as it was during the war years.

Amazing!

//Georg

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 03 Jul 2006, 21:18

One of those was Conrad Schellong, Ok he was a guard at Dachau during the mid 30´s
but during that time the regime wasn´t that hard as it was during the war years.
Schellong was not a mere guard at Dachau. He was a commander of guards. And the brutality inflicted on inmates during his assignment to the camp (1936 - '39) was considerable. Schellong lied on his visa application, stating he had never been assigned to any concentration camp. See http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/1986/sg860153.txt .

~ Mike

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”