Tunnel Hill POW Camp in Rabaul New Britain

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
GMUHistory

Tunnel Hill POW Camp in Rabaul New Britain

Post by GMUHistory » 04 Aug 2006, 00:19

Does any one have a source that provides the names of the leadership of the Tunnel Hill POW Camp in Rabaul? I've found very fragmentary information that seems to indicate that the camp was run by the 6th Kampei Tei and the 81st Naval Guard unit but I can't find anything on the leaders of those units. They also seem to indicate there was a seperate camp run by the 6th Kampei Tei HQ apart from the Tunnel Hill POW Camp.

The reason I ask here is that I'm also trying to find if anyone from the leadership of the Tunnel Hill POW camp or the 81st Naval Guard unit was charged with a war crime after the war. I believe the answer is yes, due to the "Tunnel Hill incident" in March 1944, if I recall correctly, but I have been unable to confirm that.

Does anybody have any source information on this? Thanks a lot for any help.

robinamcleam

Re: Tunnel Hill POW Camp in Rabaul New Britain

Post by robinamcleam » 15 Nov 2018, 01:44

hello GMUHistory,

I realise this is a very old post but I just found it and am contacting you on the off chance you ever received or otherwise obtained an answer to your question re the names of IJA and/or kempeitai leaders and staff at the Tunnel Hill camp Rabaul or any other POW camp in the Rabaul area.

I am also researching IJA members who may have appeared before the War Crimes Tribunal in Rabaul from 1945 to 1947. Particular a Major Hayashi, Tsunio and a Sgt Maj Tsuchida.

Just in case you or someone else reads this and can help.

Rob

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”