The Armia Krajowa (Home Army) in Lithuania

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Hauptmann Kloss

Re: The Armia Krajowa (Home Army) in Lithuania

Post by Hauptmann Kloss » 29 Jul 2008, 20:10

3mk wrote:Of coarse the AK killed Lithuanians only there communist army!And with the AK was collabrating with the nazis why at the end of the war 1944-5 the nazis started killing each one that was captured?
Take it easy... You make no sense in English.

Twoj post jest niezrozumialy po Angielsku. Przygotuj sobie argumenty i popros znajomego o pomoc w tlumaczeniu.

henryk

Post by henryk » 16 Nov 2008, 22:00

To avoid an out of topic response in another thread, I respond to RCW in this thread where the original information was posted.
In the other forum:
Henryk said:
There are a number of threads on the Forum which use German, Russian, Austrian, and Polish census data to prove that, almost with no exception, all areas of interwar Poland had a majority Polish population.
RCW Mark said:
I'm not fighting on this again Henryk. You know very well that I dispute your "proof". Mainly because what you cite are not censuses. Stop calling plebescites and those other counts censuses and I might be prepared to discuss. Better yet, come to grip with the idea that Ukraine was full of Ukrainians and Lithuania was full of Lithuanians. It's not that hard.
I use the word "census" as the sources I quoted used "census".
http://www.answers.com/topic/russian-empire-census
Russian Empire Census of 1897 was the first and the only census carried out in Imperial Russia. It recorded demographic data as of 28 January [O.S. 15 January] 1897.
The questionary contained the following questions:
Family name, given name, patronymic or nickname (прозвище)
Relation with respect to the head of the family or household
Social status: sosloviye (estate of the realm), rank or title (сословие, состояние, звание)
Place of birth
Place of registration
Usual place of residence
Notice of absence
Faith
Mother language
Literacy
Occupation (profession, trade, position of office or service), both primary and secondary
In census summary tables, nationality was based on the declared mother language of respondents.
The second Russian Census was scheduled for 1915, but was cancelled because of the World War I.
Census results
The results of the census are too broad to publish, but its online Russian version can be found here: demoscope.ru.
The census data in Russian: http://demoscope.ru/weekly/ssp/rus_lan_97.php?reg=0
Another source of "census" data on the Wilno/Vilnius area:
http://tripatlas.com/Ethnic%20history%2 ... %20Vilnius
ETHNIC HISTORY OF THE REGION OF VILNIUS
The following is a list of all of the censuses taken in the city of Vilnius/Vilna/Wilno/Wilna since 1897. The list is incomplete and the data at times is only fragmentary.
Censuses
Russian census of 1897
1916 German census
1921 Polish census
Polish census of 1931
Lithuanian census of 1939
German-Lithuanian census of 1942
Soviet census of 1959
Soviet census of January 1989
Lithuanian census of 2001
1916 German census

As a result of World War I, almost all of the territory encompassing the present borders of modern Lithuania and Poland were occupied by the German Army. On March 9, 1916, the German military authorities organised a census to determine the ethnic composition of their newly-conquered territories. This census is currently the only census organised before 1991 that is accepted by both Polish and Lithuanian historians. However, many Belarusian historians note that the Belarusian minority is not noted among the inhabitants of the city.
A similar census was organised for all of the territory of German-occupied Lithuania and the northern border of the territory was more or less correspondent to that of present-day Lithuania, however it's southern border was expanded greatly and ended near Brest-Litovsk, and included the city of Białystok (see Southern Lithuania).
For Eastern Galicia (including Lwow/Lviv)
http://feefhs.org/links/galicia/shea.html
At an 1853 conference in Brussels of the International Statistical Congress, attendees debated the introduction of decennial censuses in each of the participating nations, which would be based on identical principles. The uniformity was sought by the statisticians in order to facilitate country-to- country comparisons and date sharing. Identical forms and model instructions were proposed, and it was decided that the censuses should take into account the entire population of each nation.

The uniformity proposed by the conference committees never became a reality, but the issue of conducting censuses was, at the very least, brought to the consciousness of the governments of the participants.

The Hapsburg Monarchy decided to incorporate some of these recommendations in an 1857 census which fell far short of expectations. Only in 1869 did the manner and form of the census begin to comply with the conference recommendations. As such, 1869 is considered to be the year that a new era of census-taking began in the Austro-Hungarian empire. The 1869 census was the first "name" census, where individual names and surnames of inhabitants were recorded.

In the censuses taken in 1869, 1880, 1890, 1900 and 1910 the actual census form contained nearly identical categories and columns for responses. The only distinctions were the graphic layout of the form and minor details in the instructions. The only exception to the uniformity of the returns was that the 1890 census added two questions on housing.

marekv

Post by marekv » 28 Apr 2009, 17:55

As a polish lithuanian I would like to remind that lithuanian SS were fighting in Warsaw against Jewish in the getto upraisal as well as Lithuanian partizans have killed a lot of poles. I personally know many peoples whose relatives were killed by lithuanian. As well as lithuanians have intensively collaborated with germans in killing polish citizens of jewish origin. 500 hundreds lithuanian it is nothing if compared with the victims of lithuanians cooperating with germans

henryk

Post by henryk » 09 Jun 2009, 19:42

Further recent evidence on the number of ethnic Poles in the Wilno/Vilnius area. This is despite the massive deportations when the USSR controlled Lithuania.
http://www.polskieradio.pl/thenews/inte ... html[quote] Poles succeed in Lithuania
08.06.2009 15:01

In yesterday’s European Parliament elections in Lithuania, Poles managed to get enough votes to secure a representative for European Parliament.

The Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania (EAPL) gathered 8,46 percent of votes and won victory in four districts: Vilnius (71 percent of votes), Salcininkai (80,6 percent), Trakai (31,38 percent), Svencionys (22,42 percent).

Waldemar Tomaszewski, the head of the EAPL, will be the first Pole in Lithuanian history to become a member of European Parliament.

“It is a superb result!” commented Tomaszewski, who admitted that the party owes a part of its success to a low voter turnout.

“While in the EP I’m going to focus on three main issues: energy, human rights, including the rights of minorities, and ideology, i.e. spreading Christian values,” added the politician, describing his political program. (mg/mmj)
[/quote]

Arnold Berger

Post by Arnold Berger » 22 Jun 2009, 19:29

marekv wrote:As a polish lithuanian I would like to remind that lithuanian SS ...
As a polish lithuanian you must know , Lithuania had'nt SS legions during WW II !!!

Greenwood

Post by Greenwood » 19 Aug 2009, 18:09

Hey everyone im new here :D
I have been reading through most of these replies. For thoose who didn't know there was 3 political systems coliding in Poland among poles in 1918-1945.

1. Nationalistic one (Present Poland)
2. Federational (Rzeczpospolita obojga narodow)
3. Con-Federational (Miedzymorze)

When Poles specially in Vilnius (Wilno) I think they mean as they felt or feel it as Polish they mean it in a sense of historically&politically Polish. not etnichly speaking. The idea of a state that was in central-eastern europe build of many nationalities, once in a time it was called the republic (rzeczpospolita) wich many calls commonwealth from some reason to make it more british idk. It was divided into the Korona meaning crown and ksiestwo meaning duchy. At thoose times one could feel he was Polish, coming from the duchy but didn't feel he was from the Crown. Such people still excist today (Lithuanian poles), most of thoose who were for that idea of a huge state with many nationalities helping each other under the Polish leadership was Federational.

Confederational Poland-Lithuania-Belarus-Ukraine was based on Pilsudskis miedzymorze where everyone had the same amry, but different laws, economy, coins etc. (Stand togehter against outside, have their own inside)
Nationalistic is ofcourse that Poland is like it was in 996 or under Boleslaw Chrobry ofcourse wich is today.

henryk

Post by henryk » 19 Aug 2009, 20:36

Greenwood wrote: When Poles specially in Vilnius (Wilno) I think they mean as they felt or feel it as Polish they mean it in a sense of historically&politically Polish. not etnichly speaking. The idea of a state that was in central-eastern europe build of many nationalities, once in a time it was called the republic (rzeczpospolita) wich many calls commonwealth from some reason to make it more british idk. It was divided into the Korona meaning crown and ksiestwo meaning duchy. At thoose times one could feel he was Polish, coming from the duchy but didn't feel he was from the Crown. Such people still excist today (Lithuanian poles), most of thoose who were for that idea of a huge state with many nationalities helping each other under the Polish leadership was Federational.
I hope this message is not off topic. People in Lithuania that called themselves Poles fall into two categories; Polonized Lithanians and ethnic Poles. In particular most of the Lithuanian nobles/gentry fall into the first category. I do not know the numerical distribution between the categories. Perhaps a clue is the character of the surname, assuming there was no Polonization of the surname.
G E N D O B R Y ! * * *Volume X, No. 1 -- 31 January 2009
In this issue there is an article on Polish surnames in Lithuania. I provide an excerpt.
BIRTHS FROM WILNO? KOWNO? GRODNO? **by Paul S. Valasek <[email protected]>
A number of years ago, a bookseller in Lithuania asked if I was interested in a book he had rescued from the garbage, a book that listed names, Polish names. I said certainly and we struck an agreement. Upon receiving the book, I was truly amazed at what was inside: I'm guessing approximately 12,000+ names of Poles starting in 1921 and ending in 1939. Well, the years make sense, as in 1921, the Polish parts of Lithuania were once again on the map. And of course, 1939 begins World War II, which once again took Poland off the map.

Below I am listing names for letters "P" and "R" for year 1922, and hope to make a match establishing where these persons were born. There are too many annual listings (883 for 1922) for a small town or city; the book probably originated in a larger city. Thus I felt Wilno/ Vilnius or Kowno/ Kaunas were in order. I didn't think of Grodno, but again, any large city in that area would make sense.
Pacewiczowna, Wiktorja Kunegunda Pacynowna, Marja Paszkiewicz, Mieczyslaw
Paszkiewiczowna, Helena Paszkowska, Jadwiga Paukielowna, Irena
Pawilonis, Czeslaw Mieczyslaw Pawlowicz, Henryk Pawlowska, Antonina
Pawlowska, Janina Pawlowski, Waldemar Pawlukiewiczowna, Jadwiga Pawtal, Franciszek
Piekarska, Marjanna Piekarski, Jan Pieszko, Wladyslaw Pietkiewicz, Wladyslaw
Pietkunowna, Anna Pietrowski, Czeslaw Pietrowski, Jan Pietrowski, Jozef
Pietrusewiczowna, Jozefa Pietruszewiczowna, Jadwiga Pilecka, Jadwiga
Pilecki, Henryk Piotrowska, Jadwiga Piotrowska, Janina Piotrowski, Czeslaw
Piotrowski, Jan Piotrowski, Marjan Pisarewiczowna, Zofja Piszczakowna, Janina
Piwowarczykowna, Jadwiga Plachta, Edward Plawgo, Stefanja Pluc, Henryk
Poczepkowna, Janina Podlecka, Genowefa Podlecka, Stanislawa Podlipajew, Irena
Pogorzelski, Henryk Polonis, Kazimierz Polujanski, Stanislaw Popenigisowna, Stanislawa
Potapowicz, Stefan Potecka, Genowefa Pozlewicz, Tadeusz Pozniak, Jozef
Prak, Feliks Pronaszko, Boleslaw Propkopowicz, Boleslaw Przygodzka, Genowefa
Puczkowna, Walerja Putrowna, Regina Racionowski, Witold Raczycka, Jadwiga
Raczycka, Regina Raczycki, Stanislaw Radziszewski, Ryszard Feliks Rakint, Wiktor
Ratynski, Zdzislaw Jozef Riekin, Stanislaw Rodziewicz, Andrzej Rodzkowna, Halina
Rogacewiczowna, Wanda Rogowicz, Mieczyslaw Rogowski, Jan Tadeusz Rojewski, Kazimierz
Romanis, Henryk Romanowska, Jadwiga Romanowska, Janina Romaszkiewicz, Aleksander
Romulewicz, Jan Ronfeldowna, Jadwiga Rozanski, Walerjan Rozewska, StanislawaRudzinska, Aleksandra Rudzinska, Halina Rudzinski, Mieczyslaw Rusakiewiczowna, Irena
Rusanowiczowna, Helena Rusiecka , Irena Jadwiga Rutkiewiczowna, Marja Rutulowna, Matylda
Rybakowna, Janina Rybarska, Zofja Rynkiewicz, Stefan Rynkiewiczowna, Irena
Rynkiewiczowna, Jozefa Rynkiewiczowna, Stanislawa Rys, Wladyslaw

kept

Post by kept » 16 Sep 2009, 12:19

I wrote my opinion about the poles and lithuaninas in Lithuania before WW2 here so I won't repeat it.

Talking about surnames that You, henryk, mentioned, Polonis is one of the families I'm from. Maybe there is something more about it in that book? Cause my grandfather, with this surname, was a member of AK but his name was not Henryk. Place: North-West/West region of Wilno district.

And what about letter "SZ"? Thanks.

henryk

Post by henryk » 24 Sep 2009, 18:23

kept wrote:I wrote my opinion about the poles and lithuaninas in Lithuania before WW2 here so I won't repeat it.
Talking about surnames that You, henryk, mentioned, Polonis is one of the families I'm from. Maybe there is something more about it in that book? Cause my grandfather, with this surname, was a member of AK but his name was not Henryk. Place: North-West/West region of Wilno district.
And what about letter "SZ"? Thanks.
The two best sites on locations of Polish surnames in Poland are:
http://www.herby.com.pl/indexslo.html
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/polonis.html
Neither give Polonisz.
The latter site gives geographical location by county based on the 2002 census. Results:
1.**Szczecin (67); 2.Węgorzewo (54); 3.**Gdańsk (40); 4.Mrągowo (32); 5.Szczytno (25); 6.88 city Słupsk (17); 7.**Świdnica (17); 8.Zgorzelec (15); 9.Giżycko (12); 10.**Gdynia (11).
Most are in northeast Poland, near Lithuania, or in the new territories where Poles were resettled after WWII (shown by **).
The best known expert on Polish Surnames is Fred Hoffman. He is good at answering questions.
His site: http://www.fredhoff.com/
An interview with him:
http://pastprologue.wordpress.com/2008/ ... ish-names/
For more information on names in the book, contact the author of the article, Paul S. Valasek.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”