The Mascot

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Po'brian

Re: The Mascot

Post by Po'brian » 18 Jan 2024 07:21

Biber wrote:
07 Oct 2022 16:42
A Jewish orphan, son of pig farmers? Really?
This was the story that Jekabs Kulis, the Latvian sergeant, created for him to obscure his true identity. It is not known whether or not the battalion's leader, Karlis Lobe, or later his adopter, Jekabs Dzenis, knew of his Jewish identity- though it is strongly hinted that they did or at least suspected it. Whatever the case, the Latvian's accepted this account. Bearing in mind that he migrated to Australia with the Latvians (the Dzenis family were his only family at the time) and remained a part of their Australian community for quite some time, it is not surprising that he chose not to deviate from this background story that he was the orphan of pig farmers, for this might have alienated him from his adoptive family and the wider Latvian community- indeed it did do after he eventually went public with his story.

People can continue to harbour their doubts, but as it stands the facts supported by comprehensive DNA analysis are: Kurzem was a Jew; he was from Koidanov; he was a holocaust survivor; and he has living family connections in Canada. The facts vindicate Kurzem's story. From what I can gather from reading one of the old articles, it seems his main reason for refusing the DNA samples initially was because he was upset at the way a) certain individuals from the local Jewish community (from the Holocaust centre) rejected his account upfront, and b) Fitzpatrick and Resnick pressed him for DNA in such a tone that said 'we think you are a liar, so give us DNA to prove otherwise'. Consider also that as a result, a variety of media sources also started putting out articles doubting his story. I'm not saying it's wrong to ask people for evidence, but the way in which you approach it is important, so I can understand why he might've been irked by their tactless and accusatory tone; this explains why he wouldn't readily cooperate with the requests initially.

Let's also remember, he was a small child at the time all these events took place. Albeit traumatic and etched into your memory, it is unlikely that someone can recall every minute detail (what I'm specifically referring to here are exact dates and timelines, the weather etc.) so many years later with perfect veracity. For example, Kurzem says that the Jews were executed over 2 days whereas Maisel (the Holocaust centre interviewer) said it was 1 (or it could be the other way around, but my point remains): when the Jews knew (or anticipated) the day before that they would be shot the next day, is this why Kurzem said 2 days, or did he hear gunshots the following morning/day which led him to believe killings were still ongoing, or did he simply not remember the exact details accurately? These things are easy to mix up or articulate incoherently, which leads to people forming the wrong conclusions. But I digress.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”