ONLY 3 MILLION JEWS IN EUROPE BEFORE THE WAR?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Marcus

Post by Marcus » 06 Jan 2003, 19:34

cybercat wrote:
billy beard wrote:why does it matter exactly how many jews were murdered?
I should imagine that it mattered to them and to the members of their families that survived!
I agree, and the same of course applies to all who died during the war, regardless of wether they were soldiers or civilians.

/Marcus

billy beard
Banned

Post by billy beard » 06 Jan 2003, 21:14

i think you both have taken my statement as it wasn't intended

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 07 Jan 2003, 00:22

Charles Bunch wrote:It may pass for powerful argument at the air-photo board, but in the real world, normal people will call you on it.
That’s why they seem to be scared of opposition.

The poster Peptic aka Max aka alpha was banned

http://air-photo.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 234edbbf00

presumably because he asked the true believers some inconvenient questions:

http://air-photo.com/forum/search.php?s ... 234edbbf00

And the poster cortagravatas (myself) hasn’t even had his account activated, despite several inquiries:
Guadalupe Salcedo <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:48:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Fwd: Re: Welcome to Air Photo Evidence Comments Forums
To: [email protected]

Guadalupe Salcedo <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:28:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Welcome to Air Photo Evidence Comments Forums
To: [email protected]

Dear Moderator,

I registered on 31.12.2002 and have received the mail below.

However, I have not yet received the second mail telling me that my account has been activated.

Could you please tell me when I can count on receiving this mail?

Thank you.

[email protected] wrote:

Charset: iso-8859-1

Welcome to Air Photo Evidence Comments Forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:

----------------------------
Username: cortagravatas
Password: ----------------------------

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate
it before you can log in. You will receive another email when this has occured.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot
retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one
which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering.

--
Thanks, Moderator
A sorry bunch they are.

Kampfgruppe Peiper
Banned

IT DOES MATTER

Post by Kampfgruppe Peiper » 07 Jan 2003, 10:05

IT MATTERS BECAUSE THE JEWS ARE ALL WE HEAR ABOUT WITH THE HOLLOCAUST. ARMENIANS WERE MASSACRED. BRAVE AND NOBLE GERMANS WERE MASSACRED FOR YEARS AFTER THE WAR BY THE BOLSHEVICKS. BUT ALL WE HERE ABOUT IS THE JEW.

IN FACT, JEWS ARE EVEN NOW EXTERMINATING ARABS. BUT THATS OK, RIGHT?

LETS BE FAIR, EVERYONE AT ONE TIME IN HIS PAST HAS AN ANCESTOR WHO WAS MASSACRED. THATS WHY IT MATTERS, EQUAL TIME FOR EQUAL PERSECUTED. FAIR ENOUGH? PLEASE DONT GIVE FALSE NUMBERS!!!

Roberto

Re: IT DOES MATTER

Post by Roberto » 07 Jan 2003, 11:20

Kampfgruppe Peiper wrote:IT MATTERS BECAUSE THE JEWS ARE ALL WE HEAR ABOUT WITH THE HOLLOCAUST. ARMENIANS WERE MASSACRED. BRAVE AND NOBLE GERMANS WERE MASSACRED FOR YEARS AFTER THE WAR BY THE BOLSHEVICKS. BUT ALL WE HERE ABOUT IS THE JEW.
Here's an article that KP may enjoy reading - if he can understand it:

Assaults on Truth and Memory: Holocaust Denial in Context

by Ward Churchill

http://www.zmag.org/Zmag/articles/cot96church.htm

Harry

3 Million Jews

Post by Harry » 07 Jan 2003, 15:27

Michael your asertions , whilst interesting, fail to address key concerns.
Writen orders pertaining to special actions , resettlement etc. are nigh on
impossible to come by save the respective head counts from the Einsatzgruppen Commanders in the East. We may as well pursue the revisionist notion that Hitler was not responsible, and equally deny that
Sobibor, Treblinka, Chelmno et al were day centres. World war for Hitler meant the opportunity to implement the destruction of the race he had loathed publically since 1919. Equally at Wansee Heydrich ensured all aspects of the Reich's administration could be left in little doubt what the Fuhrer's intentions were, and more importantly that each Ministry had a role to play.Thereby Hitler would incriminate the German administration as a whole rather than leaving such slaughter to the auspices of the NSDAP.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 09 Jan 2003, 03:03

Roberto wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:
Chuckoo wrote:The policy to murder the Jews of Europe was a policy undertaken during war, but it had nothing to do with wartime policy.
I beg to differ. It had everything to do with the war and even Roberto thinks so.
I suppose that is why Roberto keeps reminding Smith of what exactly a Nazi bigwig like Goebbels considered the relationship between the killing of the Jews and the war to be: war, according to Goebbels, provided the opportunity to do what could not have been done in peacetime.
Beginning with Lublin, the Jews in the General Government are now being evacuated eastward. The procedure is a pretty barbaric one and not to be described here more definitely. Not much will remain of the Jews. On the whole it can be said that about 60 per cent of them will have to be liquidated whereas only about 40 per cent can be used for forced labor.

The former Gauleiter of Vienna, who is to carry this measure through, is doing it with considerable circumspection and according to a method that does not attract too much attention. A judgment is being visited upon the Jews that, while barbaric, is fully deserved by them. The prophesy which the Fuehrer made about them for having brought on a new world war is beginning to come true in a most terrible manner. One must not be sentimental in these matters. If we did not fight the Jews, they would destroy us. It's a life-and-death struggle between the Aryan race and the Jewish bacillus. No other government and no other regime would have the strength for such a global solution of this question. Here, too, the Fuehrer is the undismayed champion of a radical solution necessitated by conditions and therefore inexorable. Fortunately a whole series of possibilities presents itself for us in wartime that would be denied us in peacetime. We shall have to profit by this.[my emphasis]

The ghettoes that will be emptied in the cities of the General Government now will be refilled with Jews thrown out of the Reich. This process is to be repeated from time to time. There is nothing funny in it for the Jews, and the fact that Jewry's representatives in England and America are today organizing and sponsoring the war against Germany must be paid for dearly by its representatives in Europe - and that's only right.
The above translation of Goebbels' diary entry of 27 March 1942 can is transcribed under

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/g/goe ... ts-02.html
I'm at a loss to see how Dr. Goebbels (as per his musings) was in a position to dictate to Hitler or even Himmler. Nevertheless, Goebbels wanted to make his Gau Jew-Free and was in a position to deport them, given the need for wartime forced-labor in the East. Now, nobody pretends that such a grave injustice is benign, but a blueprint for the mass-murder of them all is still lacking, AFAIC.
How about making your lies a little less transparent, Mr. Smith?
How so? Or better yet, nevermind. I don't really care. Your accusations are old-hat by now.
:)

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 09 Jan 2003, 11:22

Scott Smith wrote:
Roberto wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:
Chuckoo wrote:The policy to murder the Jews of Europe was a policy undertaken during war, but it had nothing to do with wartime policy.
I beg to differ. It had everything to do with the war and even Roberto thinks so.
I suppose that is why Roberto keeps reminding Smith of what exactly a Nazi bigwig like Goebbels considered the relationship between the killing of the Jews and the war to be: war, according to Goebbels, provided the opportunity to do what could not have been done in peacetime.
Beginning with Lublin, the Jews in the General Government are now being evacuated eastward. The procedure is a pretty barbaric one and not to be described here more definitely. Not much will remain of the Jews. On the whole it can be said that about 60 per cent of them will have to be liquidated whereas only about 40 per cent can be used for forced labor.

The former Gauleiter of Vienna, who is to carry this measure through, is doing it with considerable circumspection and according to a method that does not attract too much attention. A judgment is being visited upon the Jews that, while barbaric, is fully deserved by them. The prophesy which the Fuehrer made about them for having brought on a new world war is beginning to come true in a most terrible manner. One must not be sentimental in these matters. If we did not fight the Jews, they would destroy us. It's a life-and-death struggle between the Aryan race and the Jewish bacillus. No other government and no other regime would have the strength for such a global solution of this question. Here, too, the Fuehrer is the undismayed champion of a radical solution necessitated by conditions and therefore inexorable. Fortunately a whole series of possibilities presents itself for us in wartime that would be denied us in peacetime. We shall have to profit by this.[my emphasis]

The ghettoes that will be emptied in the cities of the General Government now will be refilled with Jews thrown out of the Reich. This process is to be repeated from time to time. There is nothing funny in it for the Jews, and the fact that Jewry's representatives in England and America are today organizing and sponsoring the war against Germany must be paid for dearly by its representatives in Europe - and that's only right.
The above translation of Goebbels' diary entry of 27 March 1942 can is transcribed under

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/g/goe ... ts-02.html
I'm at a loss to see how Dr. Goebbels (as per his musings) was in a position to dictate to Hitler or even Himmler.
What's that supposed to mean ?

What statements of the other two can Smith quote that show their approach to the issue to have been what he would like it to have been?
Scott Smith wrote:Nevertheless, Goebbels wanted to make his Gau Jew-Free and was in a position to deport them, given the need for wartime forced-labor in the East.
Was he talking about the Jews of his Gau?

I didn't know Goebbels was the Gauleiter of the Polish General Government.
Scott Smith wrote:Now, nobody pretends that such a grave injustice is benign,
Goebbels spoke of liquidation, of a "barbaric" procedure even he, who had no problem in writing about mass executions, didn't want to describe "more definitely", of a judgement being visited upon the Jews, etc.

"Grave injustice", Smith calls it.
Scott Smith wrote:but a blueprint for the mass-murder of them all is still lacking, AFAIC.
In Smith's dreamworld, there was never such a "blueprint", whatever Smith means by that.

In the real world, even the date when Hitler gave the "go ahead" to an all-encompassing program of murdering the Jews all over Europe seems to have been identified.
Scott Smith wrote:
How about making your lies a little less transparent, Mr. Smith?
How so? Or better yet, nevermind. I don't really care. Your accusations are old-hat by now.
Necessarily so, as Smith keeps repeating his crap no matter how often it is slapped around his ears.

And as long as he does, my "accusations" (I'd call them "observations") remain pertinent.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 09 Jan 2003, 12:00

Charles Bunch wrote:
At the time of the conference Chelmno had been in operation for a number of weeks, the gas chambers of Belzec were under construction and would be in operation in less than two months, and experiments with gassing with Zyklon B had occurred at Auschwitz to which the deportations of Jews was about to begin, and at which in the Spring the first of two Birkenau farmhouses was converted into a gas chamber.
In the above passage, Charles Bunch assumes a connection between a number of developments that is increasingly questioned by historians.

It appears that the establishment of a killing centre at Chelmno was a local action initiated by the Reichstatthalter of Reichsgau Wartheland, with the assent of Himmler and Heydrich, for the purpose of reducing the number of Jews in the Wartheland by 100,000 or about one-third. The impetus for that initiative seems to have derived from the overcrowding in the Lodz Ghetto due to the arrival of thousands of Jews deported from Germany, and also the decision to turn the ghetto into an industrial enterprise where all the employable Jews of Wartheland would be concentrated, with the unemployables being exterminated.

In any case, there appears to be no formal connection between Greiser's Chelmno initiative and the Europe-wide deportation plan revealed by Heydrich at Wannsee. Only the deportation of German Jews to Lodz was part of that plan, and those deportees were not sent to Chelmno until May of 1942. Chelmno was run by a Sonderkommando from the Security Police HQ in Posen which had previously been involved in a local "euthanasia" action, and was not controlled by the RSHA.

The former transit camp at Belzec had been re-commissioned starting from October 1941, but it is not clear what its original purpose was. The long delay between the start of work and the commencement of deportations from Lublin in March 1942 (almost six months) suggests a period during which a decision was being awaited. The German historian Peter Longerich believes that the final German Government approval for the killing of the unemployable majority of the Jews of the GG did not come until March, just before the commencement of deportations.

In any case, the process leading to the extermination of the unemployable 60% of the Polish Jewish population under the command of Globocnik has never been clarified definitively. All the personnel connections seem to lead back to the "euthanasia" program in Germany, rather than to the RSHA. There is no clearly discernible connection between the localised extermination program run by Globocnik in the GG and the europe-wide deportation program for which Heydrich had responsibility and which he revealed at Wannsee. The destination of Heydrich's deportation program was the occupied Soviet Union, not the GG. Furthermore, Globocnik appears to have been operating on his own authority, reporting directly to Himmler, and not to have been subordinate to Heydrich.

As for the introduction of the gassing technology at Auschwitz, that was connected with the killing of Soviet POWs selected as "dangerous" and sent to concentration camps, including Auschwitz, for execution. At the time of the introduction of gassing, probably in December 1941, there was as yet no decision to send Jews to Auschwitz. The conversion of the morgue of Crematorium 1 to a gas-chamber was also related to the killing of selected Soviet POWs, and had nothing to do with Jews.

The commencement of the deportation of Jews to Auschwitz had two origins, only one of which was connected to Heydrich's large-scale deportation program. On 26 January 1942, one week after the Wannsee conference, Himmler issued an order to the RSHA and the WVHA to divert 150,000 Jews from those currently being deported from Germany and send them to concentration camps for "important economic tasks". Auschwitz was not mentioned in the order, but eventually it and Lublin-Majdanek became the camps to which Jews were sent.

As stated, Himmler's order, which initiated the sending of Jews to Auschwitz, which had not originally been designed as a camp for Jews, was connected with Heydrich's deportation plan, but represented a change to it. It meant that of the Jews being deported and to be deported into the occupied Soviet Union, as prescribed in Heydrich's plan, 150,000 were to be diverted and sent to Auschwitz as a work-force. The historian of Auschwitz, Robert Jan Van Pelt, has shown that the decision to send Jews to Auschwitz as a work-force was a result of the fact that Soviet POWs, for whom Birkenau was built, were no longer available, having been reserved by Goering for armaments work.

Thus, when the deportation plan outlined by Heydrich at Wannsee was being developed, and at the time of the conference itself, there was no thought of sending Jews to Auschwitz. All the deportees were supposed to be sent to the occupied Soviet Union, not to a camp that strictly speaking was on the territory of the Reich (East Upper Silesia).

The other source of the Jews sent to Auschwitz was the work camps run by Schmelt in Upper Silesia. Van Pelt has shown that this was a local deal between Schmelt and the Auschwitz camp administration, and had no connection with Heydrich's deportation plan managed by Eichmann. Sick and debilitated Jews from the Schmelt camps were sent to Auschwitz for kiling, using the gassing technology that had been devised for the Soviet POWs. The Schmelt Jews began to arrive in February 1942.

The date of conversion of the first farmhouse into a gas-chamber is not known for certain. It may have been in May 1942. It seems to be related to the arrival of the Schmelt Jews, and the localisation of Aktion 14f13 within Auschwitz.

All in all, there is no obvious connection between Heydrich's deportation plan and the various local initiatives listed by Charles Bunch. There is no reason for not accepting that the plan outlined by Heydrich at Wannsee was limited to the deportation of the Jews under German control into the occupied Soviet Union, and the use of the employables for slave labour on strategic road-building programs such as Durchgangsstrasse IV.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 09 Jan 2003, 14:37

michael mills wrote:All in all, there is no obvious connection between Heydrich's deportation plan and the various local initiatives listed by Charles Bunch. There is no reason for not accepting that the plan outlined by Heydrich at Wannsee was limited to the deportation of the Jews under German control into the occupied Soviet Union, and the use of the employables for slave labour on strategic road-building programs such as Durchgangsstrasse IV.
Other than

i) What is stated in the protocol itself:
[...]Unter entsprechender Leitung sollen im Zuge der Endlösung die Juden in geeigneter Weise im Osten zum Arbeitseinsatz kommen. In großen Arbeitskolonnen, unter Trennung der Geschlechter, werden die arbeitsfähigen Juden straßenbauend in diese Gebiete geführt, wobei zweifellos ein Großteil durch natürliche Verminderung ausfallen wird.

Der allfällig endlich verbleibende Restbestand wird, da es sich bei diesem zweifellos um den widerstandsfähigsten Teil handelt, entsprechend behandelt werden müssen, da dieser, eine natürliche Auslese darstellend, bei Freilassung als Keimzelle eines neuen jüdischen Aufbaues anzusprechen ist. (Siehe die Erfahrung der Geschichte.)[...]
http://library.byu.edu/~rdh/eurodocs/germ/wanngerm.html

Online translation, accurate AFAIC:
[...]Under proper guidance, in the course of the final solution the Jews are to be allocated for appropriate labor in the East. Able-bodied Jews, separated according to sex, will be taken in large work columns to these areas for work on roads, in the course of which action doubtless a large portion will be eliminated by natural causes[my emphasis].

The possible final remnant[my emphasis] will, since it will undoubtedly consist of the most resistant portion, have to be treated accordingly, because it is the product of natural selection and would, if released, act as a the seed of a new Jewish revival[my emphasis] (see the experience of history.)[...]
Source of quote:

http://library.byu.edu/~rdh/eurodocs/germ/wanneng.html

ii) What is conspicuously absent from that statement: if “Jewish revival” was to be prevented, and if the “useful” Jews were to be “eliminated by natural courses” in the course of the exploitation of their labor force or “treated accordingly” if they survived, what was to become of the “useless” Jews, those not “able-bodied” enough to perform hard physical labor?

and

iii) What Eichmann said at his trial about the actual terminology employed by the technocrats gathered at Wannsee:
[...]A: I do not remember it in detail, Your Honour. I do not remember the circumstances of this conversation. But I do know that these gentlemen were standing together, or sitting together, and were discussing the subject quite bluntly, quite differently from the language which I had to use later in the record. During the conversation they minced no words about it at all. I might say furthermore, Your Honour, that I would not have remembered this unless I had later remembered that I told myself- Look here, I told myself, even this guy Stuckart, who was known as one of these uncles who was a great stickler for legalities, he too uses language which is not at all in accordance with paragraphs of the law.[my emphasis] This incident remained engraved in my memory and recalled the entire subject to my mind.

Q. What did he say about this subject?

A. In detail I do not-

Q. Not details in general, what did he say about this theme?

A. I cannot remember it in detail Your Honour, but they spoke about methods for killing, about liquidation, about extermination.[my emphasis] I was busy with my records. I had to make the preparations for taking down the minutes. I could not perk up my ears and listen to everything that was said. But it filtered through the small room and I caught fragments of this conversation. It was a small room so from time to time I heard a word or two.[...]
Source of quote:

http://www.aihgs.com/doc22.htm

As we’re at it, what does Mills’ source John Fox say about these statements of Eichmann, once again ?

Charles Bunch

Post by Charles Bunch » 22 Jan 2003, 00:20

michael mills wrote:Charles Bunch wrote:
At the time of the conference Chelmno had been in operation for a number of weeks, the gas chambers of Belzec were under construction and would be in operation in less than two months, and experiments with gassing with Zyklon B had occurred at Auschwitz to which the deportations of Jews was about to begin, and at which in the Spring the first of two Birkenau farmhouses was converted into a gas chamber.
In the above passage, Charles Bunch assumes a connection between a number of developments that is increasingly questioned by historians.
First of all my point had nothing to do with a connection between these developments other than to point out that they were all ongoing at the time Heydrich held the Wannsee Conference and stated that: "These actions are, however, only to be considered provisional, but practical experience is already being collected which is of the greatest importance in relation to the future final solution of the Jewish question."

The experimentation and planning represented by gassing with CO, with Zyklon B, and with gas vans certainly was experience which proved to be of vital importance to the Final Solution.

Secondly, nothing about this point is increasingly being questioned by historians.
It appears that the establishment of a killing centre at Chelmno was a local action initiated by the Reichstatthalter of Reichsgau Wartheland, with the assent of Himmler and Heydrich, for the purpose of reducing the number of Jews in the Wartheland by 100,000 or about one-third. The impetus for that initiative seems to have derived from the overcrowding in the Lodz Ghetto due to the arrival of thousands of Jews deported from Germany, and also the decision to turn the ghetto into an industrial enterprise where all the employable Jews of Wartheland would be concentrated, with the unemployables being exterminated.
Which, of course, touches not at all on my point.

The murdering by gas in the Warthegau began in October of 1941 with SK Lange, after which a stationary site was found, constituting the bridge between gas vans operating in various locations, to a camp based location to which victims were shipped to be murdered in gas vans. This is just one of the examples of the experimentation which was being carried on at the time of the Wannsee Conference.
In any case, there appears to be no formal connection between Greiser's Chelmno initiative and the Europe-wide deportation plan revealed by Heydrich at Wannsee.

The connection was not made to the already determined plan, but to the future final plan which would benefit from the "practical experience" then being acquired.

On the other hand, the emptying of the Lodz ghetto was tied to the deportation plan.
Only the deportation of German Jews to Lodz was part of that plan, and those deportees were not sent to Chelmno until May of 1942. Chelmno was run by a Sonderkommando from the Security Police HQ in Posen which had previously been involved in a local "euthanasia" action, and was not controlled by the RSHA.
SK Lange was ordered to the Warthegau by Himmler.
The former transit camp at Belzec had been re-commissioned starting from October 1941, but it is not clear what its original purpose was. The long delay between the start of work and the commencement of deportations from Lublin in March 1942 (almost six months) suggests a period during which a decision was being awaited. The German historian Peter Longerich believes that the final German Government approval for the killing of the unemployable majority of the Jews of the GG did not come until March, just before the commencement of deportations.
And Longerich is decidedly in the minority on this point.

The purpose for construction of a camp at Belzec is perfectly clear.

As Longerich himself points out, a meeting between Globocnik and Himmler on October 13, 1941 is the likely date of the order from Himmler to Globocnik to build the camp. Activity during the subsequent period does not suggest that a decision about the purpose of the camp was awaited. A few weeks after this meeting construction on Belzec began. In December those selected from the T4 Organization to work in Aktion Reinhardt were transferred to Belzec, bringing their gassing expertise with them. Eichmann, sent by Himmler to report on the various types of preparations for the Final Solution which Himmler revealed to him in late summer 1941, visited Belzec sometime in the late Fall during its construction. He was given a tour of the gas chambers under construction.

[...]
The destination of Heydrich's deportation program was the occupied Soviet Union, not the GG. Furthermore, Globocnik appears to have been operating on his own authority, reporting directly to Himmler, and not to have been subordinate to Heydrich.
Globocnik was not operating on his own authority, but on Himmler's, who was the ultimate authority.
As for the introduction of the gassing technology at Auschwitz, that was connected with the killing of Soviet POWs selected as "dangerous" and sent to concentration camps, including Auschwitz, for execution.

Soviet POWs were killed in a couple of experimental gassings, from which the decision was made to use Zyklon B for the upcoming murder of Jews, as Hoess tells us in his memoirs. By the time of the Wannsee Conference this would have been known.
At the time of the introduction of gassing, probably in December 1941, there was as yet no decision to send Jews to Auschwitz.

Not according to the camp commandant.

Hoess testified to attending a meeting in Eichmann’s office in late November, 1941, at which transportation issues were discussed.

In any event this is another irrelevant point. The point is that gassing with Zyklon B had been carried out successfully before the Wannsee Conference in January and constitutes one of the "practical experiences" known about at the time.
As stated, Himmler's order, which initiated the sending of Jews to Auschwitz, which had not originally been designed as a camp for Jews,
Another absolutely irrelevant point to the discussion.
was connected with Heydrich's deportation plan, but represented a change to it.
And this has what to do with the issue under discussion?

Mr. Mills often gets himself caught up in a desire to contend for its own sake and ends up drifting off into irrelevancies.
It meant that of the Jews being deported and to be deported into the occupied Soviet Union, as prescribed in Heydrich's plan, 150,000 were to be diverted and sent to Auschwitz as a work-force. The historian of Auschwitz, Robert Jan Van Pelt, has shown that the decision to send Jews to Auschwitz as a work-force was a result of the fact that Soviet POWs, for whom Birkenau was built, were no longer available, having been reserved by Goering for armaments work.

Which is not the same as saying the decision to send Jews to Auschwitz was purely to have a work force. Mr. Mills likes to make these types of statements!

By the way, there was no plan to deport Jews to the Soviet Union at this point.
Thus, when the deportation plan outlined by Heydrich at Wannsee was being developed, and at the time of the conference itself, there was no thought of sending Jews to Auschwitz. All the deportees were supposed to be sent to the occupied Soviet Union, not to a camp that strictly speaking was on the territory of the Reich (East Upper Silesia).
Evidence exists showing that plans for sending Jews to Auschwitz did exist. But the point is irrelevant to the discussion, which is those "practical experiences" which were being gained at the time of the Conference which specifically applied to the "future final solution".

[…]
The date of conversion of the first farmhouse into a gas-chamber is not known for certain. It may have been in May 1942. It seems to be related to the arrival of the Schmelt Jews, and the localisation of Aktion 14f13 within Auschwitz.
The date of conversion of the “Little White House” occurred in “the first few months” of 1942, or “in the early Spring”. The February/March timeframe is assumed by scholars.

The conversion was to accommodate the scheduled ongoing arrival of Jewish transports as part of the extermination program.
All in all, there is no obvious connection between Heydrich's deportation plan and the various local initiatives listed by Charles Bunch.
There is no difference between the overall plan for Jewish extermination and Heydrich’s plan, which was deportation to death camps, or to ghettos for re-transport to death camps.

In any event, the point of Mills post has nothing to do with the point I made.
There is no reason for not accepting that the plan outlined by Heydrich at Wannsee was limited to the deportation of the Jews under German control into the occupied Soviet Union, and the use of the employables for slave labour on strategic road-building programs such as Durchgangsstrasse IV.
There most certainly is!

The plan outlined at Wannsee had nothing to do with deporting anyone to the Soviet Union!

D. Advocate Esq.

Post by D. Advocate Esq. » 22 Jan 2003, 14:32

Afternoon All,

Much of the contentiousness of the issue can be summed up by the question "Are Jews a people or a religion?". Clearly, for non-jews it is easy to slip into the default reaction that Jews are a religious group. For most people it follows that they treat references to Judaism as second to the national group. For example, a Polish Jew is first and foremost a Pole, and therefore it is clear to see why some people could feel that their Polishness (or Polarity?) is more important. This gives rise to the view that the targetting of Jews was more due to their economic and dissenting voice within Germany. After all it is well known that a country under pressure targets an easily recognisable minority: Romans and Christians, Catholics and Protestants. This explains perfectly the Argentinian motives for the Falklands War. In support of this, many Jews have been publicly recorded protesting about Nazi repression in the 30s, and the claims that "We fought for this country in WW1, we are German" were used by some Jews as objections (and rightly so).

On the other hand, most Jews consider themselves a people (and there is no other society so strictly defined) divided down a religious line. For them, to be Jewish is to be part of the Jewish nation. This clearly explains why many Jews view the Holocaust as a personal, national instance of genocide (in part because of their membership of the Kingdom of Israel). However, the question is

"How many Jews considered themselves a nation before Israel exsisted?"

Was there an international trans-national feeling, or did Russian Jews feel Russian and German Jews feel German? This is a very tough question to answer, and requires primary source material rather than retrospective assertions.

On genocide: the UN describes Genocide in the following way:

CONVENTION ON THE PREVENTION AND PUNISHMENT
OF THE CRIME OF GENOCIDE

Adopted by Resolution 260 (III) A of the United Nations General Assembly on
9 December 1948.

Art. 2. In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts
committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national,
ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to
bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Scrupulous readers will notice that this definition INCLUDES soldiers, as they are part of a national, racial or religious group. This definition is ultimately pretty useless as it renders every war genocide. Under this definition, Israel is commiting genocide by targetting the Palestinians, and the rest of us have done too over the years.. Everyone of us with a brain accepts that the treatment of all those that suffered and died in the camps was inexcusable. However, does the killing of Jews require more note than the killing of anyone else in the camps? No. Does the Holocaust justify the donation of someone else's homeland to Jews? Difficult. But consider this: If Israel was given by then UN to victims of Rwandan genocide, would the Israelis fight for it as the Palestinians are?

So, feel free to discuss with me!

Best Wishes to all, even if you disagree!

Mark B

Should anyone be feeling like being intolerably ignorant and branding me a Jew hater, I can assure you that my Jewish girlfriend would not agree with you...

D. Advocate Esq.

Post by D. Advocate Esq. » 22 Jan 2003, 14:50

Dear All,

Having read a few other strings I had no realised that the BigAdministratorPeople were so strict at keeping things on subject.

With that in mind, please DON'T to my comments, about current world events, but respond to the discussion on the nature of Genocide and the issues of Jewish identities under the 3rd Reich.

Apologies for drifting off topic!

Mark B

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 22 Jan 2003, 17:36

D. Advocate Esq. wrote:Scrupulous readers will notice that this definition INCLUDES soldiers, as they are part of a national, racial or religious group. This definition is ultimately pretty useless as it renders every war genocide.

Yeah, sure.
OF THE CRIME OF GENOCIDE

9 December 1948.

committed with intent[my emphasis] to destroy[my emphasis], in whole or in part, a national,
ethnical, racial or religious group
[my emphasis], as such[my emphasis]:

D. Advocate Esq. wrote:Under this definition, Israel is commiting genocide by targetting the Palestinians, and the rest of us have done too over the years.
Yeah, sure.
OF THE CRIME OF GENOCIDE

9 December 1948.

committed with intent[my emphasis] to destroy[my emphasis], in whole or in part, a national,
ethnical, racial or religious group
[my emphasis], as such[my emphasis]:

You’re not an advocate, are you ?

D. Advocate Esq.

Post by D. Advocate Esq. » 23 Jan 2003, 09:59

Roberto,

You can clearly see from my post that I completely agree that the UN definition covers events in WW2. That is blatantly obvious. Rather than Yeah Sure-ing (TM), just look at things from a independent point of view. I am merely making the point that the term Genocide is a difficult one to define given the difference in meaning from then to now. Nowhere do I hint that what went on was not terrible, just that it is part of a catalogue of horrors that deserve discussion.

Anyway, I later post to say that people should ignore reference to the modern political situation and enlighten me about the strength of identity in the Diaspora in the 40s.

I am interested and not clouded by emotional involvement in the situation, rather than prejudiced. There is a rather offensive distinction there.

Best Wishes, Mark B

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”