Wartime Japanese newspaper account of Nanking

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Ardee

Wartime Japanese newspaper account of Nanking

Post by Ardee » 01 Jul 2008, 17:49

Please forgive me if this has been covered before: this is my first post to this section of the forum; my interests normally lie elsewhere. But I came across this image on a flicker/photobucket type gallery, and it's a thumbnail that doesn't link to anything of higher rez. According to the one-line caption provided by the poster -- the only information provided -- the image is of a war-time news article about a head-taking contest by Japanese soldiers during the rape of Nanking. The image is of too low quality for me to ask anybody to try and read this, but on the assumption the image is not a fake AND that the caption was accurate:

1. Has anybody else ever come across a better/larger version of this image (since the "original" had a "tmb" in its file name, I assume the poster that I found had taken it from somewhere else), or has anybody ever come across a similar news story?

2. Would wartime Japanese newspapers normally carry such a story? What would it's tenor have been -- even allowing for the passage of 70 years and vast cultural differences, it seems hard to believe the "ordinary Japanese" would react in any favorable way to such a story (I *AM* making an assumption here that the story was telling readers about the taking of heads of unarmed Chinese civilians or captured soldiers, rather than a "glorified" story of an impromptu head-taking contest during a hand-to-hand melee or some such). In other words, what spin would the imperial censors have put on such a story to make it palatable?

3. If such articles exist, how are they dealt with by those Japanese who deny the Rape of Nanking ever took place? It would seem a contemporaneous report by one of their own newspapers would be hard to shrug off, even if the story was a sanitized version approved of by the military.
Attachments
00 Jpn nwsppr tmb_battle_nanjing1.jpg
00 Jpn nwsppr tmb_battle_nanjing1.jpg (7.67 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Peter H

Re: Wartime Japanese newspaper account of Nanking

Post by Peter H » 02 Jul 2008, 11:36

Discussed here: :)

The Beheading Competition:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117063

Ardee

Re: Wartime Japanese newspaper account of Nanking

Post by Ardee » 02 Jul 2008, 22:54