Did 1.5 million really die in the Reinhardt camps?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Hawkwind

Re: Did 1.5 million really die in the Reinhardt camps?

Post by Hawkwind » 20 Oct 2009, 07:38

The human body has roughly the specific gravity of water. Fat weighs less than water, bone and muscle, more. So, a person weighing 100kg will displace .1m^ A cubic metre of water weighs 1 metric tonne, right? A cubic metre measures 100cm X 100cm X 100cm, right? No Imperial to metric conversions and the resultant possibility of error are required.
No Imperial to metric conversions and the resultant possibility of error are required? WTF?
Alternatively, a generous average weight of 40kg per person would permit a burial density of 25 people per cubic metre.
Twenty-five babies might fit in a cubic meter. Twenty five children is highly unlikely. Twenty five adults, no way.

This discussion is over a year old and I don't really want to revive it. I do think it's curious that Tankcommander believes only a few thousand people were buried at Treblinka when by his own highly dubious calculations estimated that 132,040 bodies could fit into the burial pits at Treblinka.

My question here concerns how we know what we know. I have read Arad's book about Belzec, Sobibor, and Treblinka and Yankel Wiernik's A Year in Treblinka. I have seen references to an investigation by the Soviets right after the war but I have not been able to track it down. The vast majority of our knowledge about the Treblinka death camp comes from the judgements of war crimes trials. Does anybody know where I can find English translations of the transcipts of these trials? I haven't been able to find English translations of just the judgements let alone a transcript of trials. I would love to see what the prosecutors and defense presented to the courts to get a sense of how the judgements were decided.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”