"Other" War Crimes -- POW Lynchings

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
PF

Re: "Other" War Crimes -- POW Lynchings

Post by PF » 15 Oct 2014, 01:05

JustinYT

Post by JustinYT » 17 Oct 2014, 06:27

The idea doesn't surprise me, from what I understand American an British pilots were among some of the most hated Allied soldiers. I've heard that after the war German people would string piano wire across roads that were often traveled by US Air Force and R.A.F pilots as revenge for the terror bombings.

PF

Post by PF » 02 Jan 2015, 02:06

PF

Post by PF » 18 Feb 2015, 20:29

Kauko

Post by Kauko » 03 Oct 2017, 10:43

I noticed that in some US "Review and Recommendations" papers (e.g. US case 12-2422-1, page 3 "For the Defense") reference is made to a speech of Dr. Goebbels which was apparently broadcast via radio, inciting the populace to violence against allied fliers. I found the text of his infamous editorial which was printed in the newspapers on 28/29 May 1944, but so far I did not find the text of this radio address.

Now just yesterday I hit upon a documentary made by Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk.

At about 25 minutes into the video, a sound bit is given which seems to be the voice of Goebbels.

The text is:
„Es ist nun vorgekommen, dass in einzelnen Dörfern oder Städten die Bevölkerung gegen solche terroristischen Jagdflieger zur Selbsthilfe geschritten ist. Sie hat sie erschlagen (Johlen, Applaus) oder ihnen die Hälse durchgeschnitten und ähnliches. Wir vergießen deshalb keine Krokodilstränen, und die das getan haben, werden deshalb nicht aufs Schafott geführt; so verrückt sind wir nicht…“

My translation:
“It so happened that in a few villages or towns the population turned to self-help against such terroristic fighter pilots. They battered them to death (cheering, applause) or cut their throats, or similar. We’re not shedding false tears over that, and those who did this will not be led to the scaffold for it; we’re not as harebrained as that…”

My question: Is anybody able to confirm whether this is Goebbels' voice? Can someone identify the speech (date, place) and give a book reference?

Thanks for listening.

Kauko

wbell

Post by wbell » 01 Nov 2017, 17:49

As an ex-military pilot, I'd expect to be executed if I bailed-out over hostile territory under these circumstances. I think it's human nature to want to kill those responsible for bombing civilians and killing many innocents.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 02 Nov 2017, 03:25

"Human nature" is the reason societies have laws. See the discussion in the "Eye for an Eye" thread at /viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65306

wbell

Post by wbell » 09 Nov 2017, 19:48

David Thompson wrote: ...The P-51, markedly superior to German fighter planes, achieved air superiority over the Reich...
The P-51 Mustang was a great aircraft, but in many ways the Focke-Wulf 190 was on par*** and at times superior to the P-51 (especially below 20,000 feet). The Focke-Wulf TA151 was the variant of the FW190 that was designed specifically as a high altitude interceptor.

Factors such as: quantity of ammunition available, initial position, humidity/wing loading, available fuel capacity (weight) and most importantly Pilot ability / experience were considerations on every encounter. Certainly the P-51 was not markedly superior in every case. There were many good aircraft; any of whom could win the day or be overwhelmed.

*** Comment by Chuck Yeager after having an opportunity to fly a FW190.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 09 Nov 2017, 20:30

wbell -- Whatever your opinion may be of the P-51, the topic under discussion here is "Other" War Crimes -- POW Lynchings. Please stay on it.
5. Topicality

The fifth rule of the forum is: "Keep the message on topic." There are two aspects to this rule. The first involves topics which may be discussed in this section of the forum. The second involves staying on topic when posting to a thread.

Permissible subjects for this section of the forum are the holocaust and twentieth century war crimes. If a thread isn't discussing something related to those subjects, it's off-topic.

Although there are occasionally exceptions, the forum management tries to keep a thread on a single topic. This makes it easier for readers to follow, and for researchers to subsequently locate, the discussions. If a poster would like to see further discussion of off-topic matters, please raise the subject in a pre-existing thread on that topic or, if there are no pre-existing threads, on a separate thread.

Non-complying posts are subject to deletion after warning.

app.php/rules

wm

Post by wm » 09 Nov 2017, 22:20

wbell wrote:As an ex-military pilot, I'd expect to be executed if I bailed-out over hostile territory under these circumstances. I think it's human nature to want to kill those responsible for bombing civilians and killing many innocents.
You will not find the word "innocents" in the Laws of War. There were only unlawfully killed there.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 10 Nov 2017, 04:15

A second off-topic post from wbell was removed pursuant to the topicality warning at viewtopic.php?p=2106756#p2106756

PF

Post by PF » 25 Dec 2017, 19:28

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”