actual Jewish population of Poland in 1939

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
uberjude

Re: actual Jewish population of Poland in 1939

Post by uberjude » 22 Nov 2009, 03:26

First of all, I want to apologize--when I joined the forum, I hadn't read the instructions about including an actual name in your screen name. I'm David, for anyone who's interested.

That said, I still think Michael's case for a Jewish population in Poland lower than 3.1 million is pretty weak, and he's ignored some of my points, but I'll add a new one (and again, see Mendelsohn's chapter on Poland in Jews of East Central Europe Between the Wars)

Although the figure of 13% Polish speakers among Jews may seem high, it pales in comparison to the 1921 census data which showed nearly 27% of Polish Jews claiming to be Jews by religion, but Poles by nationality. Nor is that generally considered to be an exaggeration. Moreover, a significant number of those who claimed to be Poles by nationality were precisely those Hasidim who Michael feels were unlikely to be Polish speakers. Why would these obviously religious, unacculturated Jews make such a claim? To challenge the secular Jewish nationalists, most notably the Zionists, for whom Jewish identity was precisely a matter of nationality and not religion, a notion which horrified traditionalists. So, given that number, it becomes perhaps less shocking that ten years later, 13 percent of Poland's Jews (in other words, only half those who claimed to be Poles by nationality) would claim Polish as their mother tongue. Indeed, even many Zionists spoke Polish, and apparently (again, Mendelsohn, 32) Hashomer Hatsair used conducted themselves in Polish, as did the Zionist press in Galicia

It is also worth pointing out that, in fact, Galicia under the Dual Monarchy had a strong movement towards Polish in the fin de siecle. I'd never seen these number before, but apparently, in the 1900 census, in which Yiddish was not an option, nearly 80% of Galician Jews chose Polish as their spoken language (by comparison, in the 1897 Russian census, in which Yiddish was a choice, only 13% of Warsaw's Jews chose Polish) [url]http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics ... opedia/url]

While doubtlessly, many of those would have chosen Yiddish had that been on the list, considering the linguistic similarities between German and Yiddish, and the fact that German was the language of the empire, that number suggests a pretty sizable grasp of, and appreciation for, Polish in Galicia even three decades before the 1931 census. Considering how disproportionately Galician Jews contributed to that 13% in 1931, this can't be ignored, particularly considering the details i already presented, which I'll reiterate.

1. As noted by Mendelsohn, by 1931, most Polish Jewish children were in Polish language schools, and even among Hasidim, Polish was increasingly being spoken.
2. Once you accept the that De Sztrem tampered with census data, it's a little strange to ignore the strong probability that he would do so to weaken their position, in light of actual conditions in Poland in 1931. First of all, the Polish government in 1931, under Pilsudski, wasn't concerned with a "Jewish problem," they were concerned with a nationalities problem. And in this light, the problem wasn't too few Jews, or Ukrainians, or Germans, it was too many. Having been forced to sign the Minorities Treaty, the Polish government did all it could to ignore its dictates, and the to weaken the legislative strength of the minorities. That was a lot easier to do if there were fewer of them, Jews included. So while I would also disagree with you that they exaggerated the Jewish population later as well (both for the same reason, and because in Poland, where many cities were a third or more Jewish, you hardly had to exaggerate their numbers), I've certainly seen no evidence to suggest that they were doing so in 1931, which is the matter at hand. Madagascar, etc, were proposals of the late 30's, not the early 30's.

Moreover, the inflation of Polonized Jews in Galicia would seem to be precisely the sort of tampering that would be effective and fairly easy to do. Without actually increasing the number of Jews, you still succeed in downplaying the importance of Ukrainian in a heavily Ukrainian province, all by simply counting Polish as the mother tongue of Jews who actually do (based on the above info) speak the language.

I don't know enough about how they arrived at the numbers you cite for January 1942, but those numbers clearly don't tell us much about the population in September 1939, since by January 1942, in addition to tens of thousand of Jews who fled south rather than East, 25,000 Jewish POWs who died or were murdered in captivity,[url]http://www.zchor.org/meirtchak/biblio.htm/url] thousands of Jews in hiding, there were also tens of thousands of Jews who had been murdered (especially in 1941) and, one imagines, many Jews who had simply died of illness or starvation and the rigors of old age in that environment (not to mention the effects of higher infant mortality, and in all likehihood, lower birthrates). So if the German numbers suggest 3.1 million Jews in 1942 (which is already higher than the number you cited above:
Careful analysis of all the true data leads to the adoption of a maximum of 3 million Jews in Poland in 1939; the figure could indeed have been lower./quote]

the actual number of Jews in 1939 would have been higher still.

Incidentally, the source you just cited viewtopic.php?f=111&t=147213&p=1364901&hilit=marcus#p1364901 is the one I mentioned above that argues that there was considerable undercounting of the Polish Jewish population.

And simply as a matter of logic, your argument that the census would have exaggerated the number of Polish-speaking Jews in order to highlight the existence of a Jewish problem wouldn't even make sense in 1937. The argument about the Jewish problem was precisely that Jews were unassimilable. Here's from a declaration from the Peasant Party in 1935 (Mendelsohn, 72)
...all citizens in Poland irrespective of creed and nationality must enjoy equal rights. The Jews, however, as has been proved, cannot be assimilated and are a consciously alien nation within Poland...

It then goes on to argue about economic policy, and that while it supports the principle of equality for Jews, it hopes to send them elsewhere. The Jewish Problem, as perceived by Polish antisemites, wasn't like the Gifpilz in Germany, the assimilated Jew who tries to pass himself as one of the Volk and is dangerous because he pretends to be like you. Rather, he's the unassimilable outsider who cannot be assimilated and can never join the nation. In that context, inflating the number of Polonized Jews would only weaken the argument against the Jews.

Ultimately, we have a census in 1931 that puts the Jewish population at over 3.1 million, and so far, not real evidence has been presented to show that it should be lower. Given natural growth and the limited outlets for emigration in the 1930's, the figure of 3.3 million in 1939 is certainly not unreasonable, and if Marcus is right about undercounting, it could certainly be higher.

uberjude

Post by uberjude » 22 Nov 2009, 03:44

One caveat and one reinforcement on what I just posted.

Caveat--apparently, the linguistic question on the 1900 census was, as seems the norm, highly politicized, and there seems to have been some pressure on the part of Jews to pick Polish [url]http://books.google.com/books?id=hskSmw ... =false/url]

As a reinforcement, however, I also found a reference to the 1910 census, and Hasidic rabbis (the very "caftan Jews" Michael finds unlikely to speak Polish) instructing their followers to list Polish due to the anti-Jewish nationalist sentiments I mentioned earlier. (page 21 of the text)
[url]http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/catalog/ ... p1.pdf/url]

All in all, I think the lesson is that while there are any number of suspicious elements in the census data on Jewish language in 1931, the suspicions in question have more to do with the motives behind the classifications on parts of citizens, census takers, and statisticians then on the actual number of Polish Jews.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 24 Nov 2009, 03:12

All in all, I think the lesson is that while there are any number of suspicious elements in the census data on Jewish language in 1931, the suspicions in question have more to do with the motives behind the classifications on parts of citizens, census takers, and statisticians then on the actual number of Polish Jews.
Uberjude,

The crux of the matter is that neither of the two censi conducted by the inter-war Polish Government is trustworthy in regard to the balance of nationalities in Poland. It is fairly certain that the proportion of ethnic Poles was exaggerated, while those of ethnic Ukrainians, Belarusians and Germans were minimised, and that there was considerable falsification of the census results particularly in the eastern provinces, where non-Polish nationalities were concentrated. Exactly how the tampering with the census results affected the statistics for the Jewish minority cannot be known for certain, but the upshot is that the official numbers of Jews given in the 1931 census cannot be relied on an accurate source for extrapolating figures for other years such as 1939.

I have suggested taking the numbers recorded in German counts made in 1940, and extrapolating from them. The 1940 German counts were made by the various Jewish Councils on German orders, for the purpose of issuing rations, and therefore are unlikely to represent an undercounting.

Uberjude, have you actually read the book by Joseph Marcus? Indeed he does claim that the growth of the Jewish population during the 1930s has been underestimated, and that the Jewish population in 1939 was a lopt higher than assumed, but his views on that matter are considered somewhat quixotic by most historians. In brief, Marcus claimed that the Jewish birthrate was considerably higher during the 1930s than that posited by demographers, who conclude that the Jewish birthrate had dropped below that of the Polish population as a whole; he bases that claim on his contention that Jews followed a wide-spread practice of concealing births from the authorities, and that therefore the Jewish birth-rate was considerably understated. Because the Jewish birthrate was, in his view, higher than that recorded in the statistics, the Jewish population must have increased during the 1930s to a level higher than that generally believed. As stated, that view of Marcus is considered quixotic, and is certainly unproved.

The bottom line is that those who claim a Polish-Jewish population of as much as 3.5 million by 1939 (since there was no census in that year, there is no accurate figure, only estimates) base their claims on a number of different criteria. Some, such as Marcus, claim that there was a very high Jewish natural increase, an unproved assumption; others claim that there was a large net immigration of Jews to Poland in the inter-war period, which is a total falsification of history.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 24 Nov 2009, 03:57

I don't know enough about how they arrived at the numbers you cite for January 1942, but those numbers clearly don't tell us much about the population in September 1939, since by January 1942, in addition to tens of thousand of Jews who fled south rather than East, 25,000 Jewish POWs who died or were murdered in captivity,[url]http://www.zchor.org/meirtchak/biblio.htm/url] thousands of Jews in hiding, there were also tens of thousands of Jews who had been murdered (especially in 1941) and, one imagines, many Jews who had simply died of illness or starvation and the rigors of old age in that environment (not to mention the effects of higher infant mortality, and in all likehihood, lower birthrates).
Uberjude,

In 1940, the German occupiers carried out a census of the Jewish population of the four districts of the Generalgouvernement (Warsaw, Lublin, Radom, Krakow); the total number was found to be 1.3 million, which came as a surprise to the German authorities, who had expected the number to be higher. The German dicument recording the results of the census can be found in the book "Faschismus - Getto - Massenmord".

The figure I previously quoted for the now five districts of the Generalgouvernement in January 1942 was 1,770,635. If the figure for the Lemberg District, annexed in August 1941, 404,162, is deducted, we arrive at a figure of 1,366,473 for the four original districts. In other words, the same figure as in the 1940 census.

I suspect that the German figures for January 1942 were simply the figures of the 1940 census regurgitated, at least in the case of the four original districts. If there had been a substantial excess of mortality in those districts between 1940 and January 1942, that would mean that the actual number of Jews in those districts was in fact somewhat less than that shown in the official German figures. One likely reason why the official figures for January 1942 did no show any decrease since the census of 1940 is that the Jewish councils administering the Jewish ghettos simply did not report the surplus deaths to their German masters, so as not to lose the ration cards of the deceased.

The upshot is that the figures of January 1942 for the districts of Warsaw, Lublin, Radom and Krakow are a good reflection of the number of Jews living in those areas in September 1939. Thus the total figure for the original Generalgouvernment, plus those for the Warthegau, Upper Silesia and Zichenau (1,770,635 + 352,446 = 1,688,919), represents the number of Jews living in the German-occupied zone of Poland, less those who fled east across the demarcation line into the Soviet zone of occupation. Since the number of refugees who fled into the Soviet Zone is generally reckoned at 300,000, that would mean that the total Jewish population of the German Zone in September 1939 was of the order of two million.

Since the original Jewish population of the Soviet Zone is generally reckoned at 1.0 - 1.1 million (excluding the refugees), that would put the total Jewish population of Poland in 1939 at around 3.0 - 3.1 million.

The Jewish population of East Galicia in 1939 was almost certainly higher than the 404,162 recorded in the Lemberg District in January 1942. However, a large number of the Jews living in Soviet-occupied East Galicia were evacuated east just before or just after the German invasion. In addition, a large number were massacred by the German invaders in 1941, as Uberjude wrote. That would account for the reduction in numbers of about 100,000.

Thus, all the data point to a Jewish population of 3.0 -3.1 million in Poland in September 1939.

uberjude

Post by uberjude » 24 Nov 2009, 17:51

Michael, I agree with you that 3.5 is probably too high--I was only citing Marcus to suggest that the numbers were, if anything, higher than the official data. Whether they were actually higher, or how much higher, I don't know. I think that the usual numbers of 3.25-3.3 are reasonable.

As far as the German data, it seems to me that we have two (or 3 depending on whether or no '42 was separate or just, as you suggest, a rehashing of the earlier data) censuses, one taken in 1931 by a Polish government in peacetime conditions, another taken by the occupying German government in wartime conditions. As I've noted, the Polish government certainly had no reason to exaggerate the Jewish population in 1931, had good reasons to undercount minority populations, and I've seen no evidence to conclude that the numbers for Jews in 1931 should be discarded. Certainly, I'd need to see more evidence than just de Sztrem's report that there was tampering, since there's no reason to conclude that the tampering would have resulted in the overcounting minorities, which was completely contrary to Polish nationalist interests of the time.

As for the value of the 1931 census in estimating the 1939 population, barring major demographic shifts--immigration, emigration, epidemic, war, whatever--there's no reason to conclude that the population wouldn't have continued to grow. Marcus' theory may be wrong, but I don't think that many historians dispute that the Polish Jewish population did grow.

As for the German census, I see no reason to weigh a census taken in those conditions as more credible than the one taken in 1931. Even with the numbers you cite for 1940, there still would be tens of thousands who fled south (I've seen some estimates put it at 40,000, but I have no idea if that's accurate), 25,000 POWs who died, who knows how many Jews killed in the invasion and ensuing violence against Jews, increased mortality from wartime conditions, disease (typhus, for example, was apparently ten times worse in 1940 than it was in 1939 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 36,00.html, and was part of the pretext for ghettoization)and so on. And that's not taking into consideration simply the difficulties of getting an accurate count in those conditions. So again, even by those 1940 numbers, the actual number of Jews in 1939 had to be higher, so if you start with a benchmark of 3.1 million in 1940, it's not difficult to get to 3.25 million pretty quickly. So all in all, if I have two choose between these two censuses for establish a foundation for the Jewish population in Poland in 1939, I'll go along with most of the historians of the subject and go with the Polish one.

thom

Post by thom » 29 Nov 2009, 19:26

Michael you wrote
In 1940, the German occupiers carried out a census of the Jewish population of the four districts of the Generalgouvernement (Warsaw, Lublin, Radom, Krakow); the total number was found to be 1.3 million, which came as a surprise to the German authorities, who had expected the number to be higher. The German dicument recording the results of the census can be found in the book "Faschismus - Getto - Massenmord".

The figure I previously quoted for the now five districts of the Generalgouvernement in January 1942 was 1,770,635. If the figure for the Lemberg District, annexed in August 1941, 404,162, is deducted, we arrive at a figure of 1,366,473 for the four original districts. In other words, the same figure as in the 1940 census.
The first and only census in the GG was held on March 1, 1943, counting 203,679 Jews left after the deportations of the previous months. Actually, in the document of "Faschismus-Getto-Massenmord" you quote it says there were 1.6 million Jews in the GG in July 1940, compared with previous figures of 1.3 million (pre-war figures I suppose). The data for January 1942, quoted from "Dimension des Völkermords", is based on sources of the Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw, including testimonies. Their reliability remains questionable.
I suspect that the German figures for January 1942 were simply the figures of the 1940 census regurgitated, at least in the case of the four original districts. If there had been a substantial excess of mortality in those districts between 1940 and January 1942, that would mean that the actual number of Jews in those districts was in fact somewhat less than that shown in the official German figures.
Please check "Faschismus-Getto-Massenmord" again, particularly the table on the monthly mortality rates in the Warsaw getto. There was a five-fold increase in mortality in 1941 compared to the previous year. 40,000 excess deaths compared to 5,000.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 30 Nov 2009, 03:39

Actually, in the document of "Faschismus-Getto-Massenmord" you quote it says there were 1.6 million Jews in the GG in July 1940, compared with previous figures of 1.3 million (pre-war figures I suppose).
I was relying on my memory of the document in "Faschismus - Getto - Massenmord".

But my memory is that the document listed the figures for each of the then four districts of the Generalgouvernement (Warsaw, Lublin, Radom. Krakow), and that the total came to 1.3 million.

The document then expressed surprise that the total was only 1.3 million, whereas it ought to be 1.6 million.

I presume that the presumption by the German composers of the document that the total should have been 1.6 million was based on the figures in the 1931 Polish census or subsequent Polish official estimates covering the area that became the Generalgouvernement. The shortfall between the German expectation and the actual figure might be accounted for by:

1. Possible overcounting in the 1931 census or in subsequent Polish official estimates;
2. Jewish emigration between 1931 and 1939; and
3. The flight of Jews from the German into the Soviet Zone after September 1939 (which was promoted, even forced, by the German occupiers).

From my recollection, the document did not say how the figures quoted in it were derived. I presume the German authorities asked the Jewish Councils under their control to provide them. Maybe they were based on ration figures.

If the reliability of the figures quoted in "Dimension des Völkermords" for January 1942 is questioned, on what side are they thought to err? Underestimate? Overestimate?

There was of course also expulsion from the Annexed Eastern Territories into the Generalgouvernement, particularly into District Lublin. That would mean that the January 1942 figures for the Annexed Eastern Territories (Danzig-Westpreussen, Wartheland, Ostoberschlesien, Zichenau) would have been a deal less than those for September 1939.

uberjude

Post by uberjude » 30 Nov 2009, 04:34

So now we don't even have a 1940 census to compete with the 1931 census, just a figure whose provenance we can't quite pin down, and about the methodology of which we have no clue. Your case isn't getting any better. But since you seem to have a certain respect for German efficiency, I'll offer the Korherr Report, which, though it was produced in 1943, presents the estimates for what the Jewish population of Poland was in 1937. Apparently, Korherr didn't get the memo from Poland, because he gives a figure of 3.3 million, in 1937.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=2097

I'm not saying this number is accurate; but the fact that the official Reich statistics in 1943 don't give credence to your 1940 numbers should give some pause for consideration.

thom

Post by thom » 01 Dec 2009, 21:57

But my memory is that the document listed the figures for each of the then four districts of the Generalgouvernement (Warsaw, Lublin, Radom. Krakow), and that the total came to 1.3 million.
The document then expressed surprise that the total was only 1.3 million, whereas it ought to be 1.6 million.
I checked the document again. It says: "Today there are living in the area of the GG 1.6 million Jews. Previous official counts gave about 1.3 million. This latter figure includes the districts of Krakau (200,000), Radom (310,000), Warschau (540,000), Lublin (250,000)." I could not find any word in the document about the higher figure being a surprise to the German authorities. Other sources indeed show that German estimates of 1940 were even as high as 1.7 million. For example, in the article "Die Judenfrage im Generalgouvernement als Bevölkerungsproblem", published in Die Burg, Vol. 1 (1940), p. 56-62, the following estimate for 1 July 1940 is given:

Jews in the GG in 1931: 1,270,000
Natural Increase: + 125,000
Emigration: - 45,000
Inflow to the GG from Western Poland during the war: + 60,000
Outflow from the GG to the Soviet zone of interest and abroad: - 40,000
Immigration from the annexed territories after the war: + 330,000
Estimated number of Jews in the GG on 1 July 1940: 1,700,000

The most authoritive estimate of the Jewish population of Poland in 1939 is, in my opinion, the one by the exiled Polish government. In its "Concise Statistical Yearbook' 1939-1941, published in London 1941, it gives the following figures for the Jewish population (9 Dec. 1931/31 Aug. 1939, in 1,000):

Poland: 3,136/3,351
Occupied by Germany: 1,914/2,042
- Annexed Territories: 599/641
- Generalgouvernement: 1,315/1,401
- To Slovakia: 0/0
Occupied by USSR: 1,222/1,309
- Lithuania: 69/75
- Belorussia: 409/440
- Ukraine: 744/794

herveus

Post by herveus » 02 Dec 2009, 02:14

Here are some figures to add to the mix which may be of some use. Taken from "The German New Order in Poland" published for the Polish Ministry of Information in London in 1941.
Attachments
poland_a.jpg
poland_a.jpg (225.1 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

herveus

Post by herveus » 02 Dec 2009, 02:15

Next page.
Attachments
poland_b.jpg
poland_b.jpg (210.45 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

herveus

Post by herveus » 02 Dec 2009, 02:15

Final page.
Attachments
poland_c.jpg
poland_c.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

thom

Post by thom » 04 Dec 2009, 20:51

In an article from the end of 1940, Seraphim revised his figures for the districts of the GG slightly, perhaps due to border changes:

Krakau 342,000
Radom 412,000
Warsaw 498,000
Lublin 448,000

The total is still at 1.7 million (see: Deutsche Monatshefte, Nov/Dec 1940, Issue 5/6, p. 184).

henryk

Post by henryk » 04 Dec 2009, 23:09

Attaching data to a place name in Poland is very tricky unless a full specification is given. Pre-1949 the provinces (województwo) had the name of the capital. The county (powiat), that the capital was in, had the name of the capital. Thus in pre-1999 Poland, there was województwo (province) Krakow, miasto (city) Powiat Krakow, and ziemniki (district?) powiat Krakow, which is the area immediately around the city Krakow.
Still, in pre-war Poland, Radom was not a province. Thus I do not understand the large difference in Jewish population given in the two messages: 412,000 and 30,000.
I don't know what "administrative district" means.

Corrected 2009/12/07 to eliminate references to gmina.
Last edited by henryk on 07 Dec 2009, 22:51, edited 2 times in total.

herveus

Post by herveus » 05 Dec 2009, 00:16

henryk wrote:...I do not understand the large difference in Jewish population given in the two messages: 412,000 and 30,000. I don't know what "administrative district" means.
"Neither do I" is my answer to both of the above.

I have no idea if the figures are accurate or made up. I put them into the mix as a scan from a contemporary document simply as an indication of the figures that the Polish Ministry of Information in London presented to the world in 1941.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”