Central Registry of War Criminals

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Phil Nix
In memoriam

Central Registry of War Criminals

Post by Phil Nix » 17 Sep 2010, 12:54

Here is the first page of this listing. If of interest can carry on posting pages
Phil NIx
Attachments
central registry war crimes.jpg
central registry war crimes.jpg (208.38 KiB) Viewed 7047 times

George_W

Re: Central Registry of War Criminals

Post by George_W » 17 Sep 2010, 14:25

Hello

Thank you for posting.
It would be great to see another pages.

George

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 17 Sep 2010, 14:34

Thanks, Phil. I think this would be very interesting to our readers. Where did it come from?

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 17 Sep 2010, 14:46

Here are the next two pages I have had these pages since 1970's and I cant remember from where
Phil Nix
Attachments
central registry war crimes 1.jpg
central registry war crimes 1.jpg (426.9 KiB) Viewed 7027 times

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 17 Sep 2010, 14:47

Hello Phil,

I would be most interested in the source of this registry. Also, do you know what the codes at the last two rows ("Reason Wanted" For, By) means?

Panzermahn

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 18 Sep 2010, 19:43

Page 2
Attachments
central registry war crimes 2.jpg
central registry war crimes 2.jpg (400.18 KiB) Viewed 6995 times

ansata1976

Post by ansata1976 » 18 Sep 2010, 20:57

The codes at the last two rows ;

0 security suspect

Crimes against Civilians:

1 Murder (includes all killing, e.g. homicide, shooting, burning)
2 Arson
3 Torture
4 Rape
5 Looting(includes pillage, destruction of religious and historical monuments, and other property)
6 Miscanellaneous (includes forced labour, violation of conventions and deportation)

Crimes against Military:

7 Murder (includes all killing, e.g. homicide, shooting, burning)
8 Torture
9 Miscanellaneous (includes violation of conventions)
x Witness

In this book are more than 1 Million names( 546 pages).

The name of the book is:

"Wanted- Die Fahndungsliste der US-Amerikaner 1945"
Druffel Dokumentation
Druffel Verlag in Stegen am Ammersee

I have a version of 2002.

Sometimes it is possible to order this book in amazon.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 19 Sep 2010, 07:24

Hi Ansata1976

Thanks a lot for your explanation! But there is another thing I am still not yet sure. Most of the names had the codes "00" and "00" in the last two rows, so why are they still listed as "war criminals" index registry?

Also, the title of the book you mentioned is "Wanted- Die Fahndungsliste der US-Amerikaner 1945", which means The Search List of the US-American 1945 which made me thinks that it is a search list of wanted personnel of the German units and agencies, not really a list of confirmed war criminals?

Or maybe the search list for personnel intended for denazification?

Panzermahn

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 19 Sep 2010, 19:31

Panzermahn -- You wrote:
Also, the title of the book you mentioned is "Wanted- Die Fahndungsliste der US-Amerikaner 1945", which means The Search List of the US-American 1945 which made me thinks that it is a search list of wanted personnel of the German units and agencies, not really a list of confirmed war criminals?

Or maybe the search list for personnel intended for denazification?
It's a list of persons to be detained and held for further disposition if captured by US troops or discovered in the US zone. From the index code you can see the categories -- some are suspects in US war crimes investigations, some are suspects in the war crimes investigations of other countries, some are "security suspects," and some are prospective witnesses.

dylan

Post by dylan » 19 Sep 2010, 20:21

The first Crowcass list is published in may 1945 and was an amalgamation of the Unwcc list and eighty thousand names in SHAEF's personality black list.
Those listed by Shaef were invariably merely suspected of being Nazis or Nazi collaborators.
Those names where collected between 1941-1945 by Us Intelligence service.
This list is published in bookform in 2002 as Wanted! Die Fahndungsliste der Us-Amerikaner 1945.
2 parts A - L with 615 pages and M - Z with 546 pages, each page contain about 80 names so total around 85 a 90000
names not one million.
Many names are listed twice or three times or even more(some times different writing).
One example Dr Hans Frank 5 times listed.

Dylan.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 20 Sep 2010, 02:18

So the description "central registry of war criminals" is a gross misrepresentation.

It is simply a list of persons to be detained for one reason or another.

I think posters should strive for accuracy rather than sensationalism in their descriptions of data.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 20 Sep 2010, 02:24

Michael -- You wrote:
So the description "central registry of war criminals" is a gross misrepresentation.

I think posters should strive for accuracy rather than sensationalism in their descriptions of data.
There's no need to get personal about it. The title is just a tag of convenience, which can be easily seen by reference to the text. As for poster accuracy, all we know about the title is contained in the German translation, which may or may not be accurate itself. As for the content, we welcome it, but we don't welcome bumptious poster comments complaining about some trivial detail. Our object here to to provide useful information for our readers, not to discourage it.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 20 Sep 2010, 06:51

David Thompson wrote:Michael -- You wrote:

There's no need to get personal about it. The title is just a tag of convenience, which can be easily seen by reference to the text. As for poster accuracy, all we know about the title is contained in the German translation, which may or may not be accurate itself. As for the content, we welcome it, but we don't welcome bumptious poster comments complaining about some trivial detail. Our object here to to provide useful information for our readers, not to discourage it.
Hi David

With all respect, I don't think it's a trivial matter by what Michael has said since the codes explanation by Ansata1976 reflects that this is a list of wanted Axis personnel by the US rather than a list of war criminals since you mentioned that it also contained a list of prospective Axis witnesses.

May I suggest the title of this topic to be changed to "Central Registry of Wanted Axis Personnel" to accurately reflect the content of the documents posted by Phil?

Thanks
Panzermahn

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 20 Sep 2010, 07:39

Panzermahn wrote:
David Thompson wrote:Michael -- You wrote:

Hi David

With all respect, I don't think it's a trivial matter by what Michael has said since the codes explanation by Ansata1976 reflects that this is a list of wanted Axis personnel by the US rather than a list of war criminals since you mentioned that it also contained a list of prospective Axis witnesses.

May I suggest the title of this topic to be changed to "Central Registry of Wanted Axis Personnel" to accurately reflect the content of the documents posted by Phil?

Thanks
Panzermahn
This is the Central Registry of War Criminals and Security Suspects (CROWCASS) list.

If anything, the subject line should be changed to read that. However, I concur with David. There is no need to change it. If we change every subject line because of errors we would spend too much time engaged in that pursuit. I think the real reason for concern is not in historical accuracy per se, but in the usual apologetics encountered here.

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 20 Sep 2010, 12:04

michael mills wrote:So the description "central registry of war criminals" is a gross misrepresentation.

I am annoyed about the above comment as the title was the title used by the authorities at the end of the war. So stop making unwanted comments
Phil Nix

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”