Revisionists vs. Belivers

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Cletus

Revisionists vs. Belivers

Post by Cletus » 23 Apr 2002, 17:59

I am new to this forum and I must admit I am quite intrigued by the recent discussions regarding the Holocaust.

I have noticed a few trends that appear time and again in posts.

1. Anyone who doesn't toe the party line when it comes to the Holocaust is immediately attacked as a denier.

2. When everyone agrees that inforation is wrong, or is inacurate or was ammended years ago, the person who introduced it is still branded a denier.

3. Deniers assume that if one document is innacurate/wrong/false/misleading, they assume ALL documents are.

4. Believers assume that if a document is wrong, no others can be wrong, and the document in question is proof of nothing.

What disturbs me about these trends if that it seems no one is allowed to question anything. If I said the Holocaust happened, Millions of people died, it should never happen again, but how sure are historians on the number 6 million? I would likely be attacked as a denier.

This bothers me because I was taught to question things, find multiple sources, and try to have a balance view. This topic borders on the, "if you're not for us, you're against us" mentality.

I don't feel anyone can seriously deny the Holocaust, that would be immoral and dangerous, but I find it equally dangerous to slap down any questioning of the details by discrediting the poster as a denier or worse.

There are three sides to every issue. Yours, mine, and the truth.

Cletus :|

tonyh

re

Post by tonyh » 23 Apr 2002, 18:27

Agreed Cletus. One thing that keeps me interested in what the Revisionist writers have to say is the very fact that they state that they don't have all the answers and that they indeed could be wrong on a great deal many things, but their message is usually "...don't believe everything your told". This kind of statement one just does not get from the "other side" as it were. The likes of Lipstadt says that there is "no debate" and that she and her cronies have "all the answers"

People who spout dogma automatically make me wary of what they are saying. Nobody has ALL the answers on any historical event and debate ALWAYS exists.

Tony

Roberto

Re: Revisionists vs. Belivers

Post by Roberto » 23 Apr 2002, 19:12

Cletus wrote:I am new to this forum and I must admit I am quite intrigued by the recent discussions regarding the Holocaust.

I have noticed a few trends that appear time and again in posts.
Let's hear, then.
1. Anyone who doesn't toe the party line when it comes to the Holocaust is immediately attacked as a denier.
First thing, there is no such thing as a "party line" when it comes to the Holocaust. There is the historical record based on the assessment of evidence by criminal justice authorities and historians over the last five and a half decades. Second thing, I don't tend to call anyone who denies that record a "denier". Such a person is usually defending an ideologically motivated belief against inconvenient evidence, for which reason the term "Believer" is far more appropriate.
2. When everyone agrees that inforation is wrong, or is inacurate or was ammended years ago, the person who introduced it is still branded a denier.
I wonder if you can provide any examples. What usually happens is that the Believers who inappropriately call themselves "Revisionists" make a big bloody fuss about inaccuracies in regard to minor details, regardless of whether and how long ago they have been dismissed by historiography or were ever considered part of the historical record.
3. Deniers assume that if one document is innacurate/wrong/false/misleading, they assume ALL documents are.
That's actually the most hilarious showpiece of the utter imbecility of the Believers who call themselves "Revisionists". Or can you explain why you think there is any reason and logic behind this kind of thinking?
4. Believers assume that if a document is wrong, no others can be wrong, and the document in question is proof of nothing.
Well, reasonable observers of history - the Believers are the ones who call themselves "Revisionists" - are aware that every document is a case in itself and that the inaccuracy or lack of authenticity of a given document says nothing at all about the accuracy or authenticity of any other.
What disturbs me about these trends if that it seems no one is allowed to question anything.
On the contrary, everyone is allowed to question everything, on this forum at least. If your questions are based on evidence and reasonable arguments rather than thin air and wishful thinking - which unfortunately is not the case with "Revisionist" arguments -, they even stand a good chance of being taken seriously.
If I said the Holocaust happened, Millions of people died, it should never happen again, but how sure are historians on the number 6 million?
If you want to know, I suggest you do some reading of the seminal literature on the subject, where the documentary evidence and demographic calculations on which the estimates of 5 to 6 million Jewish victims are based are explained in detail. I suggest the study Dimensionen des Völkermords, edited by German historian Wolfgang Benz, as a starting point.
I would likely be attacked as a denier.
As a Believer, as far as I'm concerned. Depends on the substantiation and reasonability of your objections, once again.
This bothers me because I was taught to question things, find multiple sources, and try to have a balance view. This topic borders on the, "if you're not for us, you're against us" mentality.
The issue is that a challenge to an established historical record in regard to a certain event or phenomenon, be it the Holocaust or the Irish Potato Famine, should be based on evidence, reasonable arguments and sustainable hypotheses if it is to be recognized some merit and not dismissed as nonsense at best and ideologically motivated polemics at worst.
I don't feel anyone can seriously deny the Holocaust, that would be immoral and dangerous,
Whether it's imoral and dangerous is a matter of opinion. What is certain is that it's blatant nonsense.
but I find it equally dangerous to slap down any questioning of the details by discrediting the poster as a denier or worse.
I agree. To the extent that questioning of the details is relevant and reasonable, the suspicion that the poster is a "Revisionist" Believer and does not have a genuine interest in such details is not warranted.
There are three sides to every issue. Yours, mine, and the truth.
The assumption underlying the above is that both "sides" are pursuing an ideological agenda. From what I have seen on this forum, however, there usually is only one side - that of the "Revisionist" Believers - trying to push through a version of history that is at odds with the facts, whereas the other simply follows the evidence where it leads and exposes the attempted distortions of the proven record of events.

By the way, I remember having run across your posting name on the Codoh BBS. It was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm wrong. Still, your name sounds familiar to me.
Last edited by Roberto on 23 Apr 2002, 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

Charles Bunch

Re: re

Post by Charles Bunch » 23 Apr 2002, 19:27

Agreed Cletus. One thing that keeps me interested in what the Revisionist writers have to say is the very fact that they state that they don't have all the answers and that they indeed could be wrong on a great deal many things, but their message is usually "...don't believe everything your told".
Oh, of course, and the fact that this skepticism concerning proven historical facts is focused exclusively on the Holocaust just happens to be a coincidence.
This kind of statement one just does not get from the "other side" as it were.
Denial of history is not a side, it is mindless propaganda. Just because the denier offers his ignorance as a sign of open minded objectivity doesn't mean the evidence of his words should be ignored.
The likes of Lipstadt says that there is "no debate" and that she and her cronies have "all the answers"
Of course there isn't a debate among historians, or educated people generally. The "debaters" are a puny band of misfits, usually Jew haters, whose arguments inevitably reduce to denying all the evidence. Lipstadt and other historians are not going to waste their time debating know nothings.

People who spout dogma automatically make me wary of what they are saying.
And people who label historical facts as dogma are committing the very act they accuse others of.

Cletus

Thanks, You proved my point.

Post by Cletus » 23 Apr 2002, 20:38

The first person who responded to my post stated that revisisionists state that they don't have all the answers and they could be wrong on a great many things. A revisionist may question things but a denier says they never happened. My point was that people who question things are labelled deniers.

I'm sorry I called people who do not question the events of the Holocaust believers. I should have called them deniers of the deniers.

My original point was that both sides don't listen to what the other side is saying but instinctively react emotionally to the post.

Quote:
That's actually the most hilarious showpiece of the utter imbecility of the Believers who call themselves "Revisionists". Or can you explain why you think there is any reason and logic behind this kind of thinking?

I never said there was any reason or logic behind this thinking. I said that this is what deniers or revisionists as you like to call them do with their information. There is no logic behind this thinking. My original post was not intended to slant towards one side or the other. It was just my observations on the direction that many discussions of this topic seem to take.

Quote:
By the way, I remember having run across your posting name on the Codoh BBS. It was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm wrong. Still, your name sounds familiar to me.

I find it interesting that you associate my name with a revisionist/denier website even though you don't know me, I've never posted here,there or at any other sites. This further proves my point that at the slightest deviation from certain people's point of view one can be labelled.

(I understand codoh is a revisionist/denier site based on what has been presented on this forum.)

Cletus

Dan

Post by Dan » 23 Apr 2002, 21:03

Hi Cletus, welcome. Here's the CODOH link:http://www.codoh.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Best
Dan

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 23 Apr 2002, 21:17

The first person who responded to my post stated that revisisionists state that they don't have all the answers and they could be wrong on a great many things.
Yes, that’s one of their herrings. Contrary to this statement, they actually seem to know everything – namely that certain things inconvenient to their party line never happened, whatever the evidence that they did happen.
A revisionist may question things but a denier says they never happened.
When the questioning is based on nothing other that nonsensical considerations, wishful thinking and distortion/misrepresentation of evidence, the difference is scant and the revisionist becomes a “Revisionist”.
My point was that people who question things are labelled deniers.
That point is simply wrong. Reasonable and substantiated questioning will never be labeled denial.
I'm sorry I called people who do not question the events of the Holocaust believers. I should have called them deniers of the deniers.
No, you should have called them reasonable people who objectively follow the evidence where it leads and have no ideological axe to grind.
My original point was that both sides don't listen to what the other side is saying but instinctively react emotionally to the post.
For which there is a good reason. The “Revisionists” adhere to pre-conceived notions that have the quality of quasi-religious dogmas they won’t allow to be challenged. Their opponents, on the other hand, simply get tired of listening to the same beaten articles of faith after a while. Try listening to “Revisionists” for one and a half years like I have, and you’ll understand what I mean.

Quote:

I never said there was any reason or logic behind this thinking. I said that this is what deniers or revisionists as you like to call them do with their information. There is no logic behind this thinking. My original post was not intended to slant towards one side or the other. It was just my observations on the direction that many discussions of this topic seem to take.
I appreciate your statement that there is no logic behind this thinking. It shows that there is some in you.
Quote:

I find it interesting that you associate my name with a revisionist/denier website even though you don't know me.
I've never posted here, there or at any other sites. This further proves my point that at the slightest deviation from certain people's point of view one can be labelled.
I didn’t label you. I just said your name sounded familiar to me. Believe it or not, not only “Revisionists” post on Codoh. I have extensively posted there myself on occasion, my efforts always ending with the moderator feeling threatened by my posts and accordingly proceeding to a systematic censorship that belies the promise of “open debate” contained in the name of the organization.
(I understand codoh is a revisionist/denier site based on what has been presented on this forum.)
It’s a “Revisionist” site dedicated to Holocaust denial, as a matter of fact. You may find the main site under

http://www.codoh.com/

and the discussion forum under

http://www.codoh.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dc ... =DCConfID1

Have a look.

MVSNConsolegenerale

Holocaust Denial...

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 23 Apr 2002, 22:38

My Academic area of expertise is in psychology and biology.

I've always found it interesting how Neo-Nazi's find it so absolutely necessary to deny the holocaust. From their position it should make complete sense on a number of levels. Let's not forget what Adolf Hitler said in My Struggle, and what he repeatedly said during the summer of 38-39.

The issue here is how accurate the information we have on the holocaust. Yes it could have been anything from four to seven million, but people should not try to deny that it ever happened. It is obvious, from the mindset of the Nazi Regime it makes perfect sense; inferior races equal destruction of master race, therefore get rid of them!

I actually have a friend who is interested in Neo-Nazi organizations as they relate to rewriting the happenings of the War. It is his opinion that neo-nazi's really don't disbelieve that the holocaust happened and holocaust denial is really a propaganda scheme aiming at misinforming the public.

I was going to put a link on, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put ones to neo-nazi sites. It is hosted by a physics PhD major who admits just as much in one of his speeches. In other words, some evidence from their own mouths!

Cletus

The CODOH site and a question

Post by Cletus » 23 Apr 2002, 23:53

I must say that I have no doubts that the holocaust occured. I have just been reading some recent posts and noticed an interesting phenomenon.

I checked out the CODOH site. It was borderline scary. I also noticed that things were reversed and it was the "anti revisionist" posters being labelled and attcked. Thank you for the link!

One thing I have noticed is the Revisionists tendancy to quote common knowledge and "everyone knows that" types of evidence while people who accept the Holocaust occured have mountains of specific sources of information to back it up. If they (revisionists) do have any sources, they seem suspect to say the least.

My question is this. If the number murdered in the Holocaust was arrived at by decucting the missing from the census,and this is regarded as an acceptable method, why is it that when that method is applied to German Pow's it is not accpetable?

Is this an overly simplistic view of extremely complex events?

Cletus

Dan

Re: Holocaust Denial...

Post by Dan » 24 Apr 2002, 01:21

The issue here is how accurate the information we have on the holocaust. Yes it could have been anything from four to seven million, but people should not try to deny that it ever happened
You're new, so you should know that this statement makes you a holocaust denier.

Dan[/quote]

Snafu

Post by Snafu » 24 Apr 2002, 03:07

I remember in the summer of 1999 I visited a revisionist website for the first time and then Nizkor for an explanation. I had a good laugh at those wierd revisionists and forgot all about it.

It seems such a long time ago.

One impression has remained the same though and that adheres to the pile of corpses in the Dachau Crematorium. It was sickening.

Don't let Medi the Reptile pour poison in your ear, Cletus. Stay with the open attitude. As you said earlier, there are three sides to every issue, yours, mine and the truth. And who knows, maybe it's the revisionists who got it all wrong from the beginning?
(The day that happens I'm gonna feel mighty dumb, that's for sure).

What I dislike about revisionism is that many who takes that stand actually seems more interested in grumbling about World Jewry than trying to find out what really happened. You'll partly find that at CODOH and a lot of sites it links to. But there's also another side of the issue. No fire no smoke - perhaps there is just that much abuse you can take before you get a lot of crazy ideas?

What I hope for is that someday people like Medijoergen and Hans will be willing to discuss the holocaust as an historical problem like any other. Even if it's controversial today. I mean that for once they could say things like: "well that do seems odd, but...". That's what the issue actually deserves. There can be no questions in the field of historical science that are so stupid that you should not be allowed ask them.

Just my two cents. I now dislodge in order to let Medi and his friends heap suspicion, slander and abuse on my opinions and person. :roll:

Scott Smith

SKEPTICS...

Post by Scott Smith » 24 Apr 2002, 04:33

I say over and over again, ad nauseam, that I DON'T have all the answers. I don't quibble with the 5.1 million figure used by Hilberg because I am not interested in demographics or body-counts. But basically, anyone who contends that less than six-million were killed is a Denier or worse.

I do doubt many of the atrocity tales, and in particular I think the diesel gaschamber and murder-van claims are outright lies. I have almost zero confidence in the Nuremberg trials, held by the victorious Allies after the war, in getting at the truth. In Germany and France today is is illegal to doubt the Holocaust. If you don't swallow it whole you are a Denier or worse.
8O

MVSNConsolegenerale

5.1, 4.0,6.0 - Jews...not total deaths!

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 24 Apr 2002, 05:13

When I before stated that 5.7 was the probable account...i meant of Jews...not in the total dead. That is somewhere around 12 in my opinion - Gypsies, Russian Inteligencia, Homosexuals, etc.

tonyh

re

Post by tonyh » 24 Apr 2002, 13:11

>>A revisionist may question things but a denier says they never happened.<<

I have yet to see any revisionist say this. In fact I have yet to see anyone at all say that the holocaust never happened. But the problem with the "holocaust denier" slander is that it is too broad a brush. So therefore if someone says that "did six million really die? or was it lower?", then this is red rags for people to shout and rant "holocaust denier" at the person who spoke those words, kinda like the body snatcher people in the remake of "invasion of the body snatchers".

Its a catchphrase, pure and simple, rather like "holocaust" itself. Its a trademark.

Its simply a way to get people to shut up, or face the slander. In the process there are many people with ligitimate questions regarding the series of events called the "holocaust" who are wrongly branded "holocaust denier".

Tony

Charles Bunch

Re: re

Post by Charles Bunch » 24 Apr 2002, 16:54

>>A revisionist may question things but a denier says they never happened.

>I have yet to see any revisionist say this. In fact I have yet to see anyone at all say that the holocaust never happened. But the problem with the "holocaust denier" slander is that it is too broad a brush. So therefore if someone says that "did six million really die? or was it lower?", then this is red rags for people to shout and rant "holocaust denier" at the person who spoke those words, kinda like the body snatcher people in the remake of "invasion of the body snatchers".

Of course that's nonsense. No one is called a denier for thinking the total might be less. People are called deniers for denying the Holocaust, an event involving attempted genocide of Jews, with methods including gas chambers, and resulting in deaths on the order of 6 million. Deniers exhibit by their words that they deny the Holocaust when they deny these core components, so claiming they do not deny the Holocaust is merely dishonest semantical games.

>Its simply a way to get people to shut up, or face the slander.

It's an accurate description of people whose very words condemn them and whose motivations are invariably hatred of Jews.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”