Sobibor staff

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Schmauser

My Research

Post by Schmauser » 30 Apr 2002, 19:09

ok guys lets try and work this out, i'm posting below all of the known SS Guards who worked at Sobibor and i'll include their fates, If you contribute aswell maybe we can work out who was killed during the revolt and who survived.

SS Commandants : None of the Commandants were killed during the revolt but all were killed and died none the less. Stangl died awaiting trial on the 28th June 1971, Thomalla was Executed by the Soviets on the 12th July 1945 & Reichleitner was Assassinated by Italian Partisans on the 3rd January 1944.

SS Guards : Eleven SS Guards were killed and yet more names keep croping up. Several are undoubtably correct, Niemann, Wolf, Beckmann, Vallaster, Ryba & Steffl are names I have found on more than one web page.

SS Unterscharführer Walter Ryba (I believe Ryba was the first to be killed)

SS Untersturmführer Josef Niemann (There is no doubt that Niemann was killed)

SS Scharführer Siegfried Greischutz (Greischutz's name is spelt differently but the is no doubt he was killed)

SS Unterscharführer Josef Wolf (There was now doubt that Josef Wolf was killed and that his brother survived)

SS Oberscharführer Kurt - Rudolf Beckmann (There is no doubt that Beckmann was killed)

SS Scharführer Josef Vallaster (There is no doubt that Vallaster was killed)

SS Scharführer Friedrich Gaulstich (Gaulstich's name is spelt differently but the is no doubt he was killed)

SS Unterscharführer Thomas Steffl (There is no doubt that Steffl was killed)

SS Rottenführer Karl Steubel (I have found Steubels name on only one web page and i'm not entirely sure about him)

SS Untercharführer Fritz Konrad (I'm not too sure about Konrad)

SS Obercharführer Maximilian Bree (According to a link I found Bree was killed)

SS Obercharführer Anton Nowak (According to member Thomas, Nowak was killed in the revolt, but I haven't found any proof of this anywhere on the net)

Now that is twelve names so one of them was alive and kicking after the revolt

Ukrainian SS Guards : Since ony two Ukrainian guards were killed, and yet I have found three names, I believe Schreiber and Klat to be the two names that are correct.

SS Wachmann Klaus Schreiber (According to member Thomas, Schreiber was killed, isntead of Albert Kaiser who I found from a link)

SS Wachmann Josef Klat (Klat was killed however his christian name is in doubt, it was either Josef or Ivan)

SS Wachmann Albert Kaiser (I have found a link saying he was killed, however i'm not too sure)

Others who served at Sobibor : Several others were wounded and many on my list were transfered before the revolt happened, so I'm only going to include those who were present at the time it happened.

SS Obercharführer Werner Dubious (Dubious was severly wounded but survived the war and was sentenced by a West German court)

SS Obercharführer Hermann Michel (Michel was Arrested by GI's but was released early and dissapeared)

SS Oberwachmeister Arthur Daschel (Daschel Dissapeared in 1945)

SS Obercharführer Kurt Bolender (Committed Suicide in Prison in December 1965)

SS Obercharführer Karl Frenzel (Sentenced to Life Imprisonment)

SS Obercharführer Erich Bauer (Died in Prison in 1980)

I am thinking since Thomas has written proof of the names he listed, that those names are correct, so Instead of Max Bree, I'm thinking Anton Nowak is more correct and Instead of Albert Kaiser, Klaus Schreiber is the right one. However Thomas's list is missing one name. That name is the other one I'm not sure about which is Karl Steubel. I'm not sure about Researchers two SS Guards, maybe they were from the Treblinka camp, as it is possible to get the two mixed up, such as Herbert Floss, he was a guard at Treblinka and was killed after the Treblinka Uprising, and had nothing to do with the Sobibor Revolt. Hope you all agree with me.

~Regards Schmauser

thomas

Nowak and Floss

Post by thomas » 01 May 2002, 11:38

Dear researcher

I have 3 comments to give:

1. The book gaves the christian name of Nowak with Walter and not Anton. As i mentionned earlier.

2. Herbert Floss was killed by Wasil Hetmaniec between Chelm and Zawadowka. Hetmaniec there were 29 other ukrainian guards. So maybe the Albert Kaiser were with them. Because 25 of the 30 were catched later and brought to Trawniki. Thpmas Toivi Blatt, who had written the book has a copie of the original report about the killing of Herbert Floss in his archive. So i think he came maybe after the uprising of Sobibor from Treblinka and had the order to bring the ukrainian guards to Trawniki.

3. In the book there are more names which served in Sobibior. But i can not tell you with every men if it is a SS-men:

a) Hubert Gomerski. He survived because he was in vacation at that time
b) Hans Heinz Schütz, he was the administrative commander of the camp. He took all expensive things from the naked persons.
c) Erich Gustav Willi Lachmann. He was an chef of the ukrainian Gurads. 1966 he had a process in Hagen, Germany and the judge said that he is intelligence is very low, so he was not sentenced. If you give this "picture" the law says thaat you are not able to understand what you do.
d) Gustav Franz Wagner. He disappeared after the war and was found by Simon Wiesenthal 1978 in Brazil. 1980 he suicide him self in the prison.

e) Paul Johannes Groth, SS-Unterscharführer, was the supervsior of the selecting clothes in camp 2.
f) Willi Wendland. Was Supervisor in the selectionbaracks.
g) Karl Richter.

It could be that some of them were not any more in the camp fo Sobibor after the april 28, 1943. When Thomas Toivi Blatt cam in the camp. Fore sure it is only Willi Wendland and Karl Richter.

For me it seems realistic, because the author has a original copie of the report and he writes in his books some pages earlier "...Die sches noch lebenden Deutschen - Erich Bauer, Karl Richter, Karl Frenzel, Willi Wendland, Herbert Floss und Franz Wolf - versuchten ....".
So Floss had come earlier to Sobibor.

Thomas Toivi Blatt gives only 10 killed SS-men not Steubel and not Bree.
In the hole book is not a word about these two mens. Mabe the left Sobibor before april 28, 1943. Because april 28, 29 or 30. Thomas Toivi Blatt cam in the camp Sobibor. He was caught the april 28, 1943 in Izbica, the village he lived before.

Greetings

thomas

Researcher

Sobibor Revolt and Albert Kaiser

Post by Researcher » 01 May 2002, 21:07

Hi thomas / Schmauser
I have to go with the names on the official list since neither of you have the same 11 as me. I am sure Blatt contributed to the Rasche book in 95 but maybe researched more for his own effort.
Still have a nagging doubt though. According to my old notes, Ukranian guard Albert Kaiser was killed by escaping prisoners at 5:10pm. That's one accurate mistake.

Schmauser - can you confirm Thomalla's execution date - I have 12 May
Best regards

Schmauser

Richard Thomalla

Post by Schmauser » 01 May 2002, 21:27

I got that date from this link, it says 12 maggio 1945, and I tried to translate it and I got maggio as July, my Italian is crap and so was the translation so I could be wrong.

http://www.olokaustos.org/bionazi/leaders/thomalla.htm

Richard Thomalla

~Best Regards Schmauser

Schmauser

Sobibor Pictures

Post by Schmauser » 02 May 2002, 02:18

I am interested in aquiring pictures of those who served at Sobibor. I have got hardly any, so hopefully some of you guys & gals might be able to help me.

Franz Stangl

Kurt Franz "The Doll"

Gustav Wagner "The Human Beast"

Hubert Gomerski

Gottlob Hering

Erich Bauer

Karl Frenzel

~Very Best Regards Schmauser

thomas

Sobibor

Post by thomas » 02 May 2002, 07:43

Dear Researcher

Your comment about Albert Kaiser could be right, because in the Book he told a first escape of Ukrainian guards. But he give no names. This escape was may 12, 1943.

The names i gave were only from the uprising october 14, 1943. And he has seen the names on a telegramm from Sporrenberg to Krüger. The story about Floss he has a copie of the original report.

Greetings

thomas

Researcher

Thomalla

Post by Researcher » 02 May 2002, 21:55

Schmauser

Maggio is Italian for May. Trust me, my mother is an Iti.

Cheers
Researcher

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 10 Mar 2005, 16:05

This is reportedly a photo of Werner Dubois:

http://www.gfh.org.il

marcWolf

Post by marcWolf » 13 Mar 2005, 04:24

This is my list of Sobibor SS Staff at the time the revolt:

SS died: (all killed the 14/10/43)

Friedrich Gaulstich, Unterscharführer
Josef Vallaster, Scharführer
Josef Wolf, Scharführer
Maximilian Bree, Scharführer,
Johann Niemann, Unterstumführer
Rudolf Beckman, Oberscharführer
Siegfried Graetschus, Oberscharführer
Thomas Steffl, Scharführer
Walter Ryba, Unterscharführer,
Erwin Stengelin, Unterscharführer,
Josef Klatt, Volksdeutcher (ukrainian)
Klaus Schreiber, Volksdeutcher (ukrainian)

Wounded:
Werner Dubois, Oberscharführer

Present at the revolt:
Karl Richter, Scharführer
Karl Frenzel, Oberscharführer
Willi Wendland, Scharführer
Adolf Müller, Scharführer
Rechwald Wenzel, Unterscharführer
Heinrich Unverhau, Unterscharführer

Absent:
Franz Reichsleitner, Hauptsturmführer
Erich Bauer, Oberscharführer (in Lublin)
Wagner Gustav Franz , Oberscharführer (leave)
Johan Klier, Unterscharführer (leave)
Hubert Gomerski, Unterscharführer (leave)

maybe Present:
Matthes, Heinrich Arthur, Scharführer
Joseph Hirtreiter, Scharführer
Franz Wolf, Unterscharführer
Hödl Franz, Unterscharführer
Walter (Anton Julius) Nowak (NSDAP 287060) died in Lublin, 7/2/44
Fritz Konrad, killed near Fiume, Italy in 1944

Herbert Floss, Oberscharführer, killed the 22/10/43 by Ukrainian Guard

Marcwolf

marcWolf

Post by marcWolf » 13 Mar 2005, 04:52

Information about Nowak:

Novak, Anton Julius, born 22/5/1907, Janow
Joins NSDAP: 1/8/1930 (287060)
Expelled: 1/6/1931
Reinstated: 1/6/1933
Joins SS: 27196
Highest Rank: SS-Hauptscharführer
Service to 1939: Sicherheitsdienst(SD)-Oberabschnitt Südost (Breslau).
Autumm 1939: Einsatzkommando of Security Police and SD 1./Einsatzgruppe III, deployed in invasion and occupation of Poland.
1941-February 7,1944: Staff of the SS and Police Leader in Lublin, Departament Operation Reinhard IV.
1942-1943: staff SS Special Detachment Sobibor/in charge of sorting clothes of victims.
Died in Lublin, 7/2/1944

Marcwolf

harmel

SOBIBOR

Post by harmel » 18 Mar 2005, 02:46

HI Schmauser -do you have this photo of Karl Frenzel
Attachments
Pict0062.JPG
Pict0062.JPG (31.1 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 22 Sep 2007, 19:48

Sorry for kidnaping this thread. :wink:

I'm looking for info on what weapons the Germans had in KZ Sobibor? According to Richard Rashke's "Escape from Sobibor", (some of) them had Finnish SMGs. True?

Regards,
Klemen

g hanson

Post by g hanson » 24 Sep 2007, 10:35

Hi Klemen,

Quite possible. I have a Wehrpass for a guard at Auschwitz in which it is noted that he was issued a Suomi MPi.

G

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 24 Sep 2007, 11:00

g hanson wrote:Hi Klemen,

Quite possible. I have a Wehrpass for a guard at Auschwitz in which it is noted that he was issued a Suomi MPi.

G
Ok, thanks.

I thought it was strange that camp personnel were armed with such SMGs, which would be better used for fighting in the severe winter climate.

In the same book there is also mentioned the repair shop for captured Soviet weapons. Does anyone have any more info on this (like: what kind, how many,...)?

Regards,
Klemen

Ryan81

Post by Ryan81 » 24 Sep 2007, 18:33

Just to add something, guys. I remember reading that Gomerski was sentenced to life imprisonment (can't remember exactly when, either in the 1960's or 70's)

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”