Polish atrocities against Germans

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 29 Apr 2002, 16:02

Repressive measures were taken by the German Imperial Government in Posen Province particularly in the 1880s, during the "Kulturkampf", which was also directed against the Catholic Church. However, one of the measures taken to reduce the preponderance of the ethnic German population in Posen Province was to encourage large-scale migration of Poles to the Ruhr where rapid industrialisation was underway. Scores of thousands of ethnic Poles moved westward, and assimilated quite happily to the German Catholic culture of the Rhineland.

The number of Germans today of Polish origin, with Polish surnames, must number in the millions. Their ethnic Polish ancestors were not interested in propagating Polish nationalism, but rather with earning a decent living, which was more possible in the factories and coal-mines of the Ruhr than in the drab fields of Western Poland.
Only partly true my antipodean friend. Those fields weren't nearly as drab if you were a good German. If you wanted to remain a Pole, then finding decent work was very tough indeed. Buying land was also difficult. Some people even resorted to living in caravans because they didn't want to migrate to the Ruhr or to Russia.

Anyway, you're missing the point. I'm not a Polish nationalist, though I might appear to be one on this site. I'm just looking out for Poland's interests here. Quite frankly, it wouldn't matter to me if I was German today. But no one should force me to be German. It has to be my own choice.
Last edited by Davey Boy on 29 Apr 2002, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Whip

Post by Chief Whip » 29 Apr 2002, 17:24

“The high tensions between Poles and Germans meant that the ethnic German community was extremely pro-Nazi. That kind of thing was hard for the Poles to ignore, and yes, many went bananas after the Nazi invasion.”

Is what “HETMAN”, our most valued and respected historian, in the possession of several doctorates, thought he could utter.

So, what you are saying, is that, summed up;

i.) The German community in Poland was ‘pro-Nazi’.
ii.) The Poles did not like that and slaughtered them because of that. And our most respected DPWES thinks it was a good thing to do.

Most illuminating points my dear friend, but why don’t you quote your sources in full text and mention their name? I ask of my good friend DPWES to provide me with facts to claim that the Germans in Poland were all Nazi’s and should be slaughtered for that – including pregnant women. Marvellous chaps these Poles were, I am sure DPWES is equally proud to belong a people so respected in Europe.

“ […] many etnnic [ethnic] Germans served in the Polish army and fought against the Nazis.”

Stunning. Sources please. Also, please specify how many ‘Nazis’ were involved during the easy crushing of Poland. DPWES must be in love with his Nazis, feeling the uncontrollable urge to mention them in every sentence.

“Maybe I do have a lot to learn, but not nearly as much as you. I have accepted that the Poles committed crimes during WWII. You, on the other hand, obviously have a major problem in admitting that the Germans also acted like a bunch of savages on many occasions.”

What a bunch of complete utter nonsense – where in the bloody hell do you derive that from. Please state where I said that in the article, your rebuttal and sources used. This will be dealt with soon and quick, no mercy for the liars and manipulators of history.

“ […] instead of putting forward a decent argument.”

Highly deluding. Please state all sources you used to reach your conclusions as posted in the five or so postings as made in this thread, then we will see who cannot ‘put forth a decent argument’.

This, by the way, is not an ‘argument’, I summed up historical facts and if you have a problem with that or you object, I urge you to name your sources and we will find out soon enough where the problem lies. If, however, it turns out you are doing nothing but blabbing out of your neck, which I suspect you are doing, you had best hold your mouth, read my postings, and learn something instead of behaving like a monkey.

“I have accepted that the Poles committed crimes during WWII”

Which is why you felt the sudden urge to use apologetic talk to excuse the atrocities as committed by your beloved Poles.

To sum up;

In the future, if you feel the need to comment on my postings and say I ‘do not wish to believe Germans committed warcrimes’ (I am not German, so you had best left out that naïve remark as well in the future), do it somewhere else or list your sources and make decent, constructive sentences next time. Alright?

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 29 Apr 2002, 18:02

Chief Whip,
The Poles did not like that and slaughtered them because of that. And our most respected DPWES thinks it was a good thing to do.
Where did i say it was a good thing? You're seeing things again.
Which is why you felt the sudden urge to use apologetic talk to excuse the atrocities as committed by your beloved Poles.
No, that's what you're doing, by trying to excuse what happened to Poland - one of the most brutal occupations in history - at the hands of your beloved Germans. Polish atrocities pale into comparison with what the Nazis did. You can't push shit up hill.
What a bunch of complete utter nonsense – where in the bloody hell do you derive that from. Please state where I said that in the article, your rebuttal and sources used. This will be dealt with soon and quick, no mercy for the liars and manipulators of history.
Take it easy old timer, I don't want to force you to an early grave. But anyway, you said...

"Rob S., my dear fellow, I hope you learned something from this article and I would urge to ignore Polish children such as “HETMAN” who blabs about ‘respect’ while he should hold his mouth when it comes down to respect. He has already apologised on several occasions for his clearly naïve and utterly childish anti-German/lying behaviour, but he has still a lot to learn."

You're obviously saying that I basically bullshit when I criticize the Nazis and their policies. This tells me you're having serious problems dealing with Nazi crimes, which I like to highlight for the benefit of all on this wonderful site.

Anyway, read this article. It's from the a respected Polish magazine called Polityka, which has published several pieces on Polish war crimes recently. Obviously, it's in Polish. But hey, since you're such a smart ass, then you shouldn't have a problem getting this translated, right? I can't be shagged. And since I'm debating you in English, then you should make some kind of an effort as well.

I think that you'll find this is a very informative and balanced work. Enjoy...but make sure you view it in Polish, otherwise you'll get numbers and funny text...

Nikt nas nie chciał...

Kiedy wspomina się o dramacie Niemców wysiedlonych po drugiej wojnie światowej, większość badaczy myśli o polskich ziemiach zachodnich. Również środowiska niemieckie, mówiąc o "wypędzonych", odnoszą ten termin do mieszkańców Wrocławia, Gdańska, Szczecina... O wiele mniej wiadomo na temat exodusu Niemców z Warszawy czy Łodzi, a trzeba pamiętać, że styczeń 1945 roku był końcem często wielowiekowego osadnictwa niemieckiego w Polsce centralnej.

Historia tego osadnictwa sięga wczesnego średniowiecza. Już w czasach pierwszych Piastów na te tereny ściągali przybysze zza zachodniej granicy państwa polskiego. Osiedlali się głównie w miastach, niektóre z nich zdominowali. Z czasem osadnicy polonizowali się, a język niemiecki zanikał. Nowa fala osadnictwa pojawiła się w latach 20. XIX stulecia. Wtedy to na ziemie centralnej Polski przybyła rzesza kolonistów ze wschodnich części Królestwa Prus.

Fachowcy

Osiedleńcy byli cenionymi fachowcami, szczególnie w zakresie przemysłu lekkiego i włókiennictwa. Niektórzy dorobili się wielkich fortun; legendarny wręcz stał się majątek Scheiblerów, łódzkiej rodziny fabrykantów. Spora grupa Niemców osiedlała się również na wsiach. Proces ten został dostrzeżony nawet w literaturze pięknej. "Trzej Hammerowie obchodzili wzgórze wytykając dookoła niego plac kwadratowy, mający ze dwie morgi przestrzeni. [...] Za nimi podążał tłum starszych kolonistów, mężczyźni odkryli głowy i gromada idących zaintonowała hymn uroczysty: Warownym grodem jest nasz Bóg, Broń nasza i potęga..." - tak Bolesław Prus opisywał w Placówce moment zakładania nowej wsi przez kolonistów niemieckich.

Przez prawie sto lat osadnicy stali się integralną częścią tych ziem. Zajmowali się głównie rzemiosłem, zakładali młyny, budowali wiatraki, kuźnie, choć nie brakowało wśród nich i zwykłych rolników. Wielu się spolonizowało, lecz byli i tacy, którzy zachowali swoją odrębność. Według danych z 1939 roku, na terenie Polski mieszkało około 750 tysięcy ludzi, których językiem ojczystym był niemiecki. Najwięcej w Poznańskiem oraz w Łodzi oraz kilku okolicznych miastach: Zgierzu, Ozorkowie i Pabianicach, gdzie Polacy pochodzenia niemieckiego stanowili około 1/3 ogółu mieszkańców. Aż do wybuchu II wojny światowej nie było ostrych konfliktów z ludnością rdzennie polską.

- Kiedy byłem dzieciakiem, moje pochodzenie specjalnie mnie nie obchodziło - wspomina Alfred Reiter, przedwojenny mieszkaniec Zgierza. - Liczyło się tylko to, że mieszkaliśmy na Nowym Mieście i ganialiśmy tych z Przybyłowa. A to, że w niedzielę chodziłem na msze do zboru przy ulicy Długiej, a nie do kościoła św. Katarzyny, specjalnie nie utrudniało mi życia.

Na krótko przed wybuchem wojny w 1939 roku Reitera powołano do wojska. - Służyłem w 1. kompanii 37. pułku piechoty - wspomina. Walczył w bitwie nad Bzurą. Później, podczas wycofywania się w kierunku Kutna, dostał się do niemieckiej niewoli. Przez kilka miesięcy pracował jako niewolnik w fabryce pod Skierniewicami. Tam podpisał folkslistę. - I zrobili mnie Niemcem - mówi.

Kiedy wybuchła wojna, z dnia na dzień dotychczasowi sąsiedzi stawali się zajadłymi wrogami. Podziały nieraz przebiegały w rodzinach. - Babka mojego męża była Niemką, mieszkała w Zgierzu razem z córką - opowiada zgierzanka Anna Kaźmierska. - Na wieść o bombardowaniu Warszawy mąż poszedł do nich w nocy i powybijał im wszystkie szyby. Powiedział, że od tej pory nie są już rodziną.

Okupacyjna codzienność

"Natychmiast usunąć polskie napisy z szyldów firmowych i sklepów i zastąpić je napisami w języku niemieckim" - głosiło pierwsze zarządzenie niemieckiego Prezydenta Policji miasta Łodzi, wydane 7 listopada 1939 roku. Ludności polskiej zakazano też, między innymi, noszenia mundurów byłych polskich związków młodzieży i szkół. Mundury mogły być przerobione na ubrania cywilne przez usunięcie odznak i zmianę guzików. Wojskowym, funkcjonariuszom policji ochronnej i wszystkim Niemcom, których stanowiska służbowe były rozpoznawalne po ich umundurowaniu, Polacy musieli usuwać się z drogi na chodnikach i jezdniach.

- Z dnia na dzień zapomnieli języka polskiego - wspomina Anna Kaźmierska. - Miałam przed wojną przyjaciółki Niemki. Kilka dni po wkroczeniu armii niemieckiej przestały się do mnie odzywać. Choć byli i tacy Niemcy, którzy nadal uważali się za obywateli polskich.

Wszystkich mieszkańców o niemieckich korzeniach władze okupacyjne zaliczyły do folksdojczów. Polscy Niemcy nie protestowali. Przeciwnie, w większości z aprobatą przyjęli rozporządzenie władz okupacyjnych, przyznające im, tak jak i Niemcom przybyłym z Rzeszy, uprzywilejowany status.

- Szczególną gorliwość w gnębieniu Polaków wykazywali miejscowi Niemcy, poprzednio lojalni na ogół obywatele Polski. To oni wskazywali władzom, kto łamał rozporządzenia władz - wspomina po latach Antoni Piaskowski ze Zgierza.

Centralną Polskę podzielono. Poznańskie i okręg łódzki włączono do III Rzeszy jako tak zwany Kraj Warty, resztę do Generalnej Guberni. Sytuacja ludności polskiej była różna po obu stronach. W Kraju Warty zdecydowanie cięższa. Polaków, podobnie jak ludność żydowską, pozbawiano własności. Niemcy konfiskowali majątki ziemskie, sklepy, a nawet majątek ruchomy. Młodych masowo wywożono na roboty przymusowe.

Od 1941 roku w Generalnej Guberni oraz Kraju Warty osiedlano ludność niemiecką ze wschodu: z Rosji, Ukrainy i państw bałtyckich. - Do miasta i okolicznych wiosek ściągnięto kolonistów - wspomina Antoni Piaskowski. - Nie zawsze uważali się za rdzennych Niemców, słabo znali język niemiecki. Osiedlano ich w lepszych domach zabranych Polakom lub większych gospodarstwach na wsiach.

W miastach tworzono tak zwane Deutsche Mittelstelle - ośrodki przesiedleńcze. W nich przebywali osiedleńcy do czasu przydzielenia im mieszkań. Tak było aż do 1945 roku.

Zemsta

W miarę zbliżania się frontu Niemcy pokornieli i próbowali nawiązać kontakty z Polakami oraz zyskać ich sympatię i obronę.

- Zaczynało się od pozdrowień po polsku, wciągania do rozmowy - relacjonuje Antoni Piaskowski. - Wyrażano współczucie, narzekano na wojnę i jej skutki. Nawiązywano do przelotu bombowców oraz skutków bombardowań Reichu i cierpień narodu niemieckiego. Bardziej poufali wyklinali Hitlera i Rejchsdojczów [Niemców z Rzeszy], im przypisując całe to nieszczęście. Dyskretnie proponowano drobne usługi, nabycie papierosów, żywności, lekarstw. Umożliwiano Polakom słuchanie radia. Z takiego nasłuchu dowiedziałem się o tragicznej śmierci generała Władysława Sikorskiego. Szczególny niepokój wykazywali ci nieliczni z małżeństw mieszanych, którzy z tchórzostwa lub dla doraźnej korzyści wyparli się swego pochodzenia, podpisując folkslistę IV kategorii - najniższą. Ci byli szczególnie pogardzani przez resztę społeczeństwa.

Niemcy przypominali, że to ich rodacy zorganizowali w Zgierzu przemysł włókienniczy, dając Polakom pracę i zarobek, że w czasie I wojny światowej cesarz Rzeszy Wilhelm II "wspaniałomyślnie" obdarował nas wolnością. - Biadolili na naszą niewdzięczność i brak realizmu w 1939 roku - wspomina Antoni Piaskowski. - Naiwnie dowodzili, że upór Becka i Mościckiego w sprawie odstąpienia Niemcom wąskiego korytarza na Pomorzu stał się przyczyną tej nieszczęsnej wojny.

W drugiej połowie stycznia 1945 roku Armia Czerwona zajęła Warszawę i Łódź. Dla Polaków skończyła się okupacja, dla Niemców zaczęła się gehenna. - Dzień przed wkroczeniem Sowietów [20 stycznia] przyszedł do nas znajomy Niemiec z sąsiedniej wsi - mówi Jan Ekiel mieszkający wtedy we wsi Wólka Strońska niedaleko Rawy Mazowieckiej. - Mama dała mu jeść i naszykowała spanie w sieni. Nazajutrz rano we wsi pojawili się pierwsi żołnierze sowieccy. Kiedy ten usłyszał rosyjską mowę, uciekł do obory i strzeli sobie w pierś. Żołnierze usłyszeli strzał. Wpadli na podwórko i do domu. Ja ze strachu ukryłem się pod łóżkiem. Ojca ustawili pod płotem i chcieli zastrzelić. Sytuację uratowała moja babcia, z pochodzenia Rosjanka. Zaczęła rozmawiać z oficerem i tłumaczyć, że my nie Niemcy, tylko Polacy. Udobruchali się i zabrali nam jedynie krowę i cały zapas spirytusu. Jak powiedział oficer, mogliśmy uważać się za szczęściarzy.

Lata okupacji zrobiły swoje. Nienawiść skupiła się na tych Niemcach, którzy nie zdążyli uciec przed wkraczającą Armią Czerwoną bądź nie chcieli wcale wyjeżdżać, bo czuli się u siebie. - Ludzie rabowali niemieckie sklepy i mieszkania wraz z krasnoarmiejcami - wspomina Anna Kaźmierska. - Do dziś pamiętam widok, jak szłam ulicą rano, dzień albo dwa po wyzwoleniu. Minął mnie mój znajomy, który dźwigał na plecach naręcze bielizny i materiałów zrabowanych z jakiegoś składu. Razem z siostrą poszłyśmy do mieszkania naszego majstra Niemca. Nie wpuścił nas. Stanął tylko blady jak ściana w korytarzu i powiedział: "Idźcie stąd, idźcie". Z głębi mieszkania słychać było rosyjską mowę. Więcej go nie widziałam i nie wiem, co się z nim stało.

Niewielu stawało w obronie Niemców. Rabunki były na porządku dziennym. Nierzadko sprawcy pozostawiali swe ofiary ogołocone nie tylko z dobytku, ale i z ubrania. Dochodziło też do morderstw. - W nocy przyszliśmy do domu niemieckiego wójta - opowiada chcący zachować anonimowość mieszkaniec wsi Balków niedaleko Łęczycy. - Był sam, bo jego rodzina uciekła już wcześniej. Znaleźliśmy kilku maruderów armii niemieckiej. Byli zziębnięci i słabi. Zastrzeliliśmy wszystkich, a ciała wrzuciliśmy do pobliskiego stawu. Ja zabrałem wójtowi buty.

Ostatni akt dramatu dopełniła konferencja w Poczdamie w sierpniu 1945 roku. Wówczas zdecydowano o wysiedleniu ludności niemieckiej z terenów Polski, Czech i Węgier. Do 1948 roku wysiedlono z Polski około 2,7 mln Niemców. Przede wszystkim z Prus Wschodnich oraz Pomorza i Śląska. Jednak deportacje dotknęły także byłych obywateli polskich narodowości niemieckiej, którzy w czasie okupacji z takich czy innych względów podpisali folkslistę. - Niektórzy śmiali się z nich - wspomina Anna Kaźmierska. - "Macie swoją Rzeszę", mówili. "Tak wam tu u nas źle było, to teraz jedźcie do swoich".

Repatriacjami ludności niemieckiej z Polski zajmowali się Brytyjczycy. Ustalono cztery główne trasy wysiedleń. Pierwsza prowadziła drogą morską ze Szczecina do Lubeki. Trzy pozostałe lądem: z Kaławska (Węglińca) do Alwersdorfu, Marientalu i Friedlandu. Jednak tułaczka wysiedlonych nie skończyła się wraz z przybyciem do okupowanych Niemiec.

- Nikt nas nie chciał - opowiada Alfred Reiter, mieszkający obecnie pod Hanowerem. - W Polsce nie mogłem pozostać. Nie dosyć, że folksdojcz, to jeszcze żołnierz Wehrmachtu. Tam czekałby mnie tylko stryczek. Z kolei w Niemczech wszyscy, nawet moja żona i dzieci, nieraz wypominali mi... polskość.

Podłódzka wieś Rosanów. Na zniszczonym leśnym cmentarzu przy jednej z bocznych ulic stoi dwumetrowy, drewniany krzyż. Ustawili go pierwsi niemieccy koloniści, którzy przybyli w te strony około 1820 roku. Dziś nie ma już w Rosanowie Niemców, nie zachowały się ich gospodarstwa, wiatraki i domy, które wybudowali. Pozostał po nich tylko ten krzyż, niemy świadek historii skazanej na zapomnienie.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 29 Apr 2002, 18:07

In the future, if you feel the need to comment on my postings and say I ‘do not wish to believe Germans committed warcrimes’ (I am not German, so you had best left out that naïve remark as well in the future), do it somewhere else or list your sources and make decent, constructive sentences next time. Alright?

My English is actually a lot better than yours.

Chief Whip

Post by Chief Whip » 29 Apr 2002, 19:16

What is this supposed to be? I don’t know what you are getting, but I am seeing a waterfall of ugly signs and dog-howling, so it seems. My God man, can’t you for once put your heart into something?

On second thought, never mind. I have already made my article, you have no say to that nor did you have anything special to add but the same old apologetic talk about “but the poor Poles only killed pro-Nazis”. Clearly, all efforts are wasted on you. Your childish attitude has relieved me of my task of further educating you, so all that there is left for me is to tell you to read my posting again and face the music.

It should come as no surprise that all nations involved in wars commit violations against the International regulation, since you supposedly ‘admit that also Poles committed atrocities’, what’s the problem with my article? Where did I deny German crimes? Those are well documented, what can be do but believe them?

“My English is actually a lot better than yours.”

Oh but sure, you, holder of a master’s degree in the English language and docent at Oxford, yes, you are no doubt a master of your trade.

I am open to corrections of my misuse of the English language, and can be contacted at:

[email protected]

And will be awaiting your mail with your corrections and improvements.

---
It should be remembered I will no longer answer unfounded postings.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 29 Apr 2002, 19:30

Chief,
What is this supposed to be? I don’t know what you are getting, but I am seeing a waterfall of ugly signs and dog-howling, so it seems. My God man, can’t you for once put your heart into something?
No, I've got better things to do.

But anyway, stop huffing and puffing. This forum supports a number of langauges, including Polish. Tune the settings so that you can view Polish text. This article is pretty good you know. I didn't just put it up to annoy you. If you're still having problems, then I can e-mail you the stuff.
On second thought, never mind. I have already made my article, you have no say to that nor did you have anything special to add but the same old apologetic talk about “but the poor Poles only killed pro-Nazis”. Clearly, all efforts are wasted on you. Your childish attitude has relieved me of my task of further educating you, so all that there is left for me is to tell you to read my posting again and face the music.
See, that's what I'm saying. I can't even make out the first part of this. Oh well...
It should come as no surprise that all nations involved in wars commit violations against the International regulation, since you supposedly ‘admit that also Poles committed atrocities’, what’s the problem with my article? Where did I deny German crimes? Those are well documented, what can be do but believe them?
The problem was that you called me a liar when I said Rob's links were crap. Now, did you actually go and see those links? Obviously not, because if you did, you wouldn't be telling Rob to ignore me. They were the worst kind of fascist propaganda imaginable, and had very little in common with the truth. I was especially amazed by the article about the history of Poland, and it's claims that the Polish language was invented by a renegade German monk. And I'm not supopsed to refute vomit like that???

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 30 Apr 2002, 06:14

I was especially amazed by the article about the history of Poland, and it's claims that the Polish language was invented by a renegade German monk.
I have not bothered to look up the links in question, but it is possible that you have misinterpreted the data presented. If the statement was that the ORTHOGRAPHY of the Polish language was invented by a german monk, then it is probably true. After all, the various tribes that became the Polish people were illiterate until they were converted to Christianity in about 960 by monks coming from Germany. Obviously their spoken language needed to be reduced to writing by someone who was already literate, eg a monk.

In like manner, a couple of centuries earlier the various tribes that became the German people had been illiterate until they were converted by monks coming from England and ireland, among other places, and it was those monks who reduced the Germanic dialects to written form.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 30 Apr 2002, 07:20

michael mills wrote:
I was especially amazed by the article about the history of Poland, and it's claims that the Polish language was invented by a renegade German monk.
I have not bothered to look up the links in question, but it is possible that you have misinterpreted the data presented. If the statement was that the ORTHOGRAPHY of the Polish language was invented by a german monk, then it is probably true. After all, the various tribes that became the Polish people were illiterate until they were converted to Christianity in about 960 by monks coming from Germany. Obviously their spoken language needed to be reduced to writing by someone who was already literate, eg a monk.

In like manner, a couple of centuries earlier the various tribes that became the German people had been illiterate until they were converted by monks coming from England and ireland, among other places, and it was those monks who reduced the Germanic dialects to written form.

G'day Milzza, 'ow are ya? :lol:

But seriously, no, that's not what the author of that dubious text meant. What he said was the Polish language was invented from scratch by that German monk, because the Poles originally spoke German. In fact, he alleges that Poland was always inhabited by Germans, and that these people were made to think that they were Poles. Don't tell me that's not bullshit. Read the link and you'll see.

Landser

Poland

Post by Landser » 30 Apr 2002, 08:55

Michael Mills!
Part of your post caught especially
my eye when you wrote:
...What Prussian rulers from Frederick the Great onward were concerned to do was to make their kingdom stronger and more prosperous by fostering a more advanced material and technical civilisation, which at that time meant the introduction of German social structures, as opposed to the more backward and anarchic structures typical of the Polish state....

Comparing present Poland 250 years later gives one the same impression
of being a backward and rundown country and don't seem ever to get anything done on their own.Western Poland during the war years was better looking and neater together
generally than now 50 odd years later.I wonder WHY?

Davey Boy

Re: Poland

Post by Davey Boy » 30 Apr 2002, 10:05

Landser wrote:Michael Mills!
Part of your post caught especially
my eye when you wrote:
...What Prussian rulers from Frederick the Great onward were concerned to do was to make their kingdom stronger and more prosperous by fostering a more advanced material and technical civilisation, which at that time meant the introduction of German social structures, as opposed to the more backward and anarchic structures typical of the Polish state....

Comparing present Poland 250 years later gives one the same impression
of being a backward and rundown country and don't seem ever to get anything done on their own.Western Poland during the war years was better looking and neater together
generally than now 50 odd years later.I wonder WHY?

Eastern Germany is backward and rundown, and only recovering thanks to millions of Euros from the west. I wonder why Landser? Tell me...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 30 Apr 2002, 11:49

Let's return to the topic of the forum.

/Marcus

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 01 May 2002, 17:45

But seriously, no, that's not what the author of that dubious text meant. What he said was the Polish language was invented from scratch by that German monk, because the Poles originally spoke German. In fact, he alleges that Poland was always inhabited by Germans, and that these people were made to think that they were Poles. Don't tell me that's not bullshit. Read the link and you'll see.
That is certainly a serious distortion of history. It would be true to say that parts of the area that presently constitute Poland were in ancient times inhabited by Germanic tribes. For example, Silesia (Slansk) derives its name from the Siling Vandals, a Germanic tribe that once inhabited the area. The area was subsequently settled by Slavic tribes coming from the South-East; they eventually settled as far west as the Elbe river. Whatever remnants of Germanic tribes remained in the area must have been absorbed by the Slavs, but there must have been contact and intermixing, as the borrowing of place-names of Germanic origin (such as Silesia) shows.

The modern Poles, like any European people, are the result of mixing many different ethnic strains, including ancient Teutons, Slavs, medieval Germans, Baltic peoples, Turks, Tartars, and even such extremely ancient people as the Venedae.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 01 May 2002, 17:57

Michael,
The modern Poles, like any European people, are the result of mixing many different ethnic strains, including ancient Teutons, Slavs, medieval Germans, Baltic peoples, Turks, Tartars, and even such extremely ancient people as the Venedae.
Yeh, ok, but the Venedae were actually Slavs. That's the name given to the Slavs by the Romans. That's why the Slavs in Eastern Germany are still known today as the Wends (pronounced Vends in English). And during the middle ages, Wendel meant Slav in Swedish. That's why I once asked Marcus whether he was of Slavic stock.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”