Chelmno

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Makarov

Re: Chelmno

Post by Makarov » 08 Apr 2015 17:48

spottedcow wrote:the L2 location on the first map in this tread is also a viable placement.
So this location should be where the black Circle is?

Do you know what kind archeological findings has been found at this location?
Forest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nickterry

Post by nickterry » 27 Aug 2016 20:21

I'm bumping this thread to highlight a few things Chelmno-related

Firstly, in addition to the Lodz ghetto Jewish council records, a very big chunk of the records of the Nazi Lodz ghetto administration (Gettoverwaltung Litzmannstadt) have been digitised and are online at the Polish digital archive. A total of 1.3 million pages. The GVL records contain a number of important sources on Chelmno.

Secondly, Yad Vashem has digitised and put online a file of Goering's Forschungsstelle A Litzmannstadt with over 300 pages of phonetapped conversations summarised into reports, all concerning the Lodz ghetto administration and to a lesser extent, the Lodz Jewish council.

Thirdly, these sources give us Nazi documents regarding cremation at Chelmno, both explicit as well as sources on deliveries of e.g. iron girders to a recipient that is undoubtedly Sonderkommando Kulmhof, which help corroborate witness statements and add interesting detail to our understanding of how cremation developed at Chelmno, from simple pits to grids to improvised crematoria with chimneys.

I've written up the key points in an essay-length blog post, please excuse the anti-Holocaust denial remarks, they shouldn't be too obtrustive for those simply interested in the history
http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... .html#more

The blog post and its footnotes also give links to the digitised collections mentioned above.

Hat-tip to spottedcow for his book on Chelmno, which was very helpful writing up the essay.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 27 Aug 2016 23:33

Thanks Nick; it's good to see you here again!

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 18 Apr 2017 19:33

More interesting new research:

"German Document on Chelmno Gas Van Driver Filling up Gasoline in Lodz"

http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... s-van.html

Laabs' gas van no. is now known to be 71449, which is clearly related to the Auschwitz gas van no. 71462 the existence of which I confirmed many years ago ( http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... s-gas.html ) and the gas vans with nos. 71457 and 71463.

spottedcow

Post by spottedcow » 19 Apr 2017 03:23

This is interesting. During the second period of operations (1944) Chelmno functioned with two gas vans, usually referred to as "one smaller, one larger." Is it possible to tell from the fact that Laabs pumped 45 liters of gasoline which van he drove to Lodz? In other words, could the smaller van hold 45 liters of fuel in its gas tank? I assume the answer is yes, which in itself would not tell us which van he drove to Lodz.

Is there a way to identify the vehicle through its license plate? Is there an archive with motor vehicle registration information?

Thanks for the post.
Patrick

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 19 Apr 2017 17:33

There is a general list of series acc. to which all these vans were RSHA vehicles, IIRC. I'll post the link later. Not sure there are more detailed lists somewhere.

Then again I'm aware of a list of vehicles that shows some of them belonging to SK1005 (mentioned by some German investigators), but I haven't seen this list either. Most of this stuff is unpublished.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 19 Apr 2017 18:23

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 04 Sep 2019 09:04

http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... elmno.html

"Their activity with this Sonderkommando, which consisted in the immediate fight and annihilation of state enemies, took place under constant engagement of their lives and required in particular a manly and strong mental attitude. The activities of those named were of crucial importance for the solution of one of the most important ethnic problems. Numbers 1 to 4 are worthy of the award in every respect."

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”