Brauchitsch directive from September 1940

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Boby

Brauchitsch directive from September 1940

Post by Boby » 23 Jul 2013, 21:36

Supossedly on 9 September 1940 Brauchitsch signed a directive that called for the deportation of the male population of Great Britain (in case of successful invasion) between ages 17 and 45 to Europa.

However, I'm unable to find the original location of this document, at least it is not mentioned at all in serious books. I think it was a post-war legend propagated by an unknown person. Any have more info on this?

Boby,

GregSingh

Re: Brauchitsch directive from September 1940

Post by GregSingh » 24 Jul 2013, 02:21

I haven't seen this document either, but story was propagated by well known person - William L. Shirer in the "Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich".
I think it all broke out in September 1945 when British press reported finding the document called "The Military Administration of England". I believe they referred to documents from Wehrwirtschaftsstab "England".
Several more books mentioned it. There is a whole chapter in Niall Ferguson's "Virtual History: Alternatives and Counterfactuals".

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 24 Jul 2013, 04:56

And this article is about Comer Clarke book - England Under Hitler.
Attachments
About Comer Clarke book.jpg
England Under Hitler

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 24 Jul 2013, 07:05

It does not look like fantasy or post-war propaganda.
Apparently all files are in IWM Duxford in Enemy Documents Section collection as OKH/GenStdH/GenQu Nr 3000/40 g.Kdos, Sammelmappe Militärverwaltung ‘England’ (Arbeitsrichtlinien für die Militärverwaltung in England).

According to David Lampe's "The Last Ditch: Britain’s Secret Resistance and the Nazi Invasion Plan" they contain:

1.Orders Concerning Organization and Function of Military Government in England.
2.Directive for Military Government in England.
3.Chief Supply Officer for England.
4.Guide on How Troops are to Behave in England.
5.Proclamation to the People of England.
6.Announcement Regarding Occupied Territory.
7.Order Concerning the Introduction of German Criminal Law and Penal Regulations in Occupied English Territory.
8.Order Concerning the Summary Police Jurisdiction of Local Commandants in Occupied English Territory.
9.Order Concerning the Possession of Arms in Occupied English Territory.
10.Order Concerning Surrender of Wireless Transmitter Apparatus in Occupied English Territory.
11.Blackout Regulations.
12.Announcement [regarding compulsory requisitions].

And below is a translation of (2):

Most Secret
Directive for Military Government in England
1. The main task of military government is to make full use of the country's resources for the needs of fighting troops and requirements of the German war economy.
2. An essential condition for securing the labour of the country is that law and order should prevail. Law and order will therefore be established. Administrative measures will not violate international law unless the enemy has given cause for reprisals.
3. Armed insurgents of either sex will be dealt with with the utmost severity. If the population initiates active operations after the completed conquest of a locality, or in places behind the fighting front, the inhabitants involved in the fighting will be regarded as armed insurgents. When taking hostages, those persons should if possible be selected in whom the active enemy elements have an interest.
4. The able-bodied male population between the ages of 17 and 45 will, unless the local situation calls for an exceptional ruling, be interned and dispatched to the Continent with a minimum of delay.
5. Local headquarters and unit commanders are forbidden to raise levies or other monetary taxes. The authority for such measures is retained by the Army Commander and the offices expressly empowered by him.
6. Laws of the country operative prior to the occupation will be upheld unless they are contradictory to the purposes of the occupation. English authorities may continue to function if they maintain a correct attitude.
7.Special attention is to be paid to public health affairs.
8.In the interests of the country's national economy, this being the concern of the Defence Economic Staff and its headquarters, the welfare of the inhabitants of the country will be considered in so far as they contribute directly or indirectly toward the maintenance of law and order and the securing of the country's labour for the requirements of the troops and the German war economy.

signed (in draft) C-in-C Army, von Brauchitsch

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Jul 2013, 08:00

GregSingh wrote:It does not look like fantasy or post-war propaganda.
Claims of two million women for use in "stud-farms" and you don't think it sounds like fantasy or propaganda?

/Marcus

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 24 Jul 2013, 12:12

Stupid is as stupid does! :D

little grey rabbit

Post by little grey rabbit » 30 Jul 2013, 02:56

Walter Schellenberg's report on England has been published as "Invasion 1940: The Nazi Invasion Plan for Britain" and is available through Amazon.
It doesn't contain anything about stud farms or deporting the entire male population - although that would not be in his brief. It does contain the 2700 list of names for arrest with the branch of the Gestapo who had requested the arrest - so you can see who Eichmann particularly wanted to talk to, comparatively not so many. That particular book rings true to me and is a useful insight into Nazi world view

If there are faked propaganda documents in the collection Greg Singh cites - which I can't say - I assume they would be interspersed with lots of genuine documents also.

Boby

Post by Boby » 29 Jul 2022, 12:02

Here are the original documents
https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/ ... ect/zoom/4

The order to deport the adult male population seems to me completely insane. I wonder what they were thinking.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”