Rowno (Rivne), Ukraine 13th July, 1942 - entrance allowed??

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Albertsen

Rowno (Rivne), Ukraine 13th July, 1942 - entrance allowed??

Post by Albertsen » 13 Jan 2014 20:42

On this Day The last 5000 Jews in Rowno were liquidated.

I have read private yet detailed eye witness description from an SS Hauptsturmfuhrer (Fachfuhrer employed by RuSHA) who were present this evening. Apparently this officer walked in the Streets of The ghetto while it all happened - entering empty houses and seeing how hiding Jews were discovered by Young boys hired by The nazis for this job.

As per own explanation this SS officer tried to intervene when Jews were beaten by The SS which I assume were men from die Einsatzgruppen.

Is it plausible that an SS officer (Fachfuhrer) in full uniform were permitted entrance to The Rowno ghetto this evening just to walk around?? Or is it even more plausible that this person took active part in what was happening? Were SS officers from other units other than die Einsatzgruppen allowed entrance at all during such an aktion??

Finally - does anyone know if pictures material from this evening exist??

wm

Re: Rowno (Rivne), Ukraine 13th July, 1942 - entrance allowe

Post by wm » 14 Jan 2014 19:02

Well, who was going to stop him? An Ukrainian policeman or some Schütze? With this rank, he must have been like a demi-god there.
And, those Jews weren't liquidated, but "evacuated" to the Kostopol forest to be murdered there. So nothing top-secret was going on in that ghetto.
But according to this page the aktion was at night, was met with armed resistance, and some Jews escaped and joined Soviet partisan units.

Albertsen

Post by Albertsen » 14 Jan 2014 19:38

But still... People were severely beaten and several were killed under this action! Babies were killed by being thrown into The ground etc. It was a really ugly scenario regardless that The killings took place in a nearby forrest!

One Would assume that The masskillings at this stage of The war was relatively secret and happened low key; everyone present that Night in Rowno must have known that this was The end of these 5000 last Jews in Rowno? In such perspective I have hard to believe that everyone was allowed entrance to such a "pre event" to The extermination of 5000 people?

wm

Post by wm » 14 Jan 2014 22:16

The ghetto was surrounded by the police or soldiers certainly, but to prevent escaping and looting, locals wouldn't be allowed but an SS officer wouldn't even care to ask some policeman for permission, I think.

It never was a secret, people knew, and understood what was going on, and sometimes saw with their own eyes.
It wasn't even possible. Those local policemen weren't going to keep any secrets, the Germans themselves during a nearest drinking spree would tell anyone around.
The territory wasn't a desert, villages, towns were everywhere. Everyone knew what was going at Babi Yar, it was only 10 km from the city.
The secret was the scale of the Holocaust, because people knew what was only happening nearby and not much else.

Here there is the e-mail of an organization in Riwne run by local Jews dedicated, among others, to preserve Jewish history and tradition there, they should know more.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 15 Jan 2014 04:32

Mass executions at Rovno and Dubno
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=61761

wm

Post by wm » 15 Jan 2014 20:37

As the link shows, civilians were able freely observe the "relocations" and the executions. Maybe there were some rules written diligently in Berlin, but Berlin was very far away from Rowno.

And Graebe didn't mention any armed resistance, so probably there was none. Those claims of resistance were frequently exaggerated during the communist era, adding to the usual inaccuracies and exaggerations.

WINIK

Re: Rowno (Rivne), Ukraine 13th July, 1942 - entrance allowed??

Post by WINIK » 26 Oct 2015 21:52

Dear Sir, Please e-mail to winikron@zahav.net.il where we can read the text about "I have read private yet detailed eye witness description from an SS Hauptsturmfuhrer (Fachfuhrer employed by RuSHA) who were present this evening. Apparently this officer walked in the Streets of The ghetto while it all happened - entering empty houses and seeing how hiding Jews were discovered by Young boys hired by The nazis for this job." , we have family interest since about a year ago we found the names of GRANDPA, GRANDMA and my Father RIP small sister in the list of JEWS made by JUDENRAT on 15/1/1942 and archived by YADVASHEM. From this list we learned that they perished on 13 JULY 1942 when ROWNO ghetto was "liquidated" by NAZIS, Thanks for fast reply, Best Regards, Michael Winik

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 11 Dec 2015 11:18

As far as I know Rowno Jews were shot in Kostopol Forest and Sosenki Forest, but I'm finding it hard to find the location of these two murder Sites. Perhaps someone can help me with this matter?

WINIK

Post by WINIK » 11 Dec 2015 16:02

Thanks, yes, you are right, please see this link http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/rovno/pic.asp

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 11 Dec 2015 16:14

Hi WINIK!
I'm familiar with the link you attached, but it doesn´t say where the sites are located, just that they were murder Sites, Any idea where they are located?

WINIK

Post by WINIK » 11 Dec 2015 17:47

Yes, the Sosenki Forest memorial is in RIVNE, please visit this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwitCwVA6Ks The Kostopil Forest memorial is neer Kostopil, please visit this link http://www.yahadmap.org/kostopil-rivne- ... /q_pays.1/

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 11 Dec 2015 21:32

WINIK, thank you very much for the information regarding Sosenki and Kostopil memorial.

WINIK

Post by WINIK » 11 Jul 2019 14:51

By JEWISH tradition the 13 July,1942 corresponds to כ"ח בתמוז

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”