The real inglourious basterds

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Max

The real inglourious basterds

Post by Max » 01 Oct 2016, 02:43

Joseph Harmatz and the real Inglourious Basterds plot to murder 12,000 captured SS officers

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/obitua ... rsalf.html
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Sergey Romanov

Re: The real inglourious basterds

Post by Sergey Romanov » 01 Oct 2016, 07:22

A movie is all fun and entertainment, but in real life these people are war criminals who should have been tried for attempted mass murder.

Larso

Post by Larso » 13 Nov 2016, 09:34

These events are also covered in Forged in Fury by Michale Elkins. From memory he was with SOE or something like that and engaged in some of the activities he wrote about himself. I recall they believed they'd killed about 200 SS in the poisoned bread episode but I believe this was completely debunked later. The attempt to poison Frankfurt (I think?) was set up but yes, support in Israel was pulled and that fell over - thankfully. This said, there was an investigation some time ago (ten years?) about charging some of the 'attackers' but it didn't proceed.

Most of their activities were murdering former Concentration camp guards and SS officers. A couple of specific things I've tried to research on the net but without much luck. I'm sure they were successful at times but to what extent is unknowable. Wasn't it recently revealed that former Jewish Bde soldiers were used by British Intelligence to do the same thing? This may have been partly a forerunner to the SAS??

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 13 Nov 2016, 21:43

The latest details I can find indicate nobody dies in the poisoned bread episode, the attempt only making people seriously ill at worst.
the Wikipedia article covers it in basic detail;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakam

Larso

Post by Larso » 16 Nov 2016, 13:52

I thought I read somewhere that someone at the bakery died in the process but I can't recall the source. There's no mention in the wiki piece though.

One of the Sorbibor (spelling??) officers was strangled in South America. This was a bit later I think and possibly it was a Mossad operation?

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 20 Nov 2016, 04:14

Wasn't it recently revealed that former Jewish Bde soldiers were used by British Intelligence to do the same thing?
No, the members of the Jewish Brigade stationed in Germany were acting on their own initiative. The first Israeli ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany, Asher Ben-Natan, who had served with the Jewish Brigade in Germany (and originally came from Austria), publicly claimed in an interview with the German media that he and other members of that unit had killed Germans at random, by running them down deliberately when they were travelling in their trucks.
One of the Sorbibor (spelling??) officers was strangled in South America. This was a bit later I think and possibly it was a Mossad operation?
You are thinking of Gustav Wagner, who served at Sobibor under Franz Stangl, and escaped with him to Brazil. The circumstances of his violent death are unknown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Wagner
In October 1980, Wagner was found with a knife in his chest in São Paulo. According to his attorney, Wagner committed suicide. His date of death was determined to be 3 October 1980.
His death was almost certainly not a Mossad operation, since Mossad did not get involved in the hunt for wanted German war criminals, except for the Eichmann operation, which was a special case because of the Kasztner affair.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”