Werner Isensee

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Gorque

Werner Isensee

Post by Gorque » 19 May 2017, 15:54

I'm wondering if anyone has Gerald Fleming's Hitler and the Final Solution as I came across a foot-note in Peter Wyden's Stella which states:
Hitler's own hand was not disclosed until February 17, 1978. when a Wehrmacht noncommissioned officer, Werner Isensee,
gave a written statement to British researcher, Gerald Fleming about a coded order transmitted in late July 1942 from the Führer's headquarters at Vinnitsa to Isensee's radio station at Lutsk in the Ukraine. Signed "Adolf Hitler, Führer's headquarters" and addressed to Gauleiter Erich Koch in nearby Rovno, it demanded liquidation of all remaining Jews in the Rovno region. As a result, more than 70,000 Jews were shot in massacres between August and November.
(p. 125)

From what I have been able to glean through Google's preview, Werner Isensee is mentioned in the book's acknowledgement's on page 203 and again in the notes.

Gorque

Re: Werner Isensee

Post by Gorque » 25 May 2017, 17:06

I located the text and related foot-notes that I was seeking and since no one had previously responded, thought I would share my findings.
The formula, "it is the Führer's wish," was only one way liquidation orders "from the highest level" or "on highest orders" were concealed. Late in July 1942, a coded radio signal from Vinnitsa was taken down and deciphered in the Lutsk radio station in the Ukraine. Signed "Adolf Hitler, Führer's Headquarters," the message was an order for the Reichskommissar Erich Koch, Rovno, Ukraine, instructing him to liquidate, within a specified period of time, all the Jews that were still alive within the general region of Rovno.(6) On the basis of this order, no less than seventy thousand Jews were shot in the Rovno region between August and Novemebr of 1942. It is extremely likely that this figure was included in report 51 to the Führer, signed by Himmler, which for the months of August to November 1942 shows, under the rubric "Jews executed," a total of 363,211 persons liquidated.Report number 51 was prepared in quadruplicate on the Führer-typewriter ( a special typewriter with very large type) in Himmler's field-command Headquarters on 29 December; as the handwritten notation by Hitler's adjutant indicates.(7)

(6) Statutory declaration by Werner Isensee to author, 17 February 1978. Cf. William Klein to author, 10 April 1979: "I was with Herr Werner Isenss at the radio station Lutsk"; and 4 May 1979; "While I was in Lutsk. There wasan NCO in charge of the radio station." Cf also p.120 relating to the direct chain of command Hitler-Erich Koch. Also Dr. Walter Labs to author, 20 July 1980: "I cannot recall whether there existed an official channel of communications for direct instructions and reports between Hitler and Koch in the Ukraine in 1942, but I consider this a distinct possibility. I cannot say anything about the technical avenues of such direct instructions, though probably information was passed through the Wehrmacht, since few other communications channels were available." Richard Schulze-Kossens to author, 10 October 1979: "On 7 September 1942, Hitler received the Reichkommissar Koch in the new Führer's Headquarters 'Wehrwolf,' in Vinnitsa."

(7) "reports to the Führer, re: campaign against gangs," report number 51, from southern Russia, Ukraine, Bialystok, 29 December 1942 (NS 19/291, Bundesarchiv, Koblenz)(see plates)
(pp 128-9)

Does anyone have thoughts/opinions on Gerald Flemings research and/or writings?

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”