Commemoration of Warsaw Massacres

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
henryk

Commemoration of Warsaw Massacres

Post by henryk » 27 Jul 2017, 20:30

http://www.thenews.pl/1/11/Artykul/3181 ... rsaw[quote]
Collector's coin commemorates WWII massacres in Warsaw

Polish Radio External Service 27.07.2017 11:00

The National Bank of Poland has issued a collector's coin to commemorate the victims of two massacres in Warsaw during the WWII occupation of the city by German Nazis.

Polish civilians murdered by German troops during Warsaw Uprising. Picture taken in Warsaw's Wola district. Photo: Wikimedia Commons, public domain (For photo go to source)

The silver PLN 10 coin depicts the kneeling figure of a woman symbolizing the victims of the killings and, behind her, two male silhouettes, symbolizing the killers.

The Wola massacre was a systematic massacre of 40,000 to 50,000 people in the western Warsaw district by German Nazi troops during the early phase of the Warsaw Uprising, which started on 1 August.

Between 5 and 12 August 1944 tens of thousands of Polish civilians along with captured Home Army resistance fighters were systematically murdered in organised mass executions.

It is estimated that up to 10,000 civilians were killed in the Wola district on 5 August alone, the first day of the operation.

Most of the victims were the elderly, women and children.

Meanwhile, around 10,000 were slaughtered in the Polish capital’s Ochota's district in August 1944.

(pk)
[/quote]

wm

Re: Commemoration of Warsaw Massacres

Post by wm » 30 Sep 2017, 19:13

Legia Warsaw fans commemorating the 73rd anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising:
1.jpg
2.jpg
more commemorating in the center of Warsaw:
3.jpg
sources: 1, 2, 3.

How it was done:

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 01 Oct 2017, 12:02

"During the Warsaw Uprising GERMANS killed 160 000 people".

Uneducated folk.

henryk

Post by henryk » 01 Oct 2017, 20:12

history1 wrote:"During the Warsaw Uprising GERMANS killed 160 000 people".

Uneducated folk.
And what do you say?
A Google search shows the commonally accepted range for civilian casualties is 150 000 to 200 000. A"educated" source:
http://www.hoover.org/research/remember ... quote]2004 No. 4 »
Remembering the Warsaw Uprising
by Maciej Siekierski
Saturday, October 30, 2004

The civilian population suffered the most. On August 5–6 alone more than 40,000 inhabitants of the district of Wola—men, women, and children—were slaughtered. The mass killing was the work of the SS, police, penal battalions, and units of the Russian People’s Liberation Army, made up mostly of Russian collaborators. Altogether, the Polish losses during the uprising included 150,000 civilian dead and about 20,000 Home Army casualties. The German forces lost about 10,000. Fighting ceased on October 2 with the formal capitulation of the Home Army forces. The remaining civilian population of 650,000 was deported to a camp south of Warsaw. During the next three months, the Germans proceeded to demolish much of what was left of the city; when the Soviet troops “liberated” Warsaw in January 1945, Poland’s capital was a vast desert of hollow-shelled buildings and rubble.[/quote]

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 01 Oct 2017, 20:16

I say ""During the Warsaw Uprising Nazi Germans and their collaborateurs killed 160 000 people".

wm

Post by wm » 02 Oct 2017, 09:10

Another is the send a postcard to a hero commemorative campaign - it encourages people to send their thank you to the veterans of the Warsaw Uprising.

This year promotional video:

Do you know how many people had to die so you could live in a free country?
We owe it to generations of heroes.
Let's show we remember the still living among us Warsaw Uprising fighters.
Let's send them commemorative postcards.

It should be mentioned all these are grass root efforts - the government or the EU had nothing to do with them.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 02 Oct 2017, 15:06

"Do you know how many people had to die so you could live in a FREE COUNTRY?"

ROFL! But do not dare to mention that Poles played an active role in the Holocaust because you´ll be thrown in jail for 3 years! Free country......

Quote: "A grassroots movement [...] is one which uses the people in a given district as the basis for a political or economic movement." End of quote
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassroots

wm

Post by wm » 02 Oct 2017, 18:48

It's a deliberate and baseless (i.e. not supported by facts) denial of nazi or communist crimes. As long as you have at least some facts on your side you can deny as much as you can.
Such laws exist not only in Poland but in sixteen other countries including Austria, Germany, Israel.

Personally I believed they are all wrong, but at least in Poland the law is harmless and toothless thanks to the well known deficiencies of the entire legal system.

I you want something to be outraged about you might try the preventive censorship enacted in Germany, Britain, France and in the entire EU soon with its orwellian dedicated points of contact for the police, trusted content flaggers, automatic detection technologies, and fast administrative removal of all we-don't-like-it "wrong speech".

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 02 Oct 2017, 19:48

The problem with Facebook is that they allow hate speech and holocaust denial and that´s what the EU is fighting against, AFAIK. Even if you report such cases very often you get the feedback " this post/message doesn´t violate our rules". I even saw holocaust denial and hate speech below the threads of the Auschwitz Memorial & Museum. And they didn´t delete them though they could!
They are anyway the biggest hypocrits on Earth! Inviting foreign journalists on a two day seminar since two month and when I registered they wrote that I´m on the waiting list. They only want let the "BEST" journalists attend on this event. After two further weeks without informations I asked P. Sawicki about their decision. The response came immedialy "Sorry, you can´t attend". On my question which Austrian journalists are allowed to attend as I want to ask him/her about their experiences in Auschwitz there was even NO response! What we can equatable with "there is NO AUSTRIAN journalist which we are allowing the attending the seminar". And then they complain about improper wording and bad press outside of Poland?
Sorry for the leeway.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”