Can this story be true (Jewish kapo married SS man after the war) ?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
nora93

Can this story be true (Jewish kapo married SS man after the war) ?

Post by nora93 » 10 Oct 2017, 14:16

Hello,

I read an Holocaust survivor 's interview.
Link: http://remember.org/witness/wit-sur-luc

The woman called Lucille stated that one of the kapo Maya (we later learn that she was Jewish as Lucille ) had an affair with an SS man while in Auschwitz and that she later married this man.

Here is the text:

I: I’m going to jump ahead for a second. There’s something you mentioned, as an aside, the woman who was the Kapo at Auschwitz. You said you ran into her at Altman’s.

E: Yes, I was at Altman’s, let’s see it must have been 1947, in New York. And it was cold, it was fall. I needed a pair of gloves that did, from California you don’t take gloves. And I went into Altman’s on Fifth Avenue, I was alone I didn’t go with friends. I went to the glove counter to get tied on gloves. And I couldn’t decide whether to get red ones or black ones. There was a lady next to me, much taller than I, very black hair, even, naturally died and sort of cut almost like a man’s cut. Very short. Very striking. Well dressed. She was trying on gloves and she smiled. And I don’t know why or what but I turned and I looked at her. And she looked at me. And I said, Maya. That wasn’t a question, it was a statement. And she said, yes, how do you know? I said, Auschwitz. And she turned white. She said, oh I can explain, I had to, it was really bad, and I didn’t kill anybody. She just beat us, she didn’t kill us. And it just sort of burst out of her, that she really wasn’t bad.

I: In English, or in Polish?

E: No, in English, we spoke in English. And I said, what about the SS that came at night to visit you? She didn’t deny it. When I looked at her hands and she wore a wedding band. I said, you’re married? She said, Yes. I said, whom did you marry? I’m not normally that fresh or that nosy. And she didn’t answer. She didn’t answer. I said, not the SS? And she said, yes. He followed me from camp to camp, in occupied Germany, I couldn’t get rid of him, he even followed me to New York. And then I decided, that there was no point running away from him, he’s really quite a decent sort. And we both have our past. I looked at her and I said, do you have children? She said, no. I said, I pity them. I hope you never have them. And I turned and I walked.

I: And did it stick with you for the rest of the day, what did you think?

E: Oh, the rest of the day. My girlfriend, I went back to my boyfriend’s house in Manhattan, and she said, what’s the matter with you? I said, I just saw a nightmare walking through in Altman’s. She said, put it out of your mind. It won’t help. You can call up the FBI and report them if you want them. And I said no

I: You also ran into that Head of the Department of Labor on the street and you didn’t want to do anything. Why was that?

E: A Jew is a Jew. To point a finger at another Jews is very hard for me. Some of us are guilty, some of us are very guilty. Some of us are clean, some of us are not so clean. I got off that train, maybe somebody would have went in my place? I don’t know. I couldn’t point a finger at another Jew. I might detest them, I might not like them, but unless he really killed another human being, I would not point a finger. I can’t.

I tried to search more about this Maya (it may not be her real name ) but couldn't find anything.

I am pretty skeptical. Is this story credible ?

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Can this story be true (Jewish kapo married SS man after the war) ?

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 10 Oct 2017, 19:53

Hello Nora93,
I don't know if it's thrue but that's the story of Helena Citronova and Franz Wunsch, told by Maya Sarfaty:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Time.html
Apoliges for my bad english but ist'n my native language.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink: :wink:

nora93

Post by nora93 » 10 Oct 2017, 20:51

Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:Hello Nora93,
I don't know if it's thrue but that's the story of Helena Citronova and Franz Wunsch, told by Maya Sarfaty:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Time.html
Apoliges for my bad english but ist'n my native language.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Thanks for the reply :)

I had heard about Helena Citronova and Franz Wunsch story.

The main difference between their story and "mine" is that in Helena and Franz it didn't to lead to marriage.

nora93

Post by nora93 » 07 Nov 2017, 18:43

Bump

I am curious whether this story may be true.

wm

Post by wm » 07 Nov 2017, 22:34

Those people were too insignificant to leave a trace, there were thousands of such SS-men and capos in Auschwitz, so finding more information is rather impossible. Such affairs between prisoners and guards happened, even in death camps, so the story is quite credible.

nora93

Post by nora93 » 10 Nov 2017, 19:42

wm wrote:Those people were too insignificant to leave a trace, there were thousands of such SS-men and capos in Auschwitz, so finding more information is rather impossible. Such affairs between prisoners and guards happened, even in death camps, so the story is quite credible.

I think maybe for scholars/historians it might be possible to have access to archives and know if there was a Maya who was a kapo in Auschwitz. But of course Maya may not have been here real name and could still have changed her name anyway when she moved to America.

But a love story between a Jewish woman and a SS is quite incredible.

There are plenty of information about Helena Citronova and Franz Wunsch and yet their relation didn’t last or lead to marriage/children. There is a video interview of her talking about it and this story is told by Laurence Rees in his books/films. There even is a documentary about them.

But about "Maya " and her SS lover who eventually got married. I couldn’t find anything.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”