Rapings commited by the soviet Soldiers

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Roberto

Post by Roberto » 05 Jun 2003, 00:05

Maple 01 wrote:From 'Berlin, the downfall 1945', Antony Beevor, Penguin/Viking 2002, page 25 (original English text)
The [Nazi] propaganda ministry accused Ehrenburg of inciting the rape of German women. Yet while Ehrenburg never shrank from the most bloodthirsty harangues, the most notorious statement, which is still attributed to him by western historians, was a Nazi invention. He is accused of having urged Red Army soldiers to take German women as their lawful booty and to break their racial pride. ‘There was a time’, Ehrenburg retorted in Krasnaya Zvezda, ‘when Germans used to fake important documents of state. Now they have fallen so low as to fake my articles'
Regards

-nick
Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you, Nick.

witness

Post by witness » 05 Jun 2003, 00:06

Tancred wrote:
Simon wrote:I add a question..

Number of suicides because of the rapings?
Around 100,000 in Berlin alone. Probably 1 million in all I guess.
This is how the rumors are born.
100000 suicides in Berlin alone as a result of the rapes committed by the evil Russians .

The truth -
David Thompson wrote :
According to Botting, Douglas, "Ruins of the Reich: Germany 1945-1949," Crown Publishing, New York: 1985, pp. 68-72: ............
There were 200 suicides of women as a result of rape reported in one district of Berlin -- Pankow district -- over a three week period after the fall of Berlin.
200 in one district...over the period of three weeks.
Now can anybody help me here -how many districts were there in Berlin
in this period ?

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 05 Jun 2003, 00:25

witness wrote:
Tancred wrote:

100000 suicides in Berlin alone as a result of the rapes committed by the evil Russians .

The truth -
David Thompson wrote :
According to Botting, Douglas, "Ruins of the Reich: Germany 1945-1949," Crown Publishing, New York: 1985, pp. 68-72: ............
There were 200 suicides of women as a result of rape reported in one district of Berlin -- Pankow district -- over a three week period after the fall of Berlin.
in this period ?

According to Cornelius Ryan in The Last Battle, Berlin medical authorities estimated the number of rapes in the city as between 20,000 and 100,000.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Jun 2003, 00:26

Oleg -- You said: ""An anonymous woman diarist..." now there is a relaible source if there ever was one (pardon my irony) And while I do I appreciate you effort posting this pages, they provide now reference to how 90000 figure was calculated."

(1) Botting didn't use the anonymous woman diarist as a source for his figures. He clearly says that the quotes are from her work, and those are apparent from the text ("The anonymous diary quotations are from 'A Woman in Berlin'"). They have nothing to do with the statistics.

(2) Botting lists 21 sources other than the anonymous woman diarist for the chapter.

You seem very quick to shrug these figures off. Why? Don't you think that there were mass rapes in Berlin during and after the fighting there?

witness

Post by witness » 05 Jun 2003, 00:32

Thank you Xcalibur
So it turns out that the 100000 estimate is the highest number possible...
The difference range of 80000 seems to be pretty high too to talk about any exactitude .
I didn't read the book.
Does Cornelius Ryan provide any sources from where he got those numbers .?
I am really interested.
Regards

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 05 Jun 2003, 00:36

witness wrote:
Tancred wrote:

The truth -
David Thompson wrote :
in this period ?
There were 20 districts in Berlin in 1945.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 05 Jun 2003, 00:48

David Thompson wrote:Oleg -- You said: ""An anonymous woman diarist..." now there is a relaible source if there ever was one (pardon my irony) And while I do I appreciate you effort posting this pages, they provide now reference to how 90000 figure was calculated."

(1) Botting didn't use the anonymous woman diarist as a source for his figures. He clearly says that the quotes are from her work, and those are apparent from the text ("The anonymous diary quotations are from 'A Woman in Berlin'"). They have nothing to do with the statistics.

(2) Botting lists 21 sources other than the anonymous woman diarist for the chapter.

You seem very quick to shrug these figures off. Why? Don't you think that there were mass rapes in Berlin during and after the fighting there?
out of pages you presented only Ruins70.jpg contained the statistical data in question. This specific number is not linked in any visible way to the sources you provided -it is probably there - but where there is rather hard to determine. It is not like there is a footnote which says "in order to see how this number was calculated consult...". And while I have no doubt that there were rapes, I find somewhat difficult to believe that such a statistics could be compiled in the city with total breakdown of elementary and most basic social services. I just don’t see 1945 Berlin doctors meticulously collecting notes on rape and then putting them all together -90000 notes mind you -that is some database, and it is not like every rape claim was actually investigated and determined as such. Is not it?

Einsamer_Wolf

Post by Einsamer_Wolf » 05 Jun 2003, 00:52

Roberto wrote:
Einsamer_Wolf wrote:Roberto

I do find your apologism for teh Soviet scourge of Germany troubling, if not offensvie.
I think that's a lot of nonsense you're writing there. In view of my having taken the trouble to translate Manfred Zeidler's article for this forum, see the thread

Red Army Killing and Rape Crimes on German Soil
http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... e2970279ec

you obviously haven't looked at yet, I consider your statement an insult and expect an apology.
Roberto I apologize to an extent. It does seem to me, however, that you go to great lengtsh to diminish the excesses of the Red Army. I wouild like top remain a friendly repertoire with you, notwithstanding our apparent disagreement as to who ois the lesser of the two evils--a subject that I am most adament, even somewhat maniacal about. I have since skimmed the article in question. As to whether it is over 1.5 million or 100,000, I really do not follow the article's methodology. I do not know why, however, estimates reached by de Zayas would be wrong. I skimmed the article you mentioned, and it seems to me that the numbers he arrives at are impossibly conservative--only allowing for deaths that are certified by eye witness or otherwise recorded. Most incredibly, the passage concedes that "Not included herein are the victims on the area of the Soviet Occupation Zone in the weeks and months after the middle of April 1945." This could be how many tens or hundreds of thousands of people! THis is particularly so when many Germans were repatriated to Stalinist Gulags!
Ultimately, it is probably not possible to arrive at an exact figure.. Estiamates during the entire war on the Eastern Front arte speculiatve. Take for example the oft thrown around figure that 20 million Russian died at the hands of the Nazis, either through combat or atrocity. This was the figure thrown around for decads. I rememver seeing it in my grandfather's Time Life book on World War II as a boy. Then the Iron Curtain falls, the Russian disclose thousands of documents, revealing Stalinist purges, blcoking units other things that indicate the Soviet regime was responsible for millions of deaths. There is thus no way to know for certainty the nubmer to Soviet deaths are attributable to the Germans because of combat or atrocity, and those which are attributable to Stalin's policy. Even Holocaust figures are based on levels of European Jewry before and after--nothing more. This is of course only related to describe the inherent difficult in arriving at figures during this time and place of history. Any number that ever comes close to the unknowable truth will be approximate only, just as ultra-conservative numbers will greatly diminish the true numbers of dead simply because many atrocities cannot be verified with scientific exactiude. In the meantime, allow me some time to read de Zayas again, ro at least crucial portions related to this discussion. MInd yout hat I am not a professioanl historian--I have other things going on.

Warm Regards,

Einsamer Wolf

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Jun 2003, 00:53

Oleg -- I agree that Botting's method of footnoting is slovenly. If he had done the job properly, neither of us would have to wonder where his statistics came from. I'll see if I can find any other references on the subject.

witness

Post by witness » 05 Jun 2003, 00:53

Thank you again Xcalibur.
So 20 districts..
So if to take Botting number as an average it would be about 4000 over the period of three weeks..
As a part of my profession I was studying PTSD ( post traumatic stress disorder ) and I know that even if occasional "flashbacks '"leading to suicide can happen even years after the traumatic event ,majority of suicides take place exactly in this period of 3-4 weeks after .
Last edited by witness on 05 Jun 2003, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

Einsamer_Wolf

Post by Einsamer_Wolf » 05 Jun 2003, 00:58

Maple 01 wrote:From 'Berlin, the downfall 1945', Antony Beevor, Penguin/Viking 2002, page 25 (original English text)
The [Nazi] propaganda ministry accused Ehrenburg of inciting the rape of German women. Yet while Ehrenburg never shrank from the most bloodthirsty harangues, the most notorious statement, which is still attributed to him by western historians, was a Nazi invention. He is accused of having urged Red Army soldiers to take German women as their lawful booty and to break their racial pride. ‘There was a time’, Ehrenburg retorted in Krasnaya Zvezda, ‘when Germans used to fake important documents of state. Now they have fallen so low as to fake my articles'
Looks like Einsamer_Wolf is the latest victim of Nazi propaganda

Regards

-nick
Pardon my French, but what the f*ck are you talking about, Nick? I NEVER referred to Nazi propaganda in my posts. In any case, even if that one statement was fabricated by Goebbels and company, notice the dependent clause in that one sentence--it is most damning, as it supports, though in hte broadest terms possible, my assertion that Soveit atrocities were in fact endorsed by the state and thus systematic in nature:

Yet while Ehrenburg never shrank from the most bloodthirsty harangues, the most notorious statement, which is still attributed to him by western historians, was a Nazi invention.

I wil have to do a little reading on what this fellow Ehrenburg wrote, gruesome commissar that he is. It looks like he would be a cornerstone for my assertions on this point.

Einsamer Wolf

witness

Post by witness » 05 Jun 2003, 00:59

Einsamer_Wolf wrote: It does seem to me, however, that you go to great lengtsh to diminish the excesses of the Red Army.
It seems to me that it was you who was trying to diminish the Nazi crimes and blow up those of the Red Army .
Since it was you who wrote -
In this way, the barbarianism of the Soveits was wider reaching and affected many more innocent peoples. The Germans were clearly the lesser of two evils.
which is sheer nonsense. Just compare the number of civilian casualties and the methods applied ( such as Eisanstgruppen shootings of women children and elderly into the pits by thousands ) by the both armies.
And please also bear in mind that it was Germany which attacked the USSR and not the other way around.

Gen. Erwin Rommel

Post by Gen. Erwin Rommel » 05 Jun 2003, 01:05

Thank you guys for all the Information.

So i Guess the Numbers are around this:

20.000 to 100.000 Raped womans in Berlin.

Around 4000 suicides in Berlin

But now i ask about the number of childs born, and the number of Rapes in the entire German Territory? And there are any reports of Rape commited by the Ameriacn soldiers?

British Free Corps

Post by British Free Corps » 05 Jun 2003, 01:11

But now I ask about the number of childs born, and the number of Rapes in the entire German Territory? And there are any reports of Rape commited by the Ameriacn soldiers?
That's quite a question, with which will emerge many differing answers. I'm only an amateur in terms of statistical historical accuracies (I'm only 16 after all, just rounding off my AS Levels)...so I'm not as knowledgeable in such fields as say, Roberto, but I am prepared to bet that the total figure does continue into the millions. Many elements of Soviet propaganda did attempt to instill an indiscriminate hatred for Germany on the Red Army's drive Westwards...

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 05 Jun 2003, 01:15

Please keep the discussion on the historical topic, and avoid personalizing it.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”