Auschwitz 2019

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Georg_S

Auschwitz 2019

Post by Georg_S » 21 Feb 2019 16:35

Today I visited the KL Auschwitz for the first time. And unfortunately was I disapointed. I think they show that camp from the wrong point of view. Nothing about who run the camp or how the camp was administrated etc.

The focus was om the dead, but not much info why and how. To show 500 glasses in a pile doesn't say much IMHO

What do you other think?

But att least I can put that out of My bucket list.

//Georg
Waffen-SS, SS-TV, KZ/KL SS-Pz.A.A.
- http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: Auschwitz 2019

Post by Terry Duncan » 21 Feb 2019 18:36

Did you just visit the original camp Auschwitz 1 or also visit Auschwitz 2? The scale of the second camp, the main extermination one is truly something to see as it is at least twice the size of the first and even while not so well preserved is well worth a visit.

The numbers thing hits some people more than others, often it is the silence at Auschwitz 2 that strikes people most.

Poot

Post by Poot » 21 Feb 2019 19:04

I'm curious why you would expect the emphasis to be placed not on the masses of people who were murdered, but on the murderers?
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 21 Feb 2019 19:19

Hello

When looking at the description of your interests and webpage, one understand that you are disapointed :-(

"Waffen-SS, SS-TV, KZ/KL SS-Pz.A.A.
- http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/"

regards
Kurt
kstdk

Georg_S

Post by Georg_S » 22 Feb 2019 09:01

Terry Duncan wrote:
21 Feb 2019 18:36
Did you just visit the original camp Auschwitz 1 or also visit Auschwitz 2? The scale of the second camp, the main extermination one is truly something to see as it is at least twice the size of the first and even while not so well preserved is well worth a visit.

The numbers thing hits some people more than others, often it is the silence at Auschwitz 2 that strikes people most.
Im very aware of the svale of the murdering machine, but I think they make Huge misstake when they doesn't tell the story why, by and how. I had a discussions yesterday with a Guy from Ireland who told me that when he visited the camp with a guide he became so angry at the guide so he left the Group.

Best regards
Georg
Waffen-SS, SS-TV, KZ/KL SS-Pz.A.A.
- http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 22 Feb 2019 10:50

I imagine the general tours cater to the casual tourist who cares little for finer details. It is also possibly going to take a lot more time to explain the who and why parts as well as possibly end up with disagreements during a tour. I can certainly vouch for the latter happening on a tour of the battlefield of Culloden many years ago, as after listening patiently to many 'the English did x,y, z' type statements when it came to atrocities, I asked if my understanding that the majority of men on the 'English' side were not actual Scots themselves and that many on the Jacobite side were actually French.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 22 Feb 2019 21:57

Please keep the discussion on topic and avoid personal comments about other posters.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”