SITES AROUND ‘AUSCHWITZ-1’

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Maksym Chornyi

Post by Maksym Chornyi » 28 Apr 2019, 13:26

As a continuation of the recent ‘Beyond the Birkenau’ material, I invite you to join my walking tour around the ‘Auschwitz-1’ or ‘Stammlager (main camp). These locations are rarely recognized by the tourist groups, while they are on the short 200 meters’ distance from the camp fence. These unobvious places can give a deeper understanding of the Auschwitz nature and its dramatic bureaucratic functioning.
I have devoted almost a month to this detailed article with the history of each site and building, dozens of archival and present photos, quotes from the books on the issue. It would be the most precious part to get your feedback. Ask questions, share your stories, add value. And travel your own history.

https://war-documentary.info/objects-around-aushwitz/

Yuli

Re: SITES AROUND ‘AUSCHWITZ-1’

Post by Yuli » 17 May 2019, 13:12

Thank you for the interesting tour.

Question: Is there a more precise date for the inauguration of the extension camp of Auschwitz I? That is, the date it began to accommodate female prisoners? Was it surrounded by an electrified barbed wire fence and guard towers?

Comments to "In consequence of such underground activity of these four women, the sonderkommando members managed to blow up the Crematorium IV."

1. There were about 30 Jewish women involved in smuggling gun powder from Union. Only four were captured, tortured (without revealing any names of collaborators), and executed on January (5 or 6), 1945.

2. Contrary to current belief, and quite ironically, the sondercommando never actively used the smuggled Union gun powder to blow up crematorium IV. In fact, they did not even intend to do so. Their plan was to set the crematoria on fire and to use the gun powder in improvised grenades to break through the fences. They hid the smuggled gun powder in the crematoria, some already compiled in tin cans as grenades. Due to the spontaneity of the uprising, what actually happened was that they set crematorium IV on fire (mattresses, bunks, etc.). The fire spread rapidly to the wooden rafters and roof of the construction, exploding some the hidden gun powder (which the sonderkommando could no longer retrieve), as well as oxygen bottles in the ovens region. The latter caused the blast, which sounded throughout the camp, and the collapse of one chimney.

(based on a recent study of Ronnen Haran; The sondercommando uprising in Birkenau: The destruction of crematorium IV. Moreshet - Journal of the Study of Holocaust and Antisemitism 15, 2018).

Maksym Chornyi

Post by Maksym Chornyi » 18 May 2019, 13:40

Yuli wrote:
17 May 2019, 13:12
Thank you for the interesting tour.

Question: Is there a more precise date for the inauguration of the extension camp of Auschwitz I? That is, the date it began to accommodate female prisoners? Was it surrounded by an electrified barbed wire fence and guard towers?

Comments to "In consequence of such underground activity of these four women, the sonderkommando members managed to blow up the Crematorium IV."

1. There were about 30 Jewish women involved in smuggling gun powder from Union. Only four were captured, tortured (without revealing any names of collaborators), and executed on January (5 or 6), 1945.

2. Contrary to current belief, and quite ironically, the sondercommando never actively used the smuggled Union gun powder to blow up crematorium IV. In fact, they did not even intend to do so. Their plan was to set the crematoria on fire and to use the gun powder in improvised grenades to break through the fences. They hid the smuggled gun powder in the crematoria, some already compiled in tin cans as grenades. Due to the spontaneity of the uprising, what actually happened was that they set crematorium IV on fire (mattresses, bunks, etc.). The fire spread rapidly to the wooden rafters and roof of the construction, exploding some the hidden gun powder (which the sonderkommando could no longer retrieve), as well as oxygen bottles in the ovens region. The latter caused the blast, which sounded throughout the camp, and the collapse of one chimney.

(based on a recent study of Ronnen Haran; The sondercommando uprising in Birkenau: The destruction of crematorium IV. Moreshet - Journal of the Study of Holocaust and Antisemitism 15, 2018).
Thank you for this source of information. As for this very extra of my article you have quotes, I have used the primary information from the USHMM

Yuli

Post by Yuli » 18 May 2019, 20:43

Then they should update their statements. The article I cited is quite new.

I wonder if anyone can answer my questions regarding the extension camp.
Is there a more precise date for the inauguration of the extension camp of Auschwitz I? That is, the date it began to accommodate female prisoners? Was it surrounded by an electrified barbed wire fence and guard towers?

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 18 May 2019, 21:59

The info you seek is all over the www, as is period (war years) pics of Auschwitz and the whole region and sub camps, Aerial views photo. by Allied and Axis planes..I got a couiple in one opf my Holocaust books, along with a map showing all the sub camps with names, etc. will see if I can find it and download

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”