IKL's Death cause Codes

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
trekker

IKL's Death cause Codes

Post by trekker » 22 Aug 2019, 10:32

In books dealing with Nazi criminal acitvity known as Eutanasia or T4 authors agree that IKL (which was division D of SS-WVHA since March 1942) used in its reports the code 14f13 when referring to killing of selected concentration camp prisoners in T4 centers.

All authors agree that it was a common practice of IKL to use codes for different death causes of prisoners and that codes started with 14f followed by a number. But, in addition to the code 14f13, there are two sets of codes presented by authors:

First:
14f1 = death through natural causes
14f2 = suicides or accidental deaths
14f3 = shot while trying to escape

It seems to me that the source of this information is the book:
Eugen Kogon: Nationalsozialistische Massentötungen durch Giftgas: Eine Dokumentation. Frankfurt: S. Fischer, 1983, p. 66

or its English edition:
Eugen Kogon; Hermann Langbein; Adalbert Rückerl: Nazi Mass Murder: A Documentary History of the Use of Poison Gas. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1993, p. 40

Second:
14f7 = death through natural causes
14f8 = suicides
14f14 = executions

It seems to me that the source of this information is the book:
Henry Friedlander: The Origins of Nazi Genocide: From Euthanasia to the Final Solution. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1995, p. 142 - 150

Now I should check both authors to see what were their sources and where the difference originated from. Unfortunately, the books are not available to me so I would appreciate if someone who can do it is willing to do it for the benefit of all those interested in the topic. I find it sad and disturbing that in more than two decades several authors have studied the topic and published their books without bothering to search for the truth. They either limited themselves to mention only the 14f13 code or they presented just one set of codes and pretended as if the other had never been mentioned. Exceptionally both sets of codes were mentioned but no effort to come to an end had been made. No wonder that holocaust denial and populism in general gain ground and mock of all scientific opinions.

Sejanus

Re: IKL's Death cause Codes

Post by Sejanus » 22 Aug 2019, 11:54

While I do not have the books you mention (nor regrettably an answer to the questions posed), does it make much difference what death code(s) were used by the SS? After all, there was no code for "patients" being murdered by the state that were not attempting to escape; the entire purpose in their being at such institutions in the first place was for them to be murdered in secret, as most of them were.

False causes of death were claimed to cover up the fact that the "patients" of such institutions were being systematically murdered, including falsified death certificates. Death codes were also likely just as fraudulently applied to the official records; in practice that makes the accuracy and truthfulness of any such death codes suspect.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 23 Aug 2019, 09:04

Though this edition of HF's book doesn't make it clear, the second set of the codes was specifically for the Soviet POWs, as just a couple minutes of trivial googling show.

trekker

Post by trekker » 23 Aug 2019, 10:06

Sejanus wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 11:54
/.../does it make much difference what death code(s) were used by the SS? /.../ Death codes were also likely just as fraudulently applied to the official records; in practice that makes the accuracy and truthfulness of any such death codes suspect.
I did not raise the question of how death codes were applied in practice and whether they were true in each particular case documented of a person killed.

Authors claim that several codes were used by IKL. They claim it is a fact - something that has been verified by them and therefore true. However, they name some of those codes in a way that is conflicting:

14f1 = death through natural causes
14f7 = death through natural causes

14f2 = suicides or accidental deaths
14f8 = suicides

In a serious approach such a state of the matter requires explanation and if necessary re-examination.

trekker

Post by trekker » 23 Aug 2019, 10:08

Sergey Romanov wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 09:04
Though this edition of HF's book doesn't make it clear, the second set of the codes was specifically for the Soviet POWs, as just a couple minutes of trivial googling show.
True, some authors wrote that 14f14 was used for executions of Soviet POW – but they didn't mention other codes as if it was applied only to Soviet POWs. Other authors mentioned codes 14f7, 14f8 and 14f14 without mentioning Soviet POW as if those codes were in general use.

Now, if I understand you well, you suggest that for Soviet POW a separate set of codes was used which did not apply to other concentration camp prisoners. That would mean that if a Soviet POW died of natural causes code 14f7 was applied but if any other (civilian) prisoner died of natural causes code 14f1 was applied.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 23 Aug 2019, 10:21

Yes, a separate set of codes was introduced by Richard Glücks on 21.10.41 (source: D. Czech, Auschwitz Chronicle). There's no confusion about this and nothing to "re-examine".

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 23 Aug 2019, 10:28

Screenshot_20190823_102640.jpg

trekker

Post by trekker » 23 Aug 2019, 11:07

Sergey Romanov wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 10:21
There's no confusion about this and nothing to "re-examine".
…. after your explanation. I thank you for your help.

Re-examination was necessary for me in this case and I believe it is from time to time necessary in general.

trekker

Post by trekker » 29 Oct 2019, 10:34

Thank you, Sergej. That's a great post.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”